EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   is the STi Maitenance cost the same as the Evo ? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/125513-sti-maitenance-cost-same-evo.html)

EvoHo Mar 1, 2005 07:24 AM

is the STi Maitenance cost the same as the Evo ?

i was just curious at what the STi was looking at for maintenance costs.....i only hear that the Evo costs so much in maintenance but never hear anything about the STi.

adamhw Mar 1, 2005 07:31 AM

my evo's maitenece was free, for I believe 45,000 miles.

boomn29 Mar 1, 2005 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by adamhw
my evo's maitenece was free, for I believe 45,000 miles.

That's something new from Mitsubishi. They didn't do that free stuff for the '03 models.

Also, I didn't think it was 45k miles....can't recall that stupid commercial.

Dragonfly5338 Mar 1, 2005 07:33 AM

sti is just as bad, man.. (my bf has one)

Greg K Mar 1, 2005 07:46 AM

maintainence costs are high on any high performance car corvette, m3, sti, porsche, or evo. sticky rubber, grippy brake pads, synthetic fluids, and premium fuel drives up the price, but these things are common to any sporty car.

EvoHo Mar 1, 2005 07:50 AM

yea i know maintenance is high on performance cars but magazines like car and drive and road and track rip on the Evo for having to pay X amount of cash for the front brake pads alone.......i never hear anybody rip on the STi for whatever they gotta pay for it, it just makes ppl assume that the STi is a cheaper car to maintain than the Evo

Greg K Mar 1, 2005 07:55 AM

havent bought pads yet, but when I do I'm going to buy ferodo's which cost the same for the evo and sti. I personally think they were just looking for any flaw to point out. Kinda like the "bigger gas tank" quote from motortrend. it's a good car to me and I dont regret my decision at all.

Ev0 loo shun Mar 1, 2005 07:59 AM

STi's matience is more,i remember reading it in a super street or SCC. break replacements, and other things, everything is more expensive

astrocreep96 Mar 1, 2005 08:14 AM

Everything is expensive if you go to the dealer. The brakes are outrageous from Mitsubishi, but thats why the aftermarket exists.

evolved04 Mar 1, 2005 08:20 AM

^ beat me to it. you have to understand that when magazine companies test cars "long term" they use OEM parts that are purchased and installed at the dealer. i dont know anyone that has replaced pads (or tires) with the stockers, at the dealer. you can do your own brakes, with better pads in your garage for 1/2 what the stealership charges.

TurboWill Mar 1, 2005 08:55 AM

In the STi you don't have to run Mobil 1. So you can save money on oil.

nasti Mar 1, 2005 09:22 AM

If you replace anything not covered under warranty with stock parts from the dealership you are dumb.

EvoHo Mar 2, 2005 07:01 AM

aftermarket aside, i was just wondering what STi owner's where looking at costs.....i'm pretty much just curious about mitsu dealer cost to subbie dealer cost....it's something nice to know if one was going to buy either car because they could look at what they'll be paying down the road if one was forced to go to dealership due to lack of aftermarket shops or didn't feel comfortable going to any other shop

steveevo8 Mar 2, 2005 07:29 AM

if you think about it logically parts and such are all around the same price, but the labor will be very expensive on the sti compared to the evo... i mean have you ever seen the engine on an wrx or sti??

chrisfx811 Mar 2, 2005 07:37 AM

maintenance costs?
oil changes are about the same for either car. owners of both cars are generally anal and use synthetic on their cars.
tranny and rear diff fluid change @ 30k.
actually i changed both @ 20k ;)
tires: on my sti i got 20+k out of my stock re070, but i have seen some owners need tires anywhere from 10-25k, just depends on driving style
brake pads: def not getting the midas lifetime pads for this car

i can't imagine the maintenance costs being all that different.
now engine work is probably another story altogether