EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   About Intercooler spray? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/16204-about-intercooler-spray.html)

Obsoleteasian Mar 11, 2003 09:48 PM

About Intercooler spray?

has anyone tried filling this up. does anyone know hwo much is to full. I was pooring some water and i noticed thier is a tube that empties out to the ground over a certain amount. i am guessing so you don't overfill it.. can someone else clairfy this?

Fireball Mar 11, 2003 10:12 PM

Re: About Intercooler spray?

Originally posted by Obsoleteasian
has anyone tried filling this up. does anyone know hwo much is to full. I was pooring some water and i noticed thier is a tube that empties out to the ground over a certain amount. i am guessing so you don't overfill it.. can someone else clairfy this?
Yep, correct. When our tech was PDI'ing the car, he filled it to the brim and then we all watched in amazement as it all drained out onto the floor. :)

You can't fill the neck of the Intercooler bottle, as far up as the drain hose is.

Why, I have no idea. :confused:

MalibuJack Mar 11, 2003 10:47 PM

its probably because if you overfilled it, it could splash water all over the place.. The tube lets it drain somewhere outside the car... In theory if your going around a turn at speed, the water would splash up the side, so the higher it is, the more likely it would reach the top and spill out or leak from the cap..

Obsoleteasian Mar 11, 2003 10:54 PM

I don't mind it it makes it easier to fill it.. plus i was hoping it wasn't me and they forgot to plug in my intercooler spray. ^_^

Sano Mar 11, 2003 11:00 PM

Is the fluid windshield washer fluid or is it water. I have yet to use mine becuase it only has 250 miles on it. Will you feel a difference using this button.:dunno:

MalibuJack Mar 11, 2003 11:05 PM

It makes sense that its washer fluid.. doesnt freeze easily in colder weather.. I guess you could use water too, but then I can see it freezing during the winter and possibly damaging something, however during the winter, it seems pointless to have the spray enabled anyway..

rooster Mar 11, 2003 11:29 PM

The washer fluid evaps. at a cooler temp than plain water.:mitsu:

Obsoleteasian Mar 11, 2003 11:45 PM

Hmmm.. ok.. question... big debation within myself and figuring out.. What are people using to fill up thier incooler spray with.. Water. . or washer fluid??..

WannaRace Mar 11, 2003 11:46 PM

I would like to know as well..Especially with these freezing winters, what should I do now and in the summer..?

rooster Mar 12, 2003 12:36 AM

Washer fluid

tekkman69 Mar 12, 2003 01:19 AM

what type of washer fluid is what i would like to know because there are exspensive and there are cheap, or does it really matter:dunno: just curious

Finch106 Mar 12, 2003 01:23 AM

I guess you could ask the tech at the dealer what he's putting in it.

91TB78 Mar 12, 2003 05:52 AM

I'd go for the cheaper kind of washer fluid. The more expensive are usually designed for bug and tar removal. You could look for some alcohol based washer fluids since alcohol evaps at a MUCH quicker rate than water.

MalibuJack Mar 12, 2003 09:37 AM

Careful with alcohol though.. It could oxidize aluminum, and dry out the rubber lines, and other potential problems.. Not to mention the possibility with fire using anything thats flamable.. Isn't the turbo and exhaust manifold in the FRONT of the engine.. My neon has the exhaust to the rear.. Most washer fluids FREEZE at a lower temp.. Evaporation depends on the ratio of water to it.. Some are glycol based (sorta like antifreeze) and some are alcohol.. See what the manual recommends.. you'd be really unhappy if you damaged or gummed up the works with the wrong stuff..

MR.MITSU Mar 12, 2003 11:36 AM

The solvent should be a WATER basied windsheild solvent, not Alcohol based--- just because of the flamability issue. And only those of you in the freezing northern climates should even worry about this.... don't use it unless you have too. The windshield washer solution is still mildly caustic enough to damage the painted finish on your front facia and the mesh grille if allowed to dry and sit on the finish long enough. I remember permanently stained hoods from drippy spray nozels.