EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Blow Off Valve for EVO questions... (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/17577-blow-off-valve-evo-questions.html)

Daveyd Mar 24, 2003 10:33 AM

Blow Off Valve for EVO questions...

1. Is it "necessary"?

2. Will it improve performance?

3. Will one void the warranty?

RTW EVO Mar 24, 2003 10:37 AM

and if i can add to you Q's - are there any out there that will fit... i'm loking for one now and have yet to find one that i am loking for.. hopefully the turbo xs type h RFL - sounds amayzing on my roomates wrx

zyounker Mar 24, 2003 10:54 AM

Usually a BOV is just for the sound. But sometimes when a stock BOV can't hold boost well, it needs to be upgraded.

Normally you wouldnt need one, but from some reports i have heard, and the fact the stock BOV is plastic.. Yeah. you will probably want to upgrade it.

Note: if you vent it to atmosphere you will need to tune around it or it will run pig rich when you blow off.

-Zach

MalibuJack Mar 24, 2003 10:54 AM

Well.. a blowoff valve isn't necessarily needed unless its bleeding because you've increased your boost pressure... most BOV's that these tuners install are usually for the 'Sound' but what it is really for is to bleed off excess boost pressure in the intake tract if you suddenly close the throttle (decelerate)

Normally you'd swap your BOV when you added a boost controller.. If you significantly raised your boost levels, a stock (or weaker) valve could end up bleeding off pressure at the higher boost levels, therefore defeating the advantages of a boost controler.

They are a bit loud if their vented to the atmosphere, which is what most aftermarkets do, which is a dead giveaway that you have modified something.

Fireball Mar 24, 2003 10:56 AM

I've also been told, YES, it will void your warranty.

MalibuJack Mar 24, 2003 10:58 AM

Oh.. and yes, it probably would void your turbo's warranty... A boost controller probably will also.

An exhaust system, tubular exhaust manifold, intake modifications, and ducting probably would not.. Odds are these mods would have a bigger affect on performance than a BOV/Boost controller at this time, until ECU's can be optimized to take advantage of the modifications.

Has anyone actually noticed boost bleedoff from the stock BOV yet?

zyounker Mar 24, 2003 11:12 AM

Originally posted by MalibuJack
Has anyone actually noticed boost bleedoff from the stock BOV yet?

Yep.. I believe it was bucher.. They didn't think it was, but when they switched it to a 1st gen DSM BOV, it gained like 14WHP@19psi. But those #s might be off. i forget where i read that.

-Zach

concordmitsunet Mar 24, 2003 12:18 PM

i also heard this stock b.o.v. isnt the best, if you look at it, you can tell it just cheap... look heres the best way to go, the second generation turbo eclipse has the exact same mounting as the evo for the greddy type s bov, and that is because it is the same design on the outside as the stock one, it makes the car run the best because it recirculates the air, and still sounds good even when its vented back into the car, the best part is, switching it with this stock one just involves the two screws that tighten it into place.... so you could switch when bringing it in if your dealer is a stickler, i know mine doesnt care as long as everything is hooked up like the stock one is, because it has the same function and runs that same AS LONG AS its vented back in which the greddy type s does....
SUMMARY
1. 95-99eclipse/talon turbo -greddy type s- fits exactly the same as the stock bov.
2. Even vented back in the type s is great sounding and easily heard
3. Inexpensive (175-225) and can easily be switched when bringing car to the dealer.
4. Looks pretty sharp too ;-)

SouthernCrane Mar 24, 2003 12:39 PM

Thx for the info. concordmitsunet{thumbup}

Coolguy949 Mar 24, 2003 01:00 PM

Hmm, concord....are you sure the stock EVO BOV has the same flange as the type S? When looking at the evo in the showroom, it looked more like the same flange for the 2G eclipse....no screws, just a hose clamp. I think you are talking about the Greddy Type S eclipse "kit" that comes with a flage adapted to fit in the stock hose clamp flange in the 2G dsm. If the upper IC pipe in the EVO is a good one, that may be the best rout to take.....if it has any kinks i'll definately be getting a new UIP.

concordmitsunet Mar 24, 2003 01:07 PM

yeah you need the kit that makes the greddy bov fit the second gen95-99 eclipse, wait lemme take a look at it real quick.... yeah i was right, thats why i didnt just say get the greddy bov, because that adaptor for the 2gen is what allows you to use the factory mitsu evo hose clamps and fit it right into place, that extra peice (basically it just bolts to the valve which is actually built to go directly onto greddy's har intercooler piping kit and makes it onto a simple pipe that will slide right into the evo (or of course second gen. eclipse) inlet) its like 15-20 dollars if you dont buy it with the greddy bov as a set...

djdaizzy Mar 24, 2003 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Fireball
I've also been told, YES, it will void your warranty.

It depends on your dealer really. Technically, no body can "VOID" your warranty. They can decline service, but they're not "suppose" to void your entire warranty. Long story short, according to the law(The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act ), a manufactor can decline service on a factory part that was demaged by an aftmartket part, but they can not decline service on a part just because you have an aftermarket part installed. Example, they can't decline warranty work on your air conditioning unit because you have after market suspention. This is the law, most dealers and regional service reps are aware of it. Dealer's shops are usually not the ones that would raise a problem(unless they're just jerks and don't feel like messing with the manufactor's regional rep), they love warranty work, cause they get pay big bucks by the book. But they do have to have approval by the regional technical rep before they can do the work.

vudoodoodoo Mar 24, 2003 03:26 PM

It depends if the stock BOV sucks. They guys above have said that it is plastic. The 2G DSM BOV's were also plastic and they kinda sucked. 2G DSM guys usually replace it with a 1G BOV. That is the least expensive alternative. The 1G BOV is metal and is very good. I believe it holds up to 21 PSI of boost.
I don't remember the location of the stock EVO BOV. If it's the same as the DSM location, those adapter kits for the aftermarket BOV's might be able to work. HKS, Greddy, etc. all have their specific adapters.
You will run rich if you get the vented BOV's.

Obsoleteasian Mar 24, 2003 03:37 PM

good response concord, i was looking trying to findlinksfor these such items do you know exact model number or links to where these items are located, and such, also whereis aplace where ican read and print out the entire warrenty act. Knowledge is power.

Coolguy949 Mar 24, 2003 04:21 PM

The Greddy type S is about 200 bucks. THe DSM adapter is like 15 - 25 I think. I've got my old Type S if I sell my eclipse but I'll need the adapter since I have an afterparket upper IC pipe. That's probably the safest method to use with warranty issues because the only thing holding the BOV's is the hose clamp. All you do is losen the clamp to swap valves. Very straight-forward!

Rob{thumbup}