EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   I own an STi, I'm looking at an EVO (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/183142-i-own-sti-im-looking-evo.html)

IMAAaron Feb 7, 2006 11:00 AM

I own an STi, I'm looking at an EVO

Ok, not that I'm tired with my car, but I've owned it for nearly over a year and I already have 31k miles. Love the car, wouldn't normally get rid of it, BUT: The local Mitsu dealer has an RS. I'm thinking if the price to upgrade is right, it might be worth it to delete the year and mileage. Nevermind get the seats I want, from a previous post.

I would like to stop by the dealer today. I need VERY honest opinions, hopefully not too EVO biased. What should I watch out for with EVO's, rather, what will I regret? As far as longevity, is it better to rack up ~150k miles on a high-reving inline 4 or boxer 4 that requires almost a days work for a spark plug change?

I realize that I'm going to miss some things with the RS that the MR would satisfy. Are there any HP differences between the two?

Things that I am going to miss on the RS that I have on the STi (please add to the list, I want to make sure I can live without this stuff.):

1. 6-speed
2. in-dash changer
3. power windows
4. power doorlocks
5. side airbags
6. driver controlled center diff
7. spoiler
8. xenon (i think) headlights

Give me a sales pitch. Is it worth it? Is it greedy? let me know.

pharmd98 Feb 7, 2006 11:03 AM

you need a mr, not rs

Jakeg97 Feb 7, 2006 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by IMAAaron

1. 6-speed
2. in-dash changer
3. power windows
4. power doorlocks
5. side airbags
7. spoiler
8. xenon (i think) headlights

9. better interior

its a big step loosing all that ^^
but if you want the quickest stock, raw evo than the rs should be your choice.

hp /. tq is same on all 9 models. its the weight that makes the difference

Sleeper2G Feb 7, 2006 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jakeg97
its a big step loosing all that ^^
but if you want the quickest stock, raw evo than the rs should be your choice.

hp /. tq is same on all 9 models. its the weight that makes the difference

+1

GinuwineEvo8 Feb 7, 2006 11:24 AM

You'll also be losing ABS ...

i11matticc Feb 7, 2006 11:26 AM

I think you will regret buying the RS to be honest. Coming from the sti world, the minimal sound deadening, and lack of comfort creatures of the RS will be hard to overcome. Plus, youve owned your car for 1 year and drove 31,000 miles, thats alot of highway miles and driving. Switching from the sti to an RS will be even worse for your situation because the RS will be a royal pain on long trips and highway driving. (Remember no cruise control either)

If youre gonna switch over, i recommend either the regular 5speed gsr or the MR, i think the RS is too much of a change for you to be comfortable about your decision. Just my .02

ksattic Feb 7, 2006 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by IMAAaron

The RS has an active centre diff just like the IX and MR, with three modes: tarmac, gravel and snow.

Happy Madison Feb 7, 2006 11:30 AM

if it were me, i would NOT trade an Sti for an RS. it's a downgrade imo.

jjm4life Feb 7, 2006 11:36 AM

yea i dont think you'd be too happy with a rs. its going to be louder and have a lot less overall comfort than your sti. 31k has got to be all highway miles and i cant imagine not having a few of the things the rs comes without (but i have an 05 with ssl). if you really want an evo maybe a regular 9 or a MR is what you should be looking at. the rs is hardcore

lvNVevo Feb 7, 2006 11:39 AM

i dont think you would be happy with the RS. If you looking for an outright car to just race go for it. Other wise you are downgrading to a car that has less options than the one you own already.

BluByWho Feb 7, 2006 11:40 AM

you have a pm

b204dr Feb 7, 2006 11:42 AM

rs would be a downgrade imo ! keep the sti.

IMAAaron Feb 7, 2006 11:45 AM

I have to admit that there's a coolness about the stripped racecar but I'm having a hard time swallowing the keyless entry and door locks. Thanks for all the input! Keep it comin...

Happy Madison Feb 7, 2006 11:55 AM

maybe try finding a new VIII ('05) instead of the IX rs. should be close to same price.

VW4life Feb 7, 2006 11:59 AM

Why does everyone hate on the RS? Are you going to be racing this car or just daily driving it with a few trips to the strip or autocross?

I sold my regular 8 to get an RS because it's just more RAW. I love the car to death and the only reason I wouldn't buy the RS would be I would be buying for more comfort (ie. skip the MR and go to the STI).

MR to me isn't worth the money. I'm not buying anything "I" want and only adding to my monthly payments (or final cost).

My RS sits in my driveway 5-6 days a week. I race it on the weekend or take it out just for ****s and grins.