EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Radar detectors and their legality. *Please read* (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/199496-radar-detectors-their-legality-please-read.html)

Eggy May 5, 2006 07:27 PM

Radar detectors and their legality. *Please read*

Please don't tell me to search as this isn't your average run of the mill "Are radar dectors legal"? kind of generic post.

When I buy the Evo I will be driving it back to Canada, and then driving it in Canada for a year (Please don't ask me how, I have discussed this a number of times in previous threads). The car will have American plates and insurance, etc. etc. but I am just wondering if I would get in a lot of trouble for using a radar detector in Canada even though I will be driving in Canada as an American citizen.

I have heard a lot of stories from people saying that cops can't really do anything in Canada to American drivers, so I was just wondering if I would be told "Hey buddy, those things are illegal here so be careful!" or if I would actually get a ticket if I was caught with a radar detector.

Anyone have any experiences they would like to share? If not with radar detectors, then with speeding, etc. in Canada.

If I won't get in trouble I'll be grabbing one as soon as I grab the evo.

-Aaron

djskyy May 5, 2006 07:31 PM

obey your local laws....if it says you can't have it, don't complain when you get a ticket...

EvolvinEvo May 5, 2006 07:38 PM

I go to vancouver, canada all the time in my car with my valentine 1 in plain sight never been hassled about it from the canadian border patrol. never knew it was illegal there.

Eggy May 5, 2006 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by djskyy
obey your local laws....if it says you can't have it, don't complain when you get a ticket...

I was simply curious to see if anyone has gotten a ticket or knows how the system works with regards to Canadian police giving tickets to Americans.

I'll give you a quick little story as an example.

About 7 friends and I went to a parking lot at about midnight to take a shoot of our cars. We line them all up and start shooting.

Withing 5 mintutes about 7 squd cars show up with their lights and sirens blaring. The cops get out and ask what we're doing, and then proceed to ask everyone to pop their hoods.

I was driving my accord with Canadian plates, and nothing but audio in terms of modifications, so I didn't get a ticket.

There were a few other people with Canadian plates with small engine mods such as intake, etc. who got fairly hefty tickets for them (arond 200 IIRC).

The one person that didn't get a ticket, was the guy who was driving a completely modded 240 sx with sr20 swap, catless exhaust, the works. He was told "You know you're not allowed to do that over here right? I don't know what the laws are in New Jersey but here those things will get you some serious tickets". And walked away.

So, how much power to Canadian cops really have?

zupber4930 May 5, 2006 07:39 PM

Radar detectors of ANY kind are illegal in Canada and the RCMP's WILL make you DESTROY it in front of them!

Eggy May 5, 2006 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dragon41673
Radar detectors of ANY kind are illegal in Canada and the RCMP's WILL make you DESTROY it in front of them!

Has this actually happened to you? That's brutal...

derangedazn May 5, 2006 08:05 PM

I would venture to say it would be like driving in VA with a radar detector even if you are from a different state. I think using a radar detector is illegal. It all depends on how serous they want to enforce the law. I know in VA, they dont care what state you are from. I have been a passenger in vehicles where that have recieved tickets for radar usage even though they have modified their cars. The state trooper stated that "there are signs that state radar usage is illegal on the highways, but engine modifications are not." So that is why he gave my friend a ticket.

ford381stroker May 5, 2006 10:12 PM

i had a room mate in college from there and he talked about stuff up there. he was suprised how we get away with so much stuff down here. i took that as the cops are much more strict up there. i wouldn't risk it. just hide it when you cross the border.

Mr.Evilution May 6, 2006 12:03 AM

IMO...those radar isn't really help....i just put mine away 2 months ago...
i have so many time have cop behind me and i don't pick up a singal.....maybe they are not turning the radar on........and it's easy talk them off a ticket when you don't have a detector. my 2 cents

imajinmyfx May 6, 2006 12:20 AM

its kinda like talking on your cell phone while driving. its illegal in some places and not illegal (im not saying its legal either) in others. so i guess it doesnt matter where your from. if its illegal its illegal.

Eggy May 6, 2006 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by MPORT2NR
i have these in stock at my shop and can ship check em out

www.k40.com

i have one in my evo totally hidden and wireless so they wont even know its there! PM me for pricing

Wow, that is very stealth!

Can you pm me with some details? I would probably have it shipped to Cali. Can I get it installed there?

Is anyone else using this??? Looks really pimp :)

jayhawker May 6, 2006 07:21 AM

Well, I am not to sure about the Canadian laws but I doubt that having a US plate will get you any better treatment.

I think the K40 is a nice piece and has a very trick install with bluetooth, but I have found that the X50 picks up radar better. Here in AZ detectors are still legal and now more than anything, we are in need of "plate covers" for all the dam photo radar cameras that are in the Valley.

Ph3n1x May 6, 2006 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by whohat
ive heard they put it under your tire and make you drive over it.
there are ways of concealing your radar detector...

and there are ways for them to detect it also...

Ph3n1x May 6, 2006 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dragon41673

don't forget the fine too....

adamhw May 6, 2006 01:24 PM

It depends what provence od canada you are in. In most areas any form of radar detection is illegal. If caught, they will take you detector on spot, and possibly fine you. I go to ontario pretty often, but leave my x50 at home, in the US. I believe they are legal in vancoover, but almost anythings legal there;) .

radar detectors are legal in Alberta, Saskatchewan and BC