EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Is if safe to drive with a bad EGR valve? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/209316-if-safe-drive-bad-egr-valve.html)

rcheung Jul 1, 2006 11:05 AM

Is if safe to drive with a bad EGR valve?

My check engine light came on yesterday. I dont have a scanner so I went to my mechanic to get it checked out. I don't remember the code but the problem was egr solenoid malfunction. He deteremined it to be a bad egr valve. When I went home I also checked all the connectors and hoses in the intake manifold and they were fine. I then put the car on ramps and checked the three black striped hoses connecting to the EGR valve and they were fine also. The EGR valve is already being ordered. Is it safe to drive the car in the meantime? Will I have any performance issues?

rcheung Jul 2, 2006 09:54 AM

bump

superflyevo Jul 2, 2006 10:31 AM

yep
you dont even really need it it is jus a emissions thing
alot of people buy block off plates
but with out it the car is gonna run kinda ruff

GreddyEvo Jul 2, 2006 01:13 PM

I have the block off plate and mine doesnt run rough. Keeps all that bs out of the intake manifold!

evolution_racer Jul 2, 2006 05:40 PM

You're car might run a little hot with it blocked off but no biggie :D

ballistic speed Jul 2, 2006 05:41 PM

Yes, the ERG valve is for emissions controll, it vents some exhaust gas back to the intake, thats all.

EvoG8r Jul 2, 2006 06:50 PM

I had that error code once and I disconected my battery to reset the ECU. Then I checked all my fittings and made sure everything was tight. I've never had the code since.

rcheung Jul 3, 2006 04:44 AM

I had the light reset by the OBD2 scanner. It was gone for about 20 miles then came right back on.

Originally Posted by EvoG8r
I had that error code once and I disconected my battery to reset the ECU. Then I checked all my fittings and made sure everything was tight. I've never had the code since.

Ludikraut Jul 3, 2006 12:21 PM

No worries, you can drive without it. It's just annoying to see the CEL come on all the time. :)

l8r)

EvoDan2004 Jul 3, 2006 12:28 PM

where do you get all the stuff to block it off. is it recommended??

superflyevo Jul 3, 2006 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by evodan2004
where do you get all the stuff to block it off. is it recommended??

call buschur or ams

ModifiedMR Jul 3, 2006 02:18 PM

Do you think the heat of the summer could be causing evo's to throw this code? I've heard of a few people having this problem lately. I don't much about it so im just making a suggestion because my evo threw the light and i disconnected the battery and its been fine since with no more code.

High_PSI Jul 3, 2006 04:35 PM

Mine was clogged on my 2G DSM and created a bad vaccum and sucked back the gasket under my valve cover and cover my engine bay with oil, twice.

EvoDan2004 Jul 3, 2006 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by superflyevo
call buschur or ams

and what will they say????

rcheung Jul 4, 2006 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by ModifiedMR
Do you think the heat of the summer could be causing evo's to throw this code? I've heard of a few people having this problem lately. I don't much about it so im just making a suggestion because my evo threw the light and i disconnected the battery and its been fine since with no more code.

The only reason I don't think its the heat of the summer is because this is the third summer I've had my EVO and the first time this code popped up. Maybe they dont last too long.