EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Trying to decide on which model for a new EVO IX...MR worth it or not?? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/216202-trying-decide-model-new-evo-ix-mr-worth-not.html)

JDMevoBOOST Aug 7, 2006 01:35 PM

Trying to decide on which model for a new EVO IX...MR worth it or not??

OK well I know I have seen at least 10 other threads with a similar title....but all of the OP's were pretty vague and didn't really have an idea of what they wanted and didn't research the car and learn more about it before they started asking. Hopefully this long ass post can be used by other future Evo IX owners so they can kind of see the options they have if they dont see a model that specifically fits their needs.

Just for a little background I plan on buying a brand new Evo in cash to be a fun daily driver. My road racecar is a 2001 Integra Type-R and yes I know the car has no torque and is expensive to mod with very little gain in power (thats what the evo is for :lol: )

I know the Evo is getting stolen also, but I am willing to get a GPS alarm and other security devices and nothing can be worse than the Integra as far as getting stolen.

MY SPECIFIC USE FOR THE EVO:

The Evo will be used for some HPDE and street driving. I'm looking for around 330 WHP and I know that it only takes a couple well thought out mods to get there TBE+MBC+flash. :D The main reason I want the Evo is because I need something fast and fun that I don't have to worry about getting stolen if I go to the mall. My Integra drives me insane because if I do take it out I have to remove the steering wheel and all other kinds of crap which is annoying.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________

Concerns I have with the MR:

The dilemma I am running into now is that I can't decide whether the MR is worth the 7k-8k difference in price over the RS. I am worried about all the people having problems with the 6-speed tranny and I would take the 5-speed if that meant a more reliable transmission.

For either of the three Evo's I would be getting different suspension and different wheels so the Bilsteins and the BBS wheels dont make too much of a difference to me, but I really like the OEM HID and it would cost 1500+ to get OEM HID onto the RS or GSR....(dont like the SSL because of the sunroof)

MY PROBLEM

I'm trying to get everything I want and nothing I don't, which I know is not going to happen, but from a price standpoint I'd like to figure out what my best option is.

So let us look at some numbers
:

1) In Northern Cali I could probably get the RS down to 24,500 +T/L w/ government fleet discount and graduate discount

**I would then want to add the HID and the power windows and locks <---this is where I need your guys help on the estimated cost of adding these two things.

**I would also want to paint the mirrors and other unpainted areas, could sell shocks

-the obvious downsides to the RS is that the color choice is limited, no ABS
-upside is that it's lightweight and cheap!

2) I could get the GSR for 27,500 +T/L with above discounts

**I would still have to add HID, could sell the shocks

-downside is the loss of the aluminum roof
-upside is tons of color choices of which I would get black

3) I could get the MR for around 31,500 + T/L with the above discounts

**not much I would sell off besides the Bilsteins, vortex generator, three center guages

-downside is the questionably fragile tranny and high price/limited color choice
-upside better stock wheels/shocks , comes with HID and appearance package

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________

So now looking at this the RS is looking pretty nice as long as putting in the HID and power doorlocks and windows is not too expensive...the extra $5000 saved after the HID and interior stuff is added could be used for nice wheels/tires/coilovers/TBE/MBC/Flash and paint for mirrors and such. I would definitely be satisfied with WW.

The GSR is also looking pretty nice because I would get the color I want and all the power window/door lock for $3,000 over the RS, which is nice....but I'd still have to add the OEM HID, wich would bring me sort of close to MR pricing :updown: dammit why cant the GSR come with aluminum roof......if it did my mind would be made up.....I would be left over with about $2000 for coilovers and a TBE

The MR is looking like a good deal also because of the better wheels and appearance package while retaining the aluminum roof.....but the 6-speed problems people are having are worrying the **** out of me :crap: and all of the extras I'm gonna add to the car are going to be on top.

So if you guys can help me on the prices for OEM HID and power door panels and switches and stuff that would be great!!! {thumbup} :helpme:

tirbolag9 Aug 7, 2006 01:57 PM

i'd say get the MR. i would have to disagree with the 6 speed tranny. i've read many threads where the 6speed tranny is great and read that its has too many gears and what not. so i haven't have any problems with mine (haven't raced it on the track yet). if you are gonna drag...5 speed is the way to go. road race or hpde....6 speed is a good choice.

the MR has everything you want. if you like the 5 speed, sell your tranny and i'm sure there will be someone willing to trade or buy...the only thing is you lose warranty, but that's if you care about warranty.

you get the RS, you add the power windows, add aftermarket hid's, and if you want, purchase a 6 speed tranny.

the price for the MR that you were quoted for i think is dirt cheap. i'd get up on that if i got that price. i paid 34 out the door for my ix mr.

hope this helps a bit.

inco9nito99 Aug 7, 2006 02:04 PM

Go to South Coast Mitsubishi, pick up an IX RS for $25,500 + TTL and throw on aftermarket 5K HID's..simple :).

ChrisA Aug 7, 2006 02:07 PM

I say go for the MR

jkim1201 Aug 7, 2006 02:08 PM

MR all the way... Worth every penny that you'll spend on it.

Mekanic Aug 7, 2006 02:11 PM

From what I just read I'd say wait a month or 2 and get the GSR with the SE package.

Then you get all you want, including the HID's for 3k less than an MR

JDMevoBOOST Aug 7, 2006 02:11 PM

The car won't be dragged at all. I'll have fun with it on the street, but it will never be launched or anything of that sort. I want the transmission to remain as reliable as possible so no dragging for me.

HPDE and road courses are where I get my kicks :)

And as far as adding aftermarket HID to the car.....I dont mind aftermarket ballast, but I really want to have the OEM HID headlights I dont care JDM or USDM, but I want the cutoff to look correct. I can't stand HID in a non-HID housing with the beam pattern all over the place.

That's why the cost is gonna be expensive and I know it and it's worth it to me. I have seen prices for 1800 shipped for the headlights and ballast all OEM and all NEW. :mitsu:

And the SE sounds like a good idea IF it were really 3000 cheaper....but from what I hear it's going to be maybe $1000 less than the MR.....so I dunno if it's worth it....and I like the normal seats better anyway....if only the stitching was NOT in the inserts hahah

I don't think a lot of people realize that ALL the EVO's come with MR in the name in Japan hahah.....so all of the people in the US that are jocking the MR nameplate just to have an "MR" are falling for Mitsu of America's marketing scheme.....my cousin was telling me....dude u have to get the MR......but in Japan they are all MR roffle so I dont think I will be unhappy with either.

jkim1201 Aug 7, 2006 02:25 PM

Here's little info on evo in Japan.
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/e...eup/index.html

NoTec Aug 7, 2006 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST

And the SE sounds like a good idea IF it were really 3000 cheaper....but from what I hear it's going to be maybe $1000 less than the MR.....so I dunno if it's worth it....and I like the normal seats better anyway....if only the stitching was NOT in the inserts hahah

You've been misinformed. The SE is going to be about 1600-1800 more thane the standard gsr. Check KBB.com or Edmunds for reference. Sounds like thats the car you want.

91TB78 Aug 7, 2006 02:30 PM

OEM HIDS from the dealer...$1K+
Power windows and lock...$500 with install...+/-

I'd go with the MR. I originally wanted the RS, but that's b/c I didn't plan on adding the HIDS and power accessories you're looking for. If this is a daily driver, the MR is a more logical choice. If you want a fun car that doesn't cost much, get the RS.

Mekanic Aug 7, 2006 02:40 PM

yeah, but he said he wants to change the suspention, wheels, basicly everything that makes an MR an MR, minus the 6-speed.

I was in the same boat you are in, wanted almost the same thing. And was going to get the SE.

Now that I've realized I'm not going to change the suspention or wheels, I'm gonna go MR.

But for what you want the SE sounds right up your ally.

P.S: I dun like the red stiched seats either

-=SPECTRE=- Aug 7, 2006 02:41 PM

HPDE and road courses are where I get my kicks
then you want a GSR or MR.

stingerbtry Aug 7, 2006 02:42 PM

I was actually in the same dilema and went from wanting an RS to leaving with a GSR and then returning it and getting the MR. I don't regret the decision one bit and LOVE the MR. It has everything that I want and it's all OEM and doesn't void anything. I was going to be somewhat content with the GSR with OEM HID added due to the small bit of savings until the dealership told me that adding HID, albeit OEM, would still void the warranty since the wiring wasn't the same and not meant to handle the increased load. I say MR ALL THE WAY!

UCB Aug 7, 2006 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST

And as far as adding aftermarket HID to the car.....I dont mind aftermarket ballast, but I really want to have the OEM HID headlights I dont care JDM or USDM, but I want the cutoff to look correct. I can't stand HID in a non-HID housing with the beam pattern all over the place.

That's why the cost is gonna be expensive and I know it and it's worth it to me. I have seen prices for 1800 shipped for the headlights and ballast all OEM and all NEW. :mitsu:

YOu just need the housings, you can get cheaper used OEM bulbs/ballasts. And dont buy em from the dealer, used HID housing lights go for 5-600

I have properly rebased oem bulb sin my halogen projectors and the cutoff is just as good
{thumbup}

Id get the GSR if I were you, 27.5k is a nice price

Eggy Aug 7, 2006 02:48 PM

how the hell can you get an MR for 31,500?????? I would love to get one for that price.