EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   what size o2 sensor socket? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/224024-what-size-o2-sensor-socket.html)

19psi Sep 17, 2006 09:02 PM

what size o2 sensor socket?

I am trying to change my stock cat on a evo9.
what size is the o2 sensor socket before I go and order a bunch of wrong ones.

Thanks in advance.

19psi Sep 17, 2006 09:13 PM

nevermind. found it.

john3e8 Sep 17, 2006 09:15 PM

I used a 22mm (or 7/8") o2 socket when I changed my sensor on the O2 housing . It should be the same for the one on the exhaust. Definately buy the special o2 socket it makes life a lot easier.

jkim1201 Sep 17, 2006 09:17 PM

I believe they are 17mm Go to auto store, and grab o2 socket which has opening on the side of socket and pb blaster. Apply good amount of pb blaster onto o2 bung area, and use o2 socket and breaker bar. It can be pain in the ass if you don't use those, and I've seen many people messing up their o2 sensor.

elhalisf Sep 17, 2006 09:19 PM

just use an adjustable wrench.

cdupont03 Sep 17, 2006 09:41 PM

Yeah dont ever use an adjustable wrench. Unless you want to strip your O2 sensor.

jkim1201 Sep 17, 2006 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by cdupont03
Yeah dont ever use an adjustable wrench. Unless you want to strip your O2 sensor.

+1
Don't risk yourself when doing this. It can cost you hundreds of dollar to replace that o2 sensor. I have seen few guys actually strip **** out of it. $10 worth of part can save you time and money. :D

jeremy92awd Sep 17, 2006 09:47 PM

Got to love the Polish fit all

elhalisf Sep 17, 2006 10:09 PM

you dont use an adjustable wrench for the front one, but you CAN use it for the rear one.
out of the 10 or so O2 sensors i have removed, i have always used an adjustable wrench and never even came close to stripping one.
also, the sockets they provide at parts store is a 7/8", which is not a 22mm (the correct size for the rear O2 sensor) ! you can still stripp the O2 sensor using that socket

Evo_Jay Sep 17, 2006 11:13 PM

^
Yeah, I bought the 7/8 / 22mm O2 sensor socket form my local auto parts store and it didnt work and almosted strip my sensor

FYI, you can use a adjustable wrench on the rear O2 on a VIII, but on a IX the sensor is in the cat and it kinda in a dimple, so its hard to get to with any bulky wrench.

I would use a regular wrench of the proper size (22 or 21 mm)

19psi Sep 18, 2006 07:58 AM

yep, I just picked one up.

Thanks guys. {thumbup}

DanJ Sep 18, 2006 07:59 AM

Go to autozone and you can put a refundable deposit on the 02 sensor socket kit, it comes with a few different sizes and if I remember correctly they had 22mm

trinydex Sep 18, 2006 11:55 AM

the proper size flare nut wrench will do the trick if it's seized.

19psi Sep 18, 2006 12:49 PM

I am gonna be changing the stock cat to a high flow cat tonite.

I wonder if I have to eat some wheaties before I attempt it :p
I heard it's a pita to unscrew it.
Hopefully it's not too hard since I have a o2 sensor socket.

Thanks for tips and suggestions {thumbup}

I will let you know how it went tomorrow.

19psi Sep 19, 2006 10:41 AM

I just installed a tanabe downpipe and highflow cat on yesterday night to get ready for a flash next month.
The whole ordeal took about 2 hours.

The hardest part was the removal of the o2 sensor removal.
That thing was a pain in the a$$ to remove.
Luckily I had a o2 sensor socket and a braker bar.

I made sure to put anitseize on every thread..although I accidently put some on the o2 sensor itself.
I cleaned out pretty good. Hopefully it doesnt mess up anything.

With the new parts installed, the sound is slightly louder @ WOT, but I like it.
It's a lil bit louder than before but I like it. It's not too loud.

The boost comes in slightly quicker and seem to have better respond.

I put about 100miles so far...hopefully no CEL comes on.
I did the anti fouler method.

All in all, pretty happy with new parts.
Now I just have to get it flashed to wake up the beast.