EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   first time pulled over in my evo..... (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/241583-first-time-pulled-over-my-evo.html)

filter Dec 23, 2006 05:49 PM

first time pulled over in my evo.....

ok i was heading home from helping a friend put on his downpipe on his sti.

im about 3 miles from home doint the speed limit. (rardar detector was going off so i made sure i was doing the speed limit. cop is coming from the other directions. he flips a ***** and pulls me over. ( i was doing 55 in 5th gear )i was like WTF. he comes up an asks me if i knew why he pulled me over. i said i have no idea.

he said cause you havea a modified exhasut and was loud as hell. i didnt know it was modified i thought you had no muffler. . then he said you know its illegal in the state of NY to modify your exhaust period. i was like ok. he said i know you alot of tuner cars like to modify there exhaust. asked for my license and registration. and asked have you ever been arrested i was like no. He said you sure about that? im like yeah im sure.

anyways he comes back to my car after about 5 mins of running my license and registration and says well im in the holiday mood. i wont give you a ticket cause i know you wont change your exhaust anyway. he said marry christmas and ill see you next time.

this cop must of been extremly bored.he was about my age and pretty nice but still didnt think he had any reason to pull me over. makes me think that he seen my age and relized i wasnt some punk and then decided to let me go with no ticket. in a way i feel profiled cause i know my exhaust was no louder then some peoples i mean i was doing 55 in 5th gear normal cruise so it wasnt that loud. i just feel his justification for pulling me over was wrong.

oh and merry xmas everyone.

bluebyu36 Dec 23, 2006 05:54 PM

:p what a tool are u shure you never been arrested?

badhabit90 Dec 23, 2006 05:56 PM

:rolleyes: i agree...profiling bastard..

tmodlin Dec 23, 2006 05:58 PM

I wouldnt complain, you got lucky if you ask me.

As for profiling, it happens. Plain and simple. There is nothing you can do about it.

Z-Ball Dec 23, 2006 05:59 PM

i just got a ticket for my exhaust too. i was goin the speed limit and still have a cat. i was cruisin at 2500 rpm. the hks ti exhuast isnt even that loud... he said get silencer and get it signed off by the callifornia highway patrol or if it doesnt pass put on the stock exhaust.... i dont have the stock exhuast anymore. does anyone have a silencer that will fit my exhaust?

Jakeg97 Dec 23, 2006 06:00 PM

its guys like that who give cops a bad name

ak47po Dec 23, 2006 06:01 PM

Punk cop jealous of your car.Just trying to prove he's more of a man.:lol:

Jakeg97 Dec 23, 2006 06:02 PM

btw - what part of ny did this happen?

filter Dec 23, 2006 06:04 PM

up in watertown area. north of syarcuse.

well i have the brushur 3 inch exhaust with cat. i mean yeah i can get loud with the exhaust but for what i was doing at that paticular time he had no reason to pull me over. honeslty its not that much louder then my stock exhasut.

cij911 Dec 23, 2006 06:06 PM

on the one hand he was a dhead for pulling you over and the questioning,,,on the other, he was nice and let you go....

Blue Evo 8 Dec 23, 2006 06:10 PM

The cops in upstate NY...way north of the NYC line can be real jerks

I got pulled over too once in my Integra back then...

I told the cop I'm from NYC and the cops there dont bother me.
He said ok.....just keep it quiet, and let me go

Jakeg97 Dec 23, 2006 06:16 PM

watertown area - your probably the only evo in 100 miles!

filter Dec 23, 2006 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jakeg97 (Post 3786853)
watertown area - your probably the only evo in 100 miles!

belive it or not there is 5 of us. 1 chick *havent met her yet. 1 guy i know and another one that i dont know either and then the 2 in my garage. one is my brothers but hes away at war.

Jakeg97 Dec 23, 2006 06:24 PM

no kidding. i would have never had guessed that many evos in that area. very nice

EVOLVEU Dec 23, 2006 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by filter (Post 3786772)

im about 3 miles from home doint the speed limit. (rardar detector was going off so i made sure i was doing the speed limit. cop is coming from the other directions. he flips a ***** and pulls me over. ( i was doing 55 in 5th gear )i was like WTF. he comes up an asks me if i knew why he pulled me over. i said i have no idea.

he said cause you havea a modified exhasut and was loud as hell. i didnt know it was modified i thought you had no muffler. . then he said you know its illegal in the state of NY to modify your exhaust period. i was like ok. he said i know you alot of tuner cars like to modify there exhaust. asked for my license and registration. and asked have you ever been arrested i was like no. He said you sure about that? im like yeah im sure.

anyways he comes back to my car after about 5 mins of running my license and registration and says well im in the holiday mood. i wont give you a ticket cause i know you wont change your exhaust anyway. he said marry christmas and ill see you next time.

this cop must of been extremly bored.he was about my age and pretty nice but still didnt think he had any reason to pull me over. makes me think that he seen my age and relized i wasnt some punk and then decided to let me go with no ticket. in a way i feel profiled cause i know my exhaust was no louder then some peoples i mean i was doing 55 in 5th gear normal cruise so it wasnt that loud. i just feel his justification for pulling me over was wrong.

I bet he owns a slow V8 that got spanked by an EVO...

importracer3 Dec 23, 2006 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by EVOLVEU (Post 3786900)
I bet he owns a slow V8 that got spanked by an EVO...

haha Yah I was just going to say that he is probably a hatin' domestic fanatic... or just jelous haha.

adrenaline1 Dec 23, 2006 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by filter (Post 3786863)
belive it or not there is 5 of us. 1 chick *havent met her yet. 1 guy i know and another one that i dont know either and then the 2 in my garage. one is my brothers but hes away at war.

aww tell him us evo owners said thanks for protecting us :usflag:

Dont Try To Run Dec 23, 2006 09:28 PM

Merry Christmas

-=SPECTRE=- Dec 23, 2006 11:41 PM

The first time I visited NY I drove up in my S2000. I was trying to find my friend's house and I was on the phone with her and this cop pulls me over and gives me a ticket for using my cellphone while driving. I told him I was from out of state (as you could obviously tell from my license plates) and I had no idea that it was against the law, and that I would stay off the phone. He gave me the ticket anyway and then started asking me if the car was stolen. Typical cop trying to show off what a big man he is.

nolimits079 Dec 24, 2006 02:02 AM

Typical harassment. Consider yourself lucky you didn't get a ticket.

An even better version would be as he's saying, "You havea a modified exhasut and was loud as hell" a Harley without an exhaust blasts by without even a second glance from the cop. (Don't mean to jack your thread. Just getting in my chance to complain about bikes never getting tickets)

tYPE-r Dec 24, 2006 03:37 AM

i agree them harley are loud as hell! i dont know what they put in them gosh

recompile Dec 24, 2006 05:34 AM

From the cops point of view...

A Harley flies past him with crazy loud exhaust, he's expecting to pull over a 35 year old who will laugh at the cop "No **** it's loud, it's a Harley"

An Evo flies past him with crazy loud exhaust, he's expecting to pull over a 17 year old with no muffler, no cat, no seatbelt, open container...

Black Knight Dec 24, 2006 05:48 AM

The real question is...why were you helping an STI owner?! Traitor!!

Evobro Dec 24, 2006 06:04 AM

Senseless harrassment.

African American guys (like me) really have to be on their P's and Q's as a DWB "Driving While Black" ticket is how we're harrassed if driving pretty much anything although I did feel invisible in the Jetta. My parents were pulled over once several years ago because they were in a Landcruiser similar to the movie "Crash", ect.
I usually leave the hospital coat nearby and flash the ID. Most cops seem to then feel relieved Im an MD and not a thug so they just let me go about my business (all while driving legally in the first place!)

Stealth Ag Dec 24, 2006 06:26 AM

I really dont think you should be upset.

There is a reason that the definition of "loud exhaust" is so vague. It gives the cop probable cause to pull you over, and see the driver.

What if he had pulled someone over for a loud exhaust and found that they where drunk?

Something like 10% of wanted criminals are captured when pulled over for routine violations.

I agree that if you where following the traffic laws it was an inconvenience but on the same token im glad the cop has the right to do it.

filter Dec 24, 2006 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Stealth Ag (Post 3787960)
I really dont think you should be upset.

There is a reason that the definition of "loud exhaust" is so vague. It gives the cop probable cause to pull you over, and see the driver.

What if he had pulled someone over for a loud exhaust and found that they where drunk?

Something like 10% of wanted criminals are captured when pulled over for routine violations.

I agree that if you where following the traffic laws it was an inconvenience but on the same token im glad the cop has the right to do it.

guess im more pissed that he labled me as one of those tuner guys and INSISITED that i had been arrested before.

Yme Dec 24, 2006 07:20 AM

Glad u din get a ticket for some BS reason. Profiling does happen which sucks big time

filter Dec 24, 2006 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Black Knight (Post 3787932)
The real question is...why were you helping an STI owner?! Traitor!!

my car club has about 9 sti's in it and im the only evo. plus i love all cars in generalj.

funny thing was we were installing a down pipe on his sti before i go pulled over for my exhaust.

and for one i cant beleive how tiny the sti's turbo is.

Max-Q Dec 24, 2006 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by filter (Post 3786811)
up in watertown area. north of syarcuse.

well i have the brushur 3 inch exhaust with cat. i mean yeah i can get loud with the exhaust but for what i was doing at that paticular time he had no reason to pull me over. honeslty its not that much louder then my stock exhasut.

I don't see your problem. :confused: You have a modified exhaust and that is illegal in your state. You were stopped because of it and issued a warning. WTF are you crying about?

NikkaLB23 Dec 24, 2006 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by ak47po (Post 3786803)
Punk cop jealous of your car.Just trying to prove he's more of a man.:lol:

I agree

Merry Christmas *****es!!! :lol:

Evodreamer Dec 24, 2006 09:10 AM

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago:

Officer Chow of the Virginia State Police pulled me over and said,
"Your muffler is too loud, your window tint is too dark, and your license plate is not on your bumper.”

I then asked “What is wrong with my muffler? It’s the stock muffler(almost), it meets the government’s emissions standards. What, exactly, is wrong with it?”

Officer Chow walked to the back of the car, stood there a moment then knelt down for another moment. He then walked to the front of the car stood there a moment then knelt down for another moment.

Officer Chow then came back to my window and said, “How much did you buy this car for?”

I said “Excuse me?”

Officer Chow said, “Like $30,000?”

I said “Yes, why?”

Officer Chow said, “Well, if you drive certain cars like Ford Mustang, Dodge Neon supped up model, or the $30,000 Mitsubishi, your muffler can be a little louder than normal.”

I said “What about motorcycles? And Harleys, they don’t even have mufflers?”

Officer Chow said, “There are no restrictions on motorcycles, they don’t need to have mufflers, only cars.”

According to the law in Virginia:

§ 46.2-1050. Mufflers on motorcycles.

It shall be unlawful for any person to operate or cause to be operated any motorcycle not equipped with a muffler or other sound dissipative device in good working order and in constant operation.

Chow doesn't even know the laws he is able to enforce! WTF!
This was an excerpt from a complaint letter I wrote to the VSP. He ended up giving me a ticket for my 35% tint up front. I'll let everyone know if it gets thrown out for the profiling, arbitrary pulling over, and harassment that I argued in my letter. It was a Saturday at noon and I was wearing a suit,. I'm a very dangerous gansta, always doing illegal ****.

Sharkbite2000 Dec 24, 2006 09:31 AM

At least he let you slide so its not that bad.

Jakeg97 Dec 24, 2006 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Evodreamer (Post 3788254)

Chow doesn't even know the laws he is able to enforce! WTF!

typical cop

Evodreamer Dec 24, 2006 10:16 AM

I don't get the $30,000 Mitsubishi comment. He doesn't even know the name of my car, and he had just walked around to the back of it to listen to the exhaust.

ApexVIII Dec 24, 2006 10:23 AM

i just got a speedin ticket like 4 days ago... i wish he said that to me :(

panem Dec 24, 2006 10:33 AM

hahahah.... damn NY is almost like CA now

izabran Dec 24, 2006 10:37 AM

i got a ticket for speeding... but i was trying to avoid going into the wall... if any of you are familiar with the belt parkway in BK... heading toward the city... where the 3 lanes turn into one... i was on the most left lane... and forgotit was about to end... and i knew there was a cop somewhere there so i was like what ever... i sped up a lil i was going like 55 in 5th gear... and the damn turbo kicked in... went to like 60 something... he was just relaxing right there... and bam... i didnt even see his gun or anything... plus he was faced backwads... i get pulled over and he asks... how fast were you going... im like around 60... he sys yeah i did notice you slowed down... but i have you clocked at 70... im like WTF???? so he goes back there and give me my FIRST TICKET EVER....!!!!... there goes my perfect record...

filter Dec 24, 2006 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Max-Q (Post 3788227)
I don't see your problem. :confused: You have a modified exhaust and that is illegal in your state. You were stopped because of it and issued a warning. WTF are you crying about?

actually the law states this

"1. Mufflers and exhaust systems. Prevention of noise. Every motor
vehicle, operated or driven upon the highways of the state, shall at all
times be equipped with an adequate muffler and exhaust system in
constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or
unusual noise and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped
with a cut-out, bypass, or similar device. No person shall modify the
muffler or exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will
amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor or exhaust system of
such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler or exhaust system
originally installed on the vehicle and such original muffler and
exhaust system shall comply with all the requirements of this section."

so again is this cop knowlegable about what a stock evo exhaust should sound like? also they should be sitting outside fo coles' or midas or any other muffler shop and ticket everyone leaving that place that had exhaust work done.

the law is to vague and techinally i didnt modify my exhaust i replaced it. due to my other one being dmaged so according the law i have maintained my exhaust in proper working orer. i have all the required emission controls on my car and im 100% sure i would pass NY inspection. Hell i proabbly would pass CA smog inspection.

donmeca2020 Dec 24, 2006 02:43 PM

congrats, join the club. the minute they see an evo pass by i've had cops tail for a few mins then just let off due to the fact because they had no reason to pull me over. and if it werent for me working for a police agency i know all the other agencies would have no problem in pulling me over and ticketing me for some stupid ****. thats just the way it goes when you own one of these bad boys i guess.

adrenaline1 Dec 24, 2006 02:51 PM

they must not see em as much in my area.. they kinda just stare and admire it but im sure my day will come

Brian Dec 24, 2006 02:55 PM

so you got stopped for having an illegally modified exhaust and didn't get a ticket?

evoteddy111 Dec 24, 2006 02:57 PM

im glad cops down south are kool, they gave me and my buddys the thumbs up once!!!!{thumbup}

filter Dec 24, 2006 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Brian_H (Post 3789040)
so you got stopped for having an illegally modified exhaust and didn't get a ticket?

did you even read anything??

adrenaline1 Dec 24, 2006 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by filter (Post 3789091)

on a forum where people input text.. nah

Brian Dec 24, 2006 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by filter (Post 3789091)

I couldn't extract it from the original post, but Yes I read some of this thread. From the people who seem to think they live in GTA to those that watch a bit to much court TV.

I just wanted to see if he was actually being 'profiled' or if it was a legitimate stop.

Edit: I've just reread the thread only paying attention to the OP's posts.

He got pulled over for an illegal exhaust and didn't get a ticket and someone thinks he's being profiled for being in an import.

I think I got profiled while speeding in my truck, bastards.

SkylineMyth Dec 25, 2006 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by filter (Post 3786772)

Marry xmas to you too dude. I really hate how the po po always targets us imports, just cause they think we are always running illegal parts when actually, most of us that actually know anything about cars, knows what the legal and illegal parts are. I bet you that your exhaust is completly legal, cause so long as you're running 95 or less db, and you have a full exhaust with a cat, then you're completly legal.

Brian Dec 25, 2006 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by SkylineMyth (Post 3790409)
Marry xmas to you too dude. I really hate how the po po always targets us imports, just cause they think we are always running illegal parts when actually, most of us that actually know anything about cars, knows what the legal and illegal parts are. I bet you that your exhaust is completly legal, cause so long as you're running 95 or less db, and you have a full exhaust with a cat, then you're completly legal.

Without knowing the local or state statues regarding exhaust modification and what exactly the car is registered as, it's hard to determine if they were 'profiling' or not. Then you've got the whole issue of it being illegal to modify your emissions equipment and what not. . .

It's hard to say if police actually target imports around here as everyone always has to put a victim spin on everything while completely ignoring whether or not they've broken the law. I know if I were a cop I'd more than likely pull over a lot more imports around here as there are a lot more imports. Well, that combined with the fact that many of them around here are out to prove just how stupid they really are.