EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Boost Gauge Mechanical vs Electric (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/253707-boost-gauge-mechanical-vs-electric.html)

DavidVIII Feb 25, 2007 03:30 PM

Boost Gauge Mechanical vs Electric

Hello people..

Can anyone explain me the difference between an Electric vs a Mechanical boost gauge.. www.prosportgauges.com

also.. i have almost an stock evo, just for the 3" exhaust, mechanical boost controller, walbro 255, bigger intercooler.. dont have inmediate plans for installing a ECU or something like that but I still like gauges, so I want to have 5 gauges, (cause I love the bottom gauge console) and also to get a two pillar..

so the question is wich ones you recomend me....
Im thinking in..

Boost
Oil Temp
EGT
Air/Fuel Ratio

so pliz tell me one more..

kmcconn9 Feb 25, 2007 03:34 PM

EGT...

and the difference between th e mechanical gauge and electric is that the electric gauges will have a sensor/sending unit that you will install under the hood and the mechanical gauges you will have to run a boost/vacuum line into the cabin.

Note that you may have to run a boost line in with the electric gauge...it depends on the manufacture...

The electric gauges are typically more accurate, but are more costly. The mechanical gauges can be accurate is you go with a good manufacture..

DavidVIII Feb 25, 2007 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by kmcconn9 (Post 4019319)
EGT...

and the difference between th e mechanical gauge and electric is that the electric gauges will have a sensor/sending unit that you will install under the hood and the mechanical gauges you will have to run a boost/vacuum line into the cabin.

Note that you may have to run a boost line in with the electric gauge...it depends on the manufacture...

The electric gauges are typically more accurate, but are more costly. The mechanical gauges can be accurate is you go with a good manufacture..

hmm I see... well the manufacter in both cases is prosportgagues.

I have EGT in my list...

kreionic Feb 25, 2007 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by DavidVIII (Post 4019307)
Boost
Oil Temp
EGT
Air/Fuel Ratio

Oil pressure and your set{thumbup}
Make sure your a/f is a wideband

tcollins Feb 25, 2007 07:35 PM

A'PEXi EL II System Meters "EL Digital Network": http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_ele...=205&pageNum=1
Like the other post said, electrics are more expensive. But I do like mine. I might recommend the black face instead of the white. Your preference. Its nice as it will record something like 20 seconds worth of playback on all attached devices for your scrutiny later (or just to watch the pretty needles move).

ghoonk Feb 26, 2007 02:14 AM

I have the APEXi EL ones and have not figured out how to do the 20 seconds of recording. How did you do it?

I know the Defi ones do it, but I've not had luck with the APEXi ones.

GraphanaticIXSE Feb 26, 2007 03:42 AM

If you're a die hard gauge guy, then you should get oil pressure and air/fuel. For accuracy get a wide band A/F, but be ready to spend some $$$$

ghoonk Feb 26, 2007 06:27 AM

I already have an LM-1 waiting for install. Oil pressure is in the pipeline :)

PorkRoll Feb 26, 2007 09:38 AM

I have an Autometer C2 electric boost gauge. Essentially there is a a vacuum line that flows into a sender unit, a MAP sensor. The sender then communicates with the gauge. Mine is extrememly inaccurate, i did not perform the installation but i have looked over the components numerous times and everything is installed properly. I would buy a mechanical.

Jakeg97 Feb 26, 2007 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by DavidVIII (Post 4019307)
so the question is wich ones you recomend me....
Im thinking in..

Boost
Oil Temp
EGT
Air/Fuel Ratio

+ oil pressure

Ultimate CC Feb 26, 2007 07:53 PM

get electric boost, egt, and oil pressure are the top three to get...i have these in my evo...love the prosport gauges...