EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Intermitent oil light (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/283233-intermitent-oil-light.html)

byron3636 Jul 14, 2007 02:53 PM

Intermitent oil light

My oil light has been coming on intermittently while idling at stop lights, if i tap the gas while stopped or drive when it turns green the oil light stays off.

I have brand new synthetic oil, and filter. I'm not sure what i should check next... any suggestions?

kaftan Jul 14, 2007 02:57 PM

i would check the oil sensor and wiring to your oil light.

byron3636 Jul 14, 2007 03:05 PM

thanks... i haven't don't anything under the hood lately but i'll check those

Redline-Z Jul 14, 2007 03:05 PM

I imagine you allready did, first check the level if you haven't. If it is fine then I would guess the sensor also. My beater car loses the oil pressure gauge every so often because it was frayed.

byron3636 Jul 14, 2007 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Redline-Z (Post 4538928)
I imagine you allready did, first check the level if you haven't. If it is fine then I would guess the sensor also. My beater car loses the oil pressure gauge every so often because it was frayed.

yeah level was good, and then i changed oil and filter, and now i'm getting it again.

S4STIEVO Jul 14, 2007 03:35 PM

i had the same problem. mine ended up being the sensor. check for any lose lines as well. thats usaly what it is if not the sensor.

byron3636 Jul 14, 2007 03:38 PM

thanks... seems like the consensus is that it's the sensor since i don't seem to have any leaks and the level is all good.

3SgteGuru Jul 14, 2007 04:06 PM

You don't wanna play around when it comes to oil pressure, maybe you might consider just changeing the sender to be sure. But check the wiring first if you haven't already. If the light is still comming on you may have a more severe problem, probably the oil pump.

Mellon Racing Jul 14, 2007 04:42 PM

some brands of filters are less/more restictive than others and oil weights can have an effect.

what brand filter, oil and weight are you running? if it is OEM are you sure it's the right one?

Doowop Jul 14, 2007 05:27 PM

yeah, mine does that too but only did it at the track twice at the end of the day after some hardcore 20mn sessions. It is weird and kinda scary!! Can't wait to add an oil pressure gauge to really see what is going on!! My 9 is less than a year old with 6k on it. I wouldn't think the sensor or wiring would already be faulty but I guess it is possible except it only did it twice and both time what under hard driving conditions.

jojipoji Jul 14, 2007 08:11 PM

the dealership i go to says they stock oil pressure switched because they are NOTORIOUS for failing in the evos and eclipses.

kaftan Jul 14, 2007 08:33 PM

if you have time and really want to you can get tactrix cable and review logs when the light goes on. And you really will have fun watching what is going on in your engine

byron3636 Jul 15, 2007 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by kaftan (Post 4539670)
if you have time and really want to you can get tactrix cable and review logs when the light goes on. And you really will have fun watching what is going on in your engine

i actually plan on that, that gives me the excuse to spend the money on the cable. I might also just get an oil pressure gauge along with a new oil sensor.

kaftan Jul 27, 2007 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by byron3636 (Post 4542729)
i actually plan on that, that gives me the excuse to spend the money on the cable. I might also just get an oil pressure gauge along with a new oil sensor.

so, how did it go? cable/sensor/gauge ?

awr Jul 27, 2007 05:46 PM

make sure your car is not just dipping down in idle after a hard drive or prolonged highway driving in hot summer temperatures if this is the problem switching to a 10-40 synthetic will take care of it