EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   got into an accident, insurance money = new parts?? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/310743-got-into-accident-insurance-money-new-parts.html)

shuttlegoose Nov 30, 2007 08:08 PM

got into an accident, insurance money = new parts??

yeah so im pretty pissed i got into a car accident today. im going to need a new hood, front bumper, drivers side headlight and drivers side fender. I exchanged insurance information and everything and blah blah blah. I figured now would be a good time to upgrade and get some new stuff with the insurance money, but i wanted to ask what was the best way to go about getting the money and how to make sure they give me a check for the damages and i can get aftermarket stuff instead of oem. Let me know whats up with this stuff since its my first accident and i feel so sorry for my poor evo...

4bangn Nov 30, 2007 08:12 PM

well, if it wasnt your fault, the other guys company should be cutting you a check, if thats the case they will look at your vehicle and do an estimate on it and just cut you a check, so you can pretty much spend it on whatever you want, they wont be looking over your shoulder to make sure your putting the money back into the car with oem parts or aftermarket, its up to you

shuttlegoose Nov 30, 2007 08:35 PM

yeah alright, i mean it wasn't really my fault because there was nothing i could do but legally it was becasue i had to slam on my breaks because a stupid septa bus decides hes going to merge into oncoming traffic so i hit the guy in front of me. i guess my insurance will be coving my damage not his. do i just call my insurance company and they will tell me to take it somewhere to get an estimate???

tarmac4g63 Nov 30, 2007 08:47 PM

if it was your fault then youre not likely getting a check they will pay the body shop

Shacochis06 Nov 30, 2007 08:57 PM

if you rear ended a car isnt it always that persons fault?....i mean if you rear ended sumbody thats your fault...but hope it works out man

shuttlegoose Nov 30, 2007 09:41 PM

yeah i rear ended them, i guess ill have to wait and see what happens and what they are gonna do.

metalmellinium Nov 30, 2007 09:56 PM

I believe if you have a loan on the car you will not be getting a check. Not sure tho.

BBS Nov 30, 2007 10:03 PM

If its your fault youre not getting a check.

whoang40 Nov 30, 2007 10:11 PM

it's always your fault if you're behind a person. I was in the same situation with a different car, changed lanes and the guy in front of me slammed his brake. You're insurance company will give him money to fix his car and fix yours. You're premium will go up and it will be on your record depending if you filed a accident report. In my state you're required to file an accident report if there was a cop present. Then it depends on how forgiving your insurance company is about at fault accidents.

Shacochis06 Nov 30, 2007 10:26 PM

yea its your fault since u ran into the back of them.....thats how it always is and is jus BS

shuttlegoose Dec 1, 2007 08:23 AM

so when i call me insurance company they are going to tell me to get a quote and they are only going to pay for oem stuff?

Punkskalar Dec 1, 2007 08:28 AM

You may be able to substitute aftermarket for OEM, but the ins company is only going to pay for factory items... If the aftermarket is more expensive you'll pay the difference... Your insurance will most likely be paying for the other cars damage as well...

shuttlegoose Dec 1, 2007 02:20 PM

anybody else got any suggestions???

tsi2evo Dec 1, 2007 02:41 PM

Yeah take it to a bodyshop tell them what you want, and have them compare prices to oem.. USUALLY its cheaper to get after market parts anyways.. Just talk to the body shop to see if you can do it, since they will know more then most of us, id be guessing

AF-Evo8 Dec 1, 2007 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Punkskalar (Post 5011128)
You may be able to substitute aftermarket for OEM, but the ins company is only going to pay for factory items... If the aftermarket is more expensive you'll pay the difference... Your insurance will most likely be paying for the other cars damage as well...

most OEM parts are quite a bit more expensive than aftermarket.
so get an oem quote and that money should cover you for the aftermarket parts.{thumbup}