EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Might be getting an Evo (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/314198-might-getting-evo.html)

uhn tiss Dec 19, 2007 10:50 AM

Might be getting an Evo

Hello all, I currently drive a 2000 V6 Camaro and I want to get an Evo in the near future. I really need something that I can drive all year round. I am 18 years old and I am going to be working 2 jobs really soon to save up for this beast. I am looking to pay up to $25,000. I would just like to know if you guys think an Evo is worth it for me and also what kind of Evo should I get for that price.

Thanks guys!

brokeazzlos Dec 19, 2007 10:53 AM

If you have to get 2 jobs, I dont think its a good idea

Extas Dec 19, 2007 10:54 AM

Save for college.

TeStUdO Dec 19, 2007 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Extas (Post 5072285)
Save for college.

Definitely. You wont be able to afford the car AND insurance. Speaking of insurance, I don't want mine going up anymore so no Evo for you.

yellowEVO21 Dec 19, 2007 10:57 AM

Hell, if you want my car I'll sell it for $25K lol.

rsalicrup Dec 19, 2007 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Extas (Post 5072285)
Save for college.

+1!!!!

uhn tiss Dec 19, 2007 11:01 AM

Meh, school just wasn't my thing. I work full time with my dad and will be getting a part time job at a grocery store soon. How much would the insurance be for the Evo? Much more than my Camaro?

EMC Dec 19, 2007 11:06 AM

Hey man I found myself in the same situation 2 years ago when I was 18. I even had two jobs too in order to save up for my baby....I dont regret it but I'm not going to lie to you...its pretty difficult to maintain the evo you have to really be dedicated to it...with the changing of fluids and service it tends to be pretty pricey....now I am settled in a good job and it is alot easier...having two jobs really takes a toll on you over time...so just make sure that is what you want and if it is I say go for it...Now as far as which type of evo to get? it really all depends on you....like they say if you plan on modding it get an 8 and if you want to keep it pretty much stock get the 9....people usually recommend that because the 8 is cheaper than the 9...and will make pretty much the same power with mods. So like I said if you think your dedicated enough to maintain an evo I say go for it because its a great experience owning one of these bad boys

uhn tiss Dec 19, 2007 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by EMC (Post 5072337)
Hey man I found myself in the same situation 2 years ago when I was 18. I even had two jobs too in order to save up for my baby....I dont regret it but I'm not going to lie to you...its pretty difficult to maintain the evo you have to really be dedicated to it...with the changing of fluids and service it tends to be pretty pricey....now I am settled in a good job and it is alot easier...having two jobs really takes a toll on you over time...so just make sure that is what you want and if it is I say go for it...Now as far as which type of evo to get? it really all depends on you....like they say if you plan on modding it get an 8 and if you want to keep it pretty much stock get the 9....people usually recommend that because the 8 is cheaper than the 9...and will make pretty much the same power with mods. So like I said if you think your dedicated enough to maintain an evo I say go for it because its a great experience owning one of these bad boys

Thanks for the great reply. {thumbup}

uhn tiss Dec 19, 2007 11:13 AM

Oh and when you say changing of the fluids and service what exactly do you mean?

tweakdsm Dec 19, 2007 11:17 AM

If you get an evo, please dont crash it.

evoDON Dec 19, 2007 11:17 AM

you can definitely do it. i am only 17, be 18 in a month, and i afford to pay for my car and parts to mod it. I work as a cashier at shop rite, but i work a hell of a lot of hours. I don't regret getting it one bit. I can also afford to change the fluids and i do an oil change every 3000 miles with Mobil 1. it is definitely possible, you just have to be willing to maintain it and work a lot. one thing i recommend you do though, is to always have enough money in the bank for two payments and don't touch it. Thats what i do just in case i lose my job, i have two months to find another job. If it is what you want and you will take care of it, get it, but if you are worried you wont be able to afford it, get something cheaper with less maitnence.

Good Luck,
evoDON

uhn tiss Dec 19, 2007 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by tweakdsm (Post 5072380)
If you get an evo, please dont crash it.

I won't!!!

uhn tiss Dec 19, 2007 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by evoDON (Post 5072382)
you can definitely do it. i am only 17, be 18 in a month, and i afford to pay for my car and parts to mod it. I work as a cashier at shop rite, but i work a hell of a lot of hours. I don't regret getting it one bit. I can also afford to change the fluids and i do an oil change every 3000 miles with Mobil 1. it is definitely possible, you just have to be willing to maintain it and work a lot. one thing i recommend you do though, is to always have enough money in the bank for two payments and don't touch it. Thats what i do just in case i lose my job, i have two months to find another job. If it is what you want and you will take care of it, get it, but if you are worried you wont be able to afford it, get something cheaper with less maitnence.

Good Luck,
evoDON

Awesome reply, thanks a lot!

EvoBroMA Dec 19, 2007 11:29 AM

this ain't no honda. all i needed to do on my honda was give it oil changes.

the evo eats clutches, tires, brakes, transmission fluid, differential fluid, oil, and insurance. they all add up to one ridiculously expensive car. not to mention how much it costs to mod, and repair when you crash it. If its really what you want - do it. But you'll basically be putting your life into a car - which might not be a big deal if you aren't going to school.