EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Subs Aren't Hitting As Hard After Reinstall (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/322140-subs-arent-hitting-hard-after-reinstall.html)

bboy_RES Jan 30, 2008 04:00 PM

Subs Aren't Hitting As Hard After Reinstall

i had to uninstall out my subs, amp, and capacitor when i installed my springs because i had to remove the trunk liner. i just finished reinstalling my subs, amp, and capacitor and they dont hit as hard anymore. i check my subs and they're working, but they dont hit nearly as hard as before when i had my head unit at the same volume. i'm pretty sure i wired everything correctly, but i'll double check. anybody have an idea of what's going on?

procircuitmike Jan 30, 2008 04:08 PM

Check your gain you might have moved it, and make sure its grounded good.

fostytou Jan 30, 2008 04:21 PM

Check the above, make sure you didn't turn down the output on your deck, and make sure you didn't introduce any leaks (hole in the box, sub came loose, etc). Make sure you aren't blocking ports if you have them.

Also, if you wired one forward and one backward the sound waves might be canceling each other just a bit.

boostless Jan 30, 2008 04:30 PM

If you disconnected the power from the HU then it may have reset your levels. But just adjust the gain

mofat01 Jan 30, 2008 04:51 PM

Double check the wiring and check the gain

bboy_RES Jan 30, 2008 05:35 PM

the head unit has the same levels as before and i dont think i could've adjusted the gain because you have to unscrew a plate and use a screw driver to adjust it. i'm gonna rewire everything one more time and then check the wiring on my subs. i'm using 8 awg wires so i'll check that they have full contact with the + and - ports on the sub.

N8THEGR8 Jan 30, 2008 05:55 PM

yes check all wires. Does your capacitor have a voltage read out? I don't know how you have your sub box wired but make sure your pos/neg to your box isn't backwards. good luck!

knuckle Jan 30, 2008 05:59 PM

if there is two subs and all you did was remove the amp and box and cap you most likely had the speakers wired in series before and do not now... check that out..

bboy_RES Jan 30, 2008 07:32 PM

i rechecked my wiring and i'm pretty sure everythings correct. i have two 12" subs so i removed the subs from the box, removed the amp, and removed the cap. i'm not sure if i wired the subs in the same series as i had before. i'll check that out. my cap has a normal readout of 12.8v when the key is in the acc position and 14.2+/-v when the car is started. it's weird because i can barely hear my subs. my rearview mirror barely shakes! it usually shakes like crazy! i put my hand on the subs and i can feel that they're hitting weaker. i had to turn the sub level on my head unit to 10 (max) in order for my subs to hit as hard as they usually did. i never had to do that before and i've disconnected power to my head unit plenty of times.

felickz Jan 30, 2008 07:58 PM

Make sure, tripple check, that your subs are in phase. All + wires going to the + jack in the sub box going to the + terminal(s?) of your sub. This of coarse is dependent on how your subs are internally wired. I have wired my subs out of phase before and it was pretty amazing how they cancel each other out... the subs were moving 2-3" but no sound was comming out of them.

procircuitmike Jan 30, 2008 08:38 PM

Its obvious that you have power just seems that your not getting a strong signal to the amp, did you check the gain on amp and your rca's a bad ground can cause weak signals to the amp.

bboy_RES Jan 30, 2008 09:24 PM

yeah the gain is still at default. i grounded the amp in the same spot as i did before, but i'll check and make sure its secure.

Evo8Master Jan 30, 2008 09:35 PM

Check the polarity of your subs. It seems they are out of phase cancelling each other out therefore lack of bass. I had the same problem in my crx. Make sure the total speaker impedance matches your amps (Usually 4ohm or 2ohm) input range. Connections should be (+) to (+) and (-) to (-)...{thumbup} {thumbup}

fostytou Jan 31, 2008 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by knuckle (Post 5221792)
if there is two subs and all you did was remove the amp and box and cap you most likely had the speakers wired in series before and do not now... check that out..

I think you mean he likely had them wired parallel and now they are in series. Placing wiring in series (properly) increases ohmage and decreases typical power output. Placing them in parallel would halve the ohmage and increase typical power output.

Parallel: (1/R1)+(1/R2)=1/Rt (1/4 + 1/4 = 2/4 or 2ohms)
Series: (R1)+(R2)=Rt (4 + 4 = 8 ohms)

SLVROZ_03 Jan 31, 2008 01:44 PM

Did you remove the subs from the boxes or just removed the boxes with the subs in them? Any how, definitely sounds like a wiring problem. At first I would have said check the "Sub" setting on the HU, because you should have disconnected the battery when removing it all and the HU reset itself...and that setting is the same one I always forget afterwards. But sounds like wiring too me!