EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Crash sensor resistance (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/330788-crash-sensor-resistance.html)

SuperStreet2K6 Mar 9, 2008 10:26 AM

Crash sensor resistance

Can someone please disconnect their crash sensor for me and tell me the resistance through the 2 posts in the plug? I am not sure if my sensors are good or not because they are reading ~0.820 kOhm. I am afraid to plug in the battery because I don't want my airbags to go off.

Or maybe someone just knows what the resistance should be? I thought it might be open circuit if they were good and they would have some resistance if they were bad so that is why I am concerned that they may be bad because I got the car after it had been fixed up from an accident and I don't know if they replaced them or not.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

SuperStreet2K6 Mar 10, 2008 02:06 PM

Can anyone please help me out?

heavens turbo Mar 10, 2008 03:29 PM

is the srs light on? what code is in there? why do you think the airbags will pop if you hook up the battery? if the crash sensor is indeed bad, it would immediately trip the srs comp and set a code. i believe it would disable deployment as well, if i'm not mistaken. if there is indeed something wrong with the srs system, you really should take it to a dealer. or get a factory manual. that has all the info you would need.

SuperStreet2K6 Mar 10, 2008 03:50 PM

Well I don't know if there is an SRS code because the battery is disconnected. I just replaced the airbags when I got the car because the car was in an accident before I got it. I don't want to plug the battery in to find out that the sensors are still tripped and have it blow out my dash and steering wheel again. I just need to know the resistance in the sensor.

Can you check yours for me?

novem Mar 10, 2008 06:57 PM

Caution *******

its clear that you dont know what the *** you are doing ..so I will help you out.

1. Dont work on the restraints system. most manufactures dont give resistance specs because they dont want bags blowing peoples heads off.

2. Dont ask someone else to check their cars resistance, the system needs to be DISABLED before testing . and you are going to get your self into alot of trouble.

3.If you want to test the air bag system you can get the DTC tests from the cd-rom that is floating around here some where. I think that you may want to have a dealer look at your car ...or work on the system at your own risk...just dont do so at the risk of others.

I dont know what the parameters for being banned are ..but you are way up there doing something like that.

Jameson_IXMR Mar 10, 2008 10:40 PM

edited...

Forget what I just wrote, why are you reading out the system to begin with?

SuperStreet2K6 Mar 11, 2008 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by novem (Post 5391506)
its clear that you dont know what the *** you are doing ..so I will help you out.

1. Dont work on the restraints system. most manufactures dont give resistance specs because they dont want bags blowing peoples heads off.

2. Dont ask someone else to check their cars resistance, the system needs to be DISABLED before testing . and you are going to get your self into alot of trouble.

3.If you want to test the air bag system you can get the DTC tests from the cd-rom that is floating around here some where. I think that you may want to have a dealer look at your car ...or work on the system at your own risk...just dont do so at the risk of others.

I dont know what the parameters for being banned are ..but you are way up there doing something like that.

I probably have more experience working on cars than you do so I am not sure what you are talking about. The reason I am asking this stuff is so that the air bags don't blow up and I wasn't planning on sitting in the drivers seat when the battery was plugged in anyways. If you had a clue what you are talking about, you would know that you have to unplug the sensor any ways to check the resistance in the sensor. Do you even know how the crash sensors work? If you do, please enlighten me with your vast knowledge. Otherwise, don't be an a-hole and just don't post in this thread again.

Anyways, if someone actually knows anything about cars and would like to help, please let me know. Otherwise, I don't want to hear another newbie posting something just so he can get another post.

novem Mar 11, 2008 07:53 AM

I probably have more experience working on cars than you do so I am not sure what you are talking about. The reason I am asking this stuff is so that the air bags don't blow up and I wasn't planning on sitting in the drivers seat when the battery was plugged in anyways. If you had a clue what you are talking about, you would know that you have to unplug the sensor any ways to check the resistance in the sensor. Do you even know how the crash sensors work? If you do, please enlighten me with your vast knowledge. Otherwise, don't be an a-hole and just don't post in this thread again.

Anyways, if someone actually knows anything about cars and would like to help, please let me know. Otherwise, I don't want to hear another newbie posting something just so he can get another post. {pcfreak} ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if your opinion meant something to me..I still would not be offended by your retarded remarks . I believe I said not to ask someone else not to screw around w/the srs system..thats not a personal attack on you .its a safety issue . next, if you airbag deployed you need to replace every thing listed in the post collision list ..like front impact sensors, srs control unit, side impact sensors,IP and seat belt pre-tentioners..but you already know that because you have been working on cars for sooo long...right? ..right ? but you are asking for resistance values anyway. Also, I believe that I said there is a repair cd-rom floating around here.
why dont you go get the information from there...I would think that any non-newbie would already have thought of that ...but I can see that you are the HNIC.
so Ill leave you to your own devices. next time read the whole post next time and maybe you can see when someone is offering help, just not at the expence of someones saftey.

BigEasy0420 Mar 11, 2008 08:08 AM

I cut and pasted this from the 06 Service manual CD. I hope it helps and mods please don't get kick me off for suppling this info, lol.

FRONT IMPACT SENSORS
TSB Revision
SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM (SRS) 52B-165
INSPECTION
M1524001600460
WARNING
If a dent, crack, deformation or rust is detected, replace with a new sensor.
1.Check the front impact sensor for dents, cracks, deformation or rust.
WARNING
If the resistance value shows the short-circuit or the open-circuit, be sure to replace the front impact sensor
with a new one.
ACX00597AC
2.Check the short-circuit or the open-circuit between the front impact sensor terminals.
When short-circuit: 2 ohm and less
When open-circuit: 2 MΩ and over
ACX00598AC
3.Check for continuity between the terminal and the bracket.
When there is continuity, it shows insufficient insulation of the sensor. Replace the sensor with a new one.
4.Check for deformation and rust on the radiator support panel.

SuperStreet2K6 Mar 11, 2008 08:42 AM

Thank you BigEasy0420. That is everything that I need to know. Had novem actually read my first post he would have seen that I got the car after someone else had already put the car back together. I just wanted to make sure they replaced the sensors. Since my resistance isn't within the short-circuit or open-circuit range it should be fine.

dEVOtion Jan 26, 2011 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by BigEasy0420 (Post 5393433)
I cut and pasted this from the 06 Service manual CD. I hope it helps and mods please don't get kick me off for suppling this info, lol.

FRONT IMPACT SENSORS
TSB Revision
SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM (SRS) 52B-165
INSPECTION
M1524001600460
WARNING
If a dent, crack, deformation or rust is detected, replace with a new sensor.
1.Check the front impact sensor for dents, cracks, deformation or rust.
WARNING
If the resistance value shows the short-circuit or the open-circuit, be sure to replace the front impact sensor
with a new one.
ACX00597AC
2.Check the short-circuit or the open-circuit between the front impact sensor terminals.
When short-circuit: 2 ohm and less
When open-circuit: 2 MΩ and over
ACX00598AC
3.Check for continuity between the terminal and the bracket.
When there is continuity, it shows insufficient insulation of the sensor. Replace the sensor with a new one.
4.Check for deformation and rust on the radiator support panel.

Good info!

Bzacharias May 25, 2016 08:40 PM

My ohms is .83 between terminals. So they are bad?