EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   my dealings on craigslist (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/405336-my-dealings-craigslist.html)

donmeca2020 Mar 9, 2009 09:38 AM

my dealings on craigslist

im not sure how many of you tried selling your parts on craigslist, but i just put up a few stock parts and i got a few emails. anywho i cant believe some people are offering $100 for a set of wheels and tires and so fourth it seems to me like they must be on crack lmao

akauf Mar 9, 2009 09:46 AM

yeah that happens, every time almost. I have a camper up now for 23k and someone offered 10k!!!! i had one of my old dsm's up for 1500, which was already to cheap and someone shot me an offer for $300.

I always respond, "wow you must be the haggling master as I posted an outrageously high price for my car but you saw through that and offered me 20% of what I was asking. Congratulations on being the stupidest god damned person I've communicated with this month. A feat not easily overcome."

Tnnrx7 Mar 9, 2009 09:48 AM

There's always people out there to lowball you.

vitamin ek2 Mar 9, 2009 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tnnrx7 (Post 6786683)
There's always people out there to lowball you.

thats right....someone offered me 300 for my bbs se rims {thumbdwn}, i was like are you serious.

AF-Evo8 Mar 9, 2009 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by vitamin ek2 (Post 6786870)
thats right....someone offered me 300 for my bbs se rims {thumbdwn}, i was like are you serious.

alright man you caught me $350 and thats my final offer:D jk

'Lectric_Blu_IX Mar 9, 2009 10:40 AM

Yeah, Craigslist is loaded with freaks and flakes... {thumbdwn}

binarysleep Mar 9, 2009 11:00 AM

Don't take it personally. It's common practice in most other countries for sellers to have high asking prices, and buyers to make low initial offers. This technique has many advantages to it; a few being:

1. Both parties have to work harder for the deal to happen. This makes both people happy when the deal goes through.
2. You really have no idea of the other persons bottom line. If a buyer makes an offer 10% below asking price, and the seller immediately accepts, the buyer is going to always second guess himself.

Insulting a person who makes a lowball offer will never get your items sold. A guy offering 20% of your asking price may have been persuaded to pay 90% if you handle it well.

evokid511 Mar 9, 2009 11:09 AM

man i get those same people on craigslist sometimes but i just tell them "no way!!" but when i want to buy something ill make a very low offer but leave rooom to deal still

heel2toe Mar 9, 2009 11:18 AM

I know it can be frustrating but its just a fact of live. That's how markets work in the first place. Where the supply curve and demand curve meet is the equilibrium point at which the particular product is sold.

M5K15 Mar 9, 2009 11:42 AM

When i was trying to sell my civic on there (so i could get my Evo {thumbup} ) i swear a group of kids were trying to trick me or something, called me 1 day apart and all offered the same price, with the same complaint. That i didn't have a dyno chart/graph for it. I told them i had the official track time, to show it ran 10s @ i forget what mph....but they were trying to convince me no one would buy it without a dyno chart.

That or i would get kids saying they were interested and had to talk to their dad, then i'd never hear form them again.

chaotichoax Mar 9, 2009 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by binarysleep (Post 6786993)
Don't take it personally. It's common practice in most other countries for sellers to have high asking prices, and buyers to make low initial offers. This technique has many advantages to it; a few being:

1. Both parties have to work harder for the deal to happen. This makes both people happy when the deal goes through.
2. You really have no idea of the other persons bottom line. If a buyer makes an offer 10% below asking price, and the seller immediately accepts, the buyer is going to always second guess himself.

Insulting a person who makes a lowball offer will never get your items sold. A guy offering 20% of your asking price may have been persuaded to pay 90% if you handle it well.

I agree 100%

CaliMR Mar 9, 2009 11:49 AM

$200 or less for pristine stock 8/9 enkeis is not uncommon out here, and $100 is not unheard of if it has a couple nicks from mounting rubber

I have bought and sold several motorcycles, a couple boats and an old musclecar through Craigslist and bought and sold various parts too. You get some low ballers, but if your price is reasonable you will sell it. I usually price things a bit under market ($50 under when sold Accessport, $200 under for my last bike) and they sell the same day in cash. I rather get a couple bucks less and have the deal done quick, since I value my free time.

chu Mar 9, 2009 11:54 AM

I think its fair for people to offer what they think is fair for the product. Most people will think the product they're selling is worth more than it really is most of the time. On the other hand, most craigslist shoppers have no clue what typical prices are, so of course they will not offer the asking price. If you dont like the price they offer, just say no, and thats that. What's there to be mad over? This how the market works, if you dont like it, move on! I'm sure you all have negotiated lower price before, maybe not lowball someone, but I'm sure you never pay the asking price!

Anyways, I got my BBS with fresh snow tires for $350 off craiglist, who's complaining...lol

cuscoevo Mar 9, 2009 02:36 PM

People will always lowball especially in the nowadays economy settings.........and where people figures you need money and you selling this and that, so thus I know your desparate so I am gonna low ball u and reap the benefits...........

And Craigslist is especially full of low ball people more then any other selling site..........that is to be expected.........cheap people always go on craigslist first..............!!

Met and dealt with SO MANY of them...................!!

crazy evo Mar 9, 2009 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by c_sautter (Post 6788456)
That's why I say the price is FIRM on my ads. I wanted $200 for my ebc and got it.

Some people don't get that word FIRM no matter how big you put it up they still call and try to lowball you