EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Importing a Lancer to the U.S for race, research, competition, etc... (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/4851-importing-lancer-u-s-race-research-competition-etc.html)

dasalnt Jun 12, 2002 01:23 AM

Importing a Lancer to the U.S for race, research, competition, etc...

I know a lot of ppl are going to tell me this topic has been beaten to death but what im looking for is any information on importing a vehicle for race purposes only. I do not need to import the car into the U.S to be driven on the streets legally. The car will be used as a track car only. From what i can understand, there are two main forms that i am going to need to fill out, the EPA 3520-1 and DOT HS-7. I believe i am also going to need some sort of written approval from the NHTSA. Has anyone gone thru this process or have any more info on it? I am specifically wondering what do i need to do to get written approval from the NHTSA, like what kind of questions are they going to ask me. Also, if i do get NHTSA approval, how long will the car be allowed to remain here? Would if i were to keep the car in the country past the allowed time, what would happen? Is there anyway provision that would allow me to drive a set amount of miles each year on the street to go to and from races. I remember that i read somewhere that you were allowed 2500 miles a year for show cars or something like that. Also, with the two forms filled out and written approval from the NHTSA, will i run into any other problems with customs while the car is at port? Would this be something that i could get accomplished all in one day when the car reaches the port or will i need to make sure i budget a bit of money to pay for storage fees at the port while paperwork is being processed. If i'm forgetting anything, please let me know. Anyways, if anyone could shed some light on this subject it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-james

HobieKopek Jun 12, 2002 01:26 AM

I'm pretty sure this is a whole different animal. Importing just to own w/o being street legal should be almost (if not) as simple as purchasing and shipping. I'm no expert, but if it doesn't drive on US roads I don't believe the gov does much/anything to regulate it.

dasalnt Jun 12, 2002 01:49 AM

yah, from what i understand, this should be MUCH easier. Hopefully someone here can shed some more light on this subject. Some other info i found out was I believe you also have to draft a petition to the DOT and to the EPA to obtain the required permission to import the vehicle. Also, there are quite a bit of taxes added on besides the 2.5% customs tax. There are also the following:

Customs Processing fees - 0.21%
Harbor Maintenance fee - 0.125%
Customs Entry Bond - $3.50 per $1000 of value of car, minimum $85

Now the customs entry bond is suppose to be 150% of the value of the car but a customs broker will usually charge you the fee above. Anyways tho, different ppl tell me different things so if someone here knows the one clear cut answer and what needs to be done please share it with us. Thanks!

mwilliams Jun 12, 2002 02:25 AM

It is not hard at all. You just need to know the right people.

Buy the car from Ralliart UK and they will point you in the right direction. Car's need to be brought in as a "Competition ONLY" vehicle.

$800 on a boat
$150 for customs paperwork
2.5% of vehicle value and a couple forms.

It's not hard. Now getting license plates; that's more difficult

dasalnt Jun 12, 2002 02:27 AM

do u know what type of paperwork needs to be filled out and stuff like that if i were to bring it over for competition use only? I'm not worried about license plates or anything like that, the car is primarily going to be used for competition only and if i decide to drive it, ill most likely swap vin #'s. Thanx!

mwilliams Jun 12, 2002 02:30 AM

You need:

- Bill of sale with VIN #
- Statement of purpose. This is just 3 lines stating what the car is for, i.e., RACE ONLY
- Customs people handle everything else.

It is not hard, just time consuming and you need to be willing to spend another $1500 just to get the car to the East coast.

dasalnt Jun 12, 2002 03:17 AM

do u know exactly what forms i need to fill out and if i actually need any sort of written approval from any agencies. Your way seems much easier than what other ppl have been telling me. Have u tried this b4 or has someone u know tried it? Anyways, thanx 4 any info!

b_tapper Jun 12, 2002 04:28 AM

Shouldn't this be the form here?
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/ShowDisplay/

dasalnt Jun 12, 2002 06:36 AM

the link to the form u posted above is a form for show and display vehicles. Its nearly impossible to import a car here for those reasons. I'm looking for the process of importing a car for race/off-road use only. From what i understand, its a much simpler process. If you have any info, let me know, thanx!

EVO7 Jun 12, 2002 06:56 AM

It is possible to import an EVO for race use only.. But it must meet all of the Racing Standars before it enters the U.S. it includes roll cage, gutted interior, racing seats, harness, suspension and all the other stuff, and you must higher an import broker to handle all the paper work from customs.. i was going to do this to my EVO but i want it street legal and i didnt want to gut out my interior so i decided not to....

mwilliams Jun 13, 2002 01:43 AM

You just need to draft a 3 sentance statement telling the EPA it is for race use.

The statement goes along with the EPA form through customs. Customs clears the car then US dept of Agriculture checks for foot/mouth disease.

Yes, customs broker handles everything.

Here is the form:
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/forms/3520-1.pdf

And yes, this process work.

dasalnt Jun 13, 2002 02:07 AM

Ok, so i basically write a very simple letter telling the EPA that i am importing the vehicle for race/off-road use only and will not be using this on the streets. Then the EPA will send me a written approval that i will attach with EPA form 3520-1 that i will give to customs at the port of entry. Is that correct? Will i also need to get a written approval from the NHTSA? Is the written approval from the NHTSA just as easy? Now im trying to understand what exactly does a customs broker do. Lets say i order a vehicle from a japanese exporter and they charge me a total CIF cost of 15,000 US. That would basically get my car to the port of Los Angeles from Japan. Couldn't i just go down to the port and give the customs officer my EPA and DOT forms along with my two written approvals and be on my way? What will the customs broker do? Does the customs broker only help me with the bond? Do i even need to make a bond if im importing the car for race purposes? Anyways, any other info you could shed on this will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-james

Lan Evo Jun 13, 2002 02:18 AM

To those who wanna do this procedure. You guy might want to check with gplsek, he imported an EVO V as race car. He's the owner/owner's son (both of them called George :p ) of the shop "Tatomotorsports" in CA.

will667 Jun 13, 2002 04:06 AM

EVO7,

How did you make your car street legal?

mwilliams Jun 13, 2002 04:40 AM

-james

Your customs broker will do everything but write the 3 sentance letter and sign a power of attorney. DO NOT DEAL WITH THE NHTSA. They will block the car and it will sit in the port for 6 months...they are a few people that this has happened to.

You want the customs broker to do all the work b/c that's what they get paid to do. They have the contacts, and often times work with EPA and customs people all the time. If you walk into the port they might question your intentions...with the broker they sign the docs and push paper. Your customs broker will fill out the HS form for you.

Notice that form mentions US service personnel (Army, etc) have certain exlcusions and the form says nothing about them not being able to make the car street legal...unlike the other categories.

What bond? You only pay a 2.5% duty on the value declared on the Bill of Sale, $150 for custom doc processing and $5/day for each day your car sits in the port for more than 5 days.. What is the $15K for? Sounds like you are being lead astray.

There is nothing printed anywhere that say's you CANNOT bring in a car as a race vehicle. It

Now, getting the plates is the difficult part. Getting a car here is not.