EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Anyone here ever drive their EVO on a 3000+ mile road trip (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/523826-anyone-here-ever-drive-their-evo-3000-mile-road-trip.html)

tougeFZ Nov 7, 2010 09:42 PM

Anyone here ever drive their EVO on a 3000+ mile road trip

Well I will be driving my car from Ft. Myers, Florida to Seattle Washington and I am very nervous to say the least. Shipping is not a Option since the military won't pay me to ship the car but they will pay me if I drive the car. What kind of maintence would you guys recommend I do first?

snowfish Nov 7, 2010 09:44 PM

No problems! Drove all the way up the coast, and across the real mountains. Not one issue. Evos' are solid. Drove it at 90+ for almost 3 hours in one stretch! (The speed limit was 75 to 85 in that stretch so I wasn't that far over).

Mwolf83 Nov 7, 2010 09:49 PM

Well as long as you know if its a reliable car to begin with then yeah I say their shouldn't be any troubles.

tougeFZ Nov 7, 2010 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by snowfish (Post 8818259)
No problems! Drove all the way up the coast, and across the real mountains. Not one issue. Evos' are solid. Drove it at 90+ for almost 3 hours in one stretch! (The speed limit was 75 to 85 in that stretch so I wasn't that far over).

Thanks for the assurance. I plan on doing a 1000 miles a day. I will be buying a nice radar detector ( maybe a Valentine 1).

sLUg_ Nov 7, 2010 09:54 PM

change the oil when ya leave. stop for breaks. change oil again when ya get there! of course I do this for 4 hour drives haaha

savagejay1 Nov 7, 2010 10:03 PM

is your front plate on your car? might wanna throw that on since you'll be going through several states

tougeFZ Nov 7, 2010 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by sLUg_ (Post 8818279)
change the oil when ya leave. stop for breaks. change oil again when ya get there! of course I do this for 4 hour drives haaha

I am sure I will have to change the oil when I get there because of the climate change. I just hope it doesn't snow on the way there. I have never seen snow and I don't know how to drive in it. I will be buying some continental all season tires. So far my list of things to do is oil change, install new all season tires on new Rota rims, change all belts , hoses and new spark plugs.

Skylineracer Nov 7, 2010 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by savagejay1 (Post 8818297)
is your front plate on your car? might wanna throw that on since you'll be going through several states

if he has FL plates than he has no front plate, also why would it matter?

tougeFZ Nov 7, 2010 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by savagejay1 (Post 8818297)

Florida doesn't have front plates. O I got custom plates for my car that says 2 cold ( referring to my car with Florida tags saying 2 cold in Washington)

Evokid8 Nov 7, 2010 10:11 PM

tape that front end off! i drove from houston to vegas and good gosh my bumper was CHIPPED! multiple areas!

savagejay1 Nov 7, 2010 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Skylineracer (Post 8818301)
if he has FL plates than he has no front plate, also why would it matter?

I didn't know florida didn't have front plates

And I said that cuz if they did have front plates in florida and if he was rolling around without it (like a lot of people do) he could get a ticket in a different state that also required them that was not a relaxed about the law

exhil Nov 7, 2010 10:20 PM

should be no problem
but i think you should get 3M paint tape to cover up the front so you dont get any rock chips or scratches on the front. i mean its a long driveeee.

tougeFZ Nov 7, 2010 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Evokid8 (Post 8818318)
tape that front end off! i drove from houston to vegas and good gosh my bumper was CHIPPED! multiple areas!

Thanks for the advice I never thought of that. I am going through 8-9 different states, I just hope I can do it without getting a speeding ticket. But I been here in Japan for almost 3 years so i don't think that will be a problem considering the speed limits here are all very low. I was doing 120 the other day and I thought I was going fast til I realized 120 here is only 79 miles per hour.

PhoenixEVO8 Nov 7, 2010 10:45 PM

I didn't quite go 3000+ miles but recently moved from AZ to FL. Besides giving the evo the routine checks for fluids and making sure it can handle the long distance haul. I would say get some preventative supplies like extra oil, valve steams, fix a flat in a can, a good flashlight with fresh batteries, check over the spare tire if you still have it. If your still carrying around that crappy factory supplied lug wrench replace it as that thing is small and hard to get leverage with when taking of the lug nuts ...probably missing some items but you get the idea. Also, if your carrying a lot of things with you make sure your brakes and brake pads are up to it. I stuck in an extra 400lbs to 500lbs of my stuff and was quickly reminded that I was going to have to brake early and be more mindful with the extra payload. Oh one last thing, the whole front end of your car is going to be a giant bug catcher when you pull over to stop for the night find a place to hose off the front end, hey, safe journey to you.

kim.ry Nov 7, 2010 11:06 PM

i did a trip from boston to minnesota and back. whew. its a good idea to have someone else behind the wheel when ur sleepy