EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Towing with your evo?? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/534828-towing-your-evo.html)

jdm96gsr Jan 17, 2011 06:37 PM

Towing with your evo??

I enjoy doing trackdays and weekend races with my sportbike during the race season, I always see guys showing up with all types of cars hooked up to trailers towing in smaller trailers with bikes. Has anyone did tried towing with an evo? total weight for my setup, trailer and bike is around 900lbs.

pwrofturbo Jan 17, 2011 07:15 PM

900 pounds is nothing. Go for it.

anthonydinatale Jan 17, 2011 07:38 PM

dont do that

casper980 Jan 17, 2011 07:42 PM

I don't think I would put my Evo through that.

jdm96gsr Jan 17, 2011 07:44 PM

So thats one and one right now. What component of the drivetrain would fail first?

still*boostn Jan 17, 2011 08:13 PM

dude that lil bit of weight isnt going to hurt your car. I would think it would hurt your clutch more then anything.

now towing trucks and jet skis woudbe a no.(cuz your have to dip your car is water and have to drive up the ramp and what not),....

HAHAV8 Jan 17, 2011 08:17 PM

I've seen a single jetski towed by an STI before, so I see no reason why an Evo wouldn't. I mean the brakes are more than capable, and its not like you have to drive agressively, I would say it is harmless. However a hitch will look dumb on the car IMO, but it is your car.

gieri002 Jan 17, 2011 08:18 PM

I've towed a jet ski with my Evo MANY times, you will not have any issues. I agree with last guy though, it will be harder on your clutch.

Nastynine Jan 17, 2011 08:18 PM

it'll be fine!!!! when i blew up my transfer case my buddy in his evo towed me 3 miles home!!

HAHAV8 Jan 17, 2011 08:21 PM

I'd say go for it, if you do not have another vehicle capable of towing.

CantStopSpinin Jan 17, 2011 08:27 PM

x2 on the tow hitch looking dumb though. but go for it i see no problem. i forget what our tow capacity is but im sure you could look it up. i wouldnt reccommend towing with like 5 people in the car though. maybe just you and one other person max

jdm96gsr Jan 18, 2011 04:13 AM

thanks for the feedback and yes I know it would look dumb but it wouldnt be permanent. I woulndt drive with that setup more than 100-125 miles as I'd be sticking to the closer tracks mostly thunderbolt in S NJ.

!Ev0$ Jan 18, 2011 08:23 AM

Is capable of towing ...
But some people rather not too
But hey is your evo do what you want to do with it

TxEvo8 Jan 18, 2011 11:27 AM

You want to make sure that you're not constantly in boost; I wouldn't tow anything up a mountain for instance.

KWezzy Jan 18, 2011 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by jdm96gsr (Post 8998069)
thanks for the feedback and yes I know it would look dumb but it wouldnt be permanent. I woulndt drive with that setup more than 100-125 miles as I'd be sticking to the closer tracks mostly thunderbolt in S NJ.

nice your in south jersey like me and you safe its flat here no mountains or anything. i dont see why it can't tow 900lbs. I have seen all types of piece of crap cars towing jet ski and everything down to the shore, in the hottest weather.

Bryant05TB Jan 18, 2011 02:13 PM

Personally, I think an evo towing a sportbike would look bad a**. :) Shouldn't have any problems...

GPTourer Jan 18, 2011 02:17 PM

Virtually any car can handle under 1000lbs, it is just going to come down to how you drive while pulling it. Seems like everybody I know likes to try to drive as fast as they normally do when they aren't towing anything which is part of the reason why so many people down here have diesel duallys to tow some tiny ***** ass fishing boat - they just don't want to feel any sort of drag at all.

Your clutch is going to absorb most of the pain, followed by your brakes.

fastcolt Jan 18, 2011 05:25 PM

1k is nothing, if you have doubts about towing that little amount of weight with your car, you should probably never launch it as well. lol

traitorzxiong Jan 18, 2011 06:13 PM

Personally it's too nice of a car to be using it for towing. Buy a beater for towing.

jdm96gsr Jan 18, 2011 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by traitorzxiong (Post 9000343)
Personally it's too nice of a car to be using it for towing. Buy a beater for towing.

if I had money to buy a whole nother vechicle to tow my bike, I wouldn't have made this thread in the first place. And to add to this I've been at trackdays when we shared track with cars/bikes, and there were 911's showing up with trailers made for extra wheels and tires, spare parts etc. I wouldn't mind the look of towing something that could whoop my evos ass anyday pound for pound.

aka.ralliart15 Jan 18, 2011 06:32 PM

My brothers Evo towed me when my fuse blew....just start very slowly(think 90 year old grandma) after you have inertia then its easier on the car.

KWezzy Jan 18, 2011 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by jdm96gsr (Post 9000371)
if I had money to buy a whole nother vechicle to tow my bike, I wouldn't have made this thread in the first place. And to add to this I've been at trackdays when we shared track with cars/bikes, and there were 911's showing up with trailers made for extra wheels and tires, spare parts etc. I wouldn't mind the look of towing something that could whoop my evos ass anyday pound for pound.

yea man thats all you see going to the millville track, 911's with a small ass trailer and 4 tires with rims on it lol, i don't think it looks dumb at all and those guys don't drive slow at all.

Tfresh Jan 19, 2011 02:28 AM

Yea 900lbs is nothing I would not hesitate to tow with it if I didnt have a truck to haha

MRGEVO Jan 19, 2011 02:37 AM

DO it. It will be fine.

targa ten Jan 19, 2011 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by jdm96gsr (Post 8997281)
I enjoy doing trackdays and weekend races with my sportbike during the race season, I always see guys showing up with all types of cars hooked up to trailers towing in smaller trailers with bikes. Has anyone did tried towing with an evo? total weight for my setup, trailer and bike is around 900lbs.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...t/IMG_2981.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...t/IMG_2982.jpg

Total weight above was almost 1500LBS.No problems for my EvoII.

Here is the thread I started(that some mod moved to show/shine for some reason?)

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-tow-rig.html

j.liu Jan 19, 2011 10:48 AM

^^ lol I want more pictures of evos towing something :D

Wiznaz Jan 20, 2011 12:36 AM

I have a tow hitch with a 1 1/4" receiver for my Evo. Purchased it off this board. They say not to tow more than 1,000lbs with these cars and watch your tongue weight. I haven't used it yet but I plan to tow my Yz450F to the track next spring.

jdm96gsr Jan 20, 2011 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by targa ten (Post 9001380)
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...t/IMG_2981.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...t/IMG_2982.jpg

Total weight above was almost 1500LBS.No problems for my EvoII.

Here is the thread I started(that some mod moved to show/shine for some reason?)

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-tow-rig.html

very nice setup, how much difference do you feel in the car while driving with the trailer hooked up?

targa ten Jan 20, 2011 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by jdm96gsr (Post 9005726)
very nice setup, how much difference do you feel in the car while driving with the trailer hooked up?

Very little.Find 3 or 4 large people and toss a bit of weight in the trunk of your car.......it feels about the same.You know there is a bit of weight behind you,but the car can easily handle it.

As long as your car is in decent shape.....no problems with towing a little trailer.

Even with my Land Rover engine and tranny in the trailer the EvoII just sailed along the highway like it was nothing.

jaemillz Jan 20, 2011 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by casper980 (Post 8997463)
i don't think i would put my evo through that.

+1

panem Jan 20, 2011 09:36 PM

evom memember Savaho's evo.
http://www.robertcasipit.com/albums/...3270.sized.jpg
http://www.robertcasipit.com/albums/...iler.sized.jpg

CantStopSpinin Jan 20, 2011 09:39 PM

Hell yeah were the only words that came to mind when seeing evo above! lol. thats awesome.

KX250Fmotoracer Jan 20, 2011 09:48 PM

I used to tow 2 dirtbikes, a pressure washer, and a half-full 30gal drum of water back and forth with my Dad's 95 4cyl accord, and my moms 99 Toyota Camry. Neither had a problem (I will admit, the camry was a little hairy above 45mph though haha)

206OZEvo7 Jan 20, 2011 10:00 PM

towing a motorcycle with an evo is nothing compared to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6yj7kHHg08

sprx19 Jan 20, 2011 10:17 PM

When I had my wrx I towed a 450 dirt bike on a small trailer with it for 2 years. The car had an 18g turbo and all the mods to go with it. It was tuned with a Utec so I just copied my normal map and added some fuel and pulled a bunch of timing. It worked great. I used tell people that my tow vehicle ran 12's. LOL

izabran Jan 20, 2011 10:18 PM

i pulled my friends sti after he blew the motor on it... and it was no issue...

Chris n Rabecca Jan 21, 2011 11:03 AM

I would not sweat pulling it... Its only 900 lbs, then no problem.... Just like rolling with 4 hefty passengers.

pettyboy69 Jan 21, 2011 12:03 PM

i wouldn't hesitate to tow that much weight at all, especially since it is rolling weight if it messes with anything on your car there are deeper problems that need to be addressed anyway

206OZEvo7 Jan 21, 2011 05:07 PM

keep in mind, evo has a unibody frame and it's not meant for towing unlike a body over frame small pickup which is good for towing...

targa ten Jan 22, 2011 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by 206OZEvo7 (Post 9009245)
keep in mind, evo has a unibody frame and it's not meant for towing unlike a body over frame small pickup which is good for towing...

Most,if not all,SUV's are now unibody.They along with most cars are rated to tow from the factory.

I used 3 locations to attach the reciever to the Evo,its fine.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...t/IMG_2995.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...t/IMG_2994.jpg
Using the factory tie down/tow hook gives a strong mount location right behind the hitch itself.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...t/IMG_2992.jpg

No worries.

fastcolt Jan 22, 2011 07:10 AM

That jetski set up is sweet!

GTijoejoe Jan 22, 2011 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Wiznaz (Post 9004008)
I have a tow hitch with a 1 1/4" receiver for my Evo. Purchased it off this board. They say not to tow more than 1,000lbs with these cars and watch your tongue weight. I haven't used it yet but I plan to tow my Yz450F to the track next spring.

I'm curious who "they" is, but I'm 100% sure the manual states this vehicle (evo 8/9) is not towing capable....saw it the other day.

Now that being said, what does that mean?
The vehicle was never meant to tow anything, which means it never passed any gov. tow regulations/tests etc. or internal OEM tests.

In general most vehicles can tow 1000lbs, and that is because the vehicle's passenger loading/luggage is normally double that (depending on the vehicle). So fully loading your vehicle up and towing a trailer would not be a good choice.

Some reasons for towing limits are:
1) Axle gross weight (added by tonge weight)
2) Bearing loading
3) Engine cooling
4) mission/driveline cooling
5) Engine torque
6) Frame loading
7) Brake capability

Not saying these apply, just in general.
In addition, most unibody vehicles with tow packages can not attach to the subframe, so hitches are mounted to the actual white body frame, but those sections of course have increased strength/stiffness for towing capabilities.... IE look at all Honda vehicles.

Wiznaz Jan 24, 2011 11:50 PM

If you do a search you'd see this had all been covered in the past. I bought the tow hitch from a rally team on this board. I believe it was used to tow equipment around.

You are right about the limitations of towing and what you can get away with on the Evo. I am sorry if I hadn't explained it enough. But like I said, a simple search will pull up all the information you need. {thumbup}

Originally Posted by GTijoejoe (Post 9011043)
I'm curious who "they" is, but I'm 100% sure the manual states this vehicle (evo 8/9) is not towing capable....saw it the other day.

Now that being said, what does that mean?
The vehicle was never meant to tow anything, which means it never passed any gov. tow regulations/tests etc. or internal OEM tests.

In general most vehicles can tow 1000lbs, and that is because the vehicle's passenger loading/luggage is normally double that (depending on the vehicle). So fully loading your vehicle up and towing a trailer would not be a good choice.

Some reasons for towing limits are:
1) Axle gross weight (added by tonge weight)
2) Bearing loading
3) Engine cooling
4) mission/driveline cooling
5) Engine torque
6) Frame loading
7) Brake capability

Not saying these apply, just in general.
In addition, most unibody vehicles with tow packages can not attach to the subframe, so hitches are mounted to the actual white body frame, but those sections of course have increased strength/stiffness for towing capabilities.... IE look at all Honda vehicles.

Ty-tec9.5 Dec 29, 2012 05:50 PM

TOW a Banshee With my evo

3 Attachment(s)
I Tow my Banshee with My Evo With noproblems every weekend
Attachment 199544

Attachment 199545

hatesposers Dec 29, 2012 07:53 PM

What hitch system do you use?

hellbent2003 Dec 30, 2012 06:23 PM

shouldent have any problems towing one.. just make sure your not having it towed as in the front end off the ground and the rear on the ground. ull destroy ur limited differential in a heartbeat .. and maybe more..

hatesposers Dec 30, 2012 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by hellbent2003 (Post 10582356)
shouldent have any problems towing one.. just make sure your not having it towed as in the front end off the ground and the rear on the ground. ull destroy ur limited differential in a heartbeat .. and maybe more..

Are you joking? Oh wait.... you're a newb....

Raptord Dec 30, 2012 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by hellbent2003 (Post 10582356)

May want to make sure you've read the OP properly before responding.

Ty-tec9.5 Jan 1, 2013 01:03 PM

I made a custom tow hitch from a 1996 Yukon I cut the mounting points off and fab up some bracket weld it to the hitch and bolt it up to the two slots in the frame also I fab up a mounting point on the factory tow hitch for support and cut out the bumper were the plate goes and put a hinge on it so the plate can hide the tow hitch when not in use.