EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Should I put my modded evo back to stock to sell it? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/549451-should-i-put-my-modded-evo-back-stock-sell.html)

sblvro Apr 7, 2011 05:59 PM

Should I put my modded evo back to stock to sell it?

1. The old paradigm where modified cars have a lower resale value generally holds true but if the mods were cleanly done, professionally installed by known tuners then it can still hold its value or even claim a higher price. there were a few of these evo's sold with a very steep price. e.g. BR 350, AMS evo's, etc.

2. Please don't put back to stock obviously known modified evo's because it will not only lose its value but leave a bad taste to the prospective buyer unless you are trading it in to an unsuspecting dealer.

3. Non-professional installs of mods are okay too if good quality parts were used(not home depot pieces), there is hope{thumbup}

4. Keep receipts, oem parts if using aftermarket parts and include it in the sale=better price!

5. First owner modified evos hold its value

6. There is no warranty for modified evos unless you buy it from the dealer and they give you an aftermarket warranty.

7. Don't try to fool evom members by passing of a modified evo as stock because you will be eventually be caught and will not want to post the FS thread anymore.

8. Be upfront with your modified evos, we understand and will give you the benefit of the doubt and a best offer.

9. Maintenance records and premium oils is preferred if you want a good price.

10. Lastly, keep your evo is unless you really want to part with it, it is a classic. :beer:

Astro_Train Apr 7, 2011 06:15 PM

Good info here man... At first I thought someone was asking for advice whether he should sell his car modded or just put it back to stock.:lol:

fivewing77 Apr 8, 2011 11:19 AM

Agreed... Would rather buy a modded ride than "back to stock"

bonsuz01 Apr 9, 2011 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Astro_Train (Post 9223265)
Good info here man... At first I thought someone was asking for advice whether he should sell his car modded or just put it back to stock.:lol:

Me too.... Yes good info..

WORD Apr 11, 2011 10:34 AM

I like #10 the best!

nellynellz Apr 19, 2011 05:10 PM

I wouldn't sell the car to begin with but if u really want to sell what I would do truly is take out all my aftermarket parts put it back to stock and resell cuz alot of ppl don't like to buy nodded evos .just Like me I refused to buy unless it was completely stock. And then afterwards of course sell the parts u have .I think that's the best option.

awdordie Apr 20, 2011 10:59 PM

^the whole purpose of this thread is not to do that, or at least not to do it and then try to pass it off as a "never been modified" vehicle like alot of people try to do now days to try to bump up the price.

nellynellz Apr 21, 2011 03:36 AM

Awd

nellynellz Apr 21, 2011 03:40 AM

Awdordie I agree with you on that I never meant it in that type of way in re selling an saying that it was never modded and passed off that way. In the end its up to the owner to decide if he wants to tell the truth but I guess it goes both ways.and the fact remains that no matter how much u put into a car ur never getting back anything close to what you spent so..

Blue95GST Apr 21, 2011 04:54 AM

Good information, id personally rather buy it modded than "back to stock"

Wickedwhite8 Apr 21, 2011 06:20 AM

Im buying a modded evo and will be picking it up in two weeks. In most peoples opinion I paid too much. It hours back to the "you get what you pay for when it comes to a quality built car. But I agree with your 1-10. I do notice alot of lowballing with modded evos but in all fairness you can't duplicate these modded cars for the sale price in most cases.

Astro_Train Apr 21, 2011 08:58 AM

I think like SBLVRO said, first owner modded EVOs are better than ones that have been modded by several owners.

But really, trying to find a stock one is nearly impossible nowadays. Even if it looks stock, you would have to take a look at the car to see if it was not put back to stock.

Since I want another CT9A, I really doubt finding a stock one is kinda a wish now. I bought my first IX back in Dec 2008 and at the time it was a lot easier to find a stock one. I did find one and had it for 2 years.... but I had a few finances to square away so I had to sell it.... sold it a member here a month ago.. I have begun to look for another one but I know it will take a while to find one.

I have no problem buying one that is modded... I have a few prerequisites that I set forth in order to pull the trigger on a fairly modded one. and SBLVRO hit on a couple...

1. I would rather purchase a modded one from a first owner.
2. A compression test is almost a must and for the right car and I would highly suggest to anyone buying a modded one to have it done. Especially modded Evos beyond the basic bolt ons.
3. While a carfax doesn't tell you everything... at least have it ran.
4. Mileage is important as it will trigger other questions to be asked to the owner selling the car.... 30,60k services for example...
5. If you are not technically proficient with EVOs... take a friend that is or find someone that is local and see if he will look at the car you are interested in.

I hope this helps to the thread. Some of it common sense but the more ammo you have when purchasing a modded EVO the better you are gonna be and avoid ending up with a nightmare of a problem.:)

nellynellz Apr 21, 2011 06:44 PM

I have upgrades such as my intake and hks Ti exaust and other little things bit nothing serious u know.I consider my evo stock and I'm lucky to have gotten it with all these things. But no matter what a car is a car and once u have it u just enjoy the car and respect it .

sblvro Apr 21, 2011 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by nellynellz (Post 9261242)
I have upgrades such as my intake and hks Ti exaust and other little things bit nothing serious u know.I consider my evo stock and I'm lucky to have gotten it with all these things. But no matter what a car is a car and once u have it u just enjoy the car and respect it .

like I said, modified with "premium" products should be okay. don't put it back to stock when you sell. those are the selling points. I remember a modified evo 8 sold for $50k awhile back because the tuner was well known and it was nicely modded.{thumbup}

feil8409 Apr 26, 2011 07:09 AM

thanks for the great info