EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Clunking vibration at highway speeds going straight, smooth during very hard turns. (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/561533-clunking-vibration-highway-speeds-going-straight-smooth-during-very-hard-turns.html)

r0xah Jun 20, 2011 04:07 PM

Clunking vibration at highway speeds going straight, smooth during very hard turns.

When I am driving at highway speeds, there is a clunking feeling as if I am going over many large bumps in the road. I feel it in my butt but mostly feel it in the steering wheel. This happens on what should be very smooth roads. I know that this is not how it is supposed to feel because sometimes randomly, after a sharp turn, the car will drive very very smooth, but then, slowly, over the course of about 10 seconds, get really bad again. I've noticed that it goes completely away on very hard fast turns.

I also get the same vibration but greatly intensified when I brake at speeds above 50 mph.

I have replaced the suspension, left/front wheel hub/bearing, brake pads, front rotors, wheels and tires.

I have 88k miles currently on the car. I have a 150 mile commute and this is getting more annoying day by day.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

P.S. during my last alignment I found out that the front inner tie rods are so rusted that they seem to not have ever been adjusted since 2006. The toe is still outta wack but the car drives straight for the most part. No play in the wheels up to down or left to right.

Luke

barneyb Jun 20, 2011 09:34 PM

What brake pads?

Hendrixmx Jun 21, 2011 03:29 AM

lower ball joint?

dastallion951 Jun 21, 2011 09:43 AM

id be one to guess either a ball joint like someone stated, possibly worn out bushings, but id put my 0.02 on a bad wheel hub/bearing assy. if your feelin it somewhat in the seat, then its somethin in the rear, but if your feelin it in the steering wheel then somethin in the front so you could possibly have 2 issues. Best bet jack up the car on jackstands, go to each tire, shake tire/wheel at 12 and 6 o clock position feeling for abnormal play, if ok spin the tire forward like 90* and recheck, that checks for ball joints/ bad hub/bearing, also shake tire/wheel at 9 o clock and 6 o clock position, and that shakes down for bad inner or outer tie rod.. go to each corner and check it, if you do feel some play either try to look underneath to see where its comin from, or have someone check while you do it lookin underneath with a flashlight. good luck

r0xah Jun 21, 2011 09:52 AM

Hawk HPS pads.

Could a bad wheel bearing cause the shake to become worse when braking?

And is the lower ball joint, the joint directly behind the hub?

dastallion951 Jun 21, 2011 10:31 AM

yea the lower ball joint sits behind the hub on the bottom where the knuckle (piece the hub sits in) connects to the lower control arm.

barneyb Jun 21, 2011 11:35 AM

I once had on some cheap pads that would transfer. After heavy braking from highway speeds I'd have a bad shake in the steering wheel. This would slowly go away until the next time I used the brakes hard.

I've no experience with the HPS pads and I've never heard of them doing this. However, my experience sounds kinda like yours.