EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Serpentine Belt Problem (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/568439-serpentine-belt-problem.html)

zanelefko Aug 5, 2011 12:00 PM

Serpentine Belt Problem

A little help guys, I bought my 05 evo used, has a 4g64 block built motor etc. My problem is that my serpentine belt keeps wearing down on the side closest to the fender of the car. Idk what the problem could be and I cant even enjoy driving my car in fear of the belt breaking when I step on it. Any ideas?

geevolution Aug 5, 2011 12:14 PM

Are you saying it's rubbing? If so has that car been in an accident? Maybe it shifted in an accident?

brand0n Aug 5, 2011 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by geevolution (Post 9512720)
Are you saying it's rubbing? If so has that car been in an accident? Maybe it shifted in an accident?

take it to a body shop with a LEGIT frame machine and see if it's straight. If not then its obviously been in a wreck.

A legit shop should be able to fix it.

Good luck dude!

-Bran

Vivid Racing Aug 5, 2011 01:56 PM

If the belts wearing fast it's obviously rubbing or it's too tight.

You say it's wearing on the side closer to the fender... The only thing I can think of that it would be rubbing is the engine mount, but it's been a long time since I poked around under the hood of an Evo.

zanelefko Aug 5, 2011 03:38 PM

I'll post a pic, looks like the pulley on the alternator is too small, the belt is raised on one side of the pulley and flush on the other.

4RETECH Aug 5, 2011 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by zanelefko (Post 9513252)
I'll post a pic, looks like the pulley on the alternator is too small, the belt is raised on one side of the pulley and flush on the other.

Yeah, if someone replaced the alt with one from a parts store that is a very high possibility.

zanelefko Aug 5, 2011 04:56 PM

yea, I believe it was replaced by one from a parts store not a factory one. Could I trim the edge of it to prevent breaking until I can get another alternator and still be safe?

Vivid Racing Aug 5, 2011 05:08 PM

Maybe someone used an alternator from a similar but different car or engine. I'm clueless when it comes to parts interchangeability on the Evos. Is there any chance the pulley is just misaligned? How much space is on the opposite side of the belt? If there's a gap then I bet the alt or pulley are just out of alignment.

A better option would be to take the alternator to a machinist and see what they'd charge to have a custom pulley made. I know someone on a Mercedes forum had a custom supercharger pulley made for $60! I'd look into just buying the proper alternator, though. Avoid cutting or trimming the belt because you're going to have a very hard time getting the cut to be exact. Plus, you'll probably weaken the belt.

zanelefko Aug 15, 2011 12:17 PM

For now I just trimmed the belt until I can get a used alternator. Its for sure the pulley size so if anyone has a used alternator for sale and wants to get rid of it cheap PM me !