EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   EVO Owners...some questions for y'all (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/5900-evo-owners-some-questions-yall.html)

ShokaiShimizu Jul 11, 2002 01:00 AM

EVO Owners...some questions for y'all

Everyone knows in one for or another, that the EVO will be in the US in 2003.

Evolution owners:

Is this car a suitable everyday car giving it's extensive race mods?

Is this car's fuel economy suitable for everyday usage?

Is it at all spacious?

thanks for reading,

Jeremy

HobieKopek Jul 11, 2002 01:14 AM

Re: EVO Owners...some questions for y'all

Originally posted by ShokaiShimizu

Is it at all spacious?

That one's easy enough. Same interior as the USDM Lancer (aside from the center console). It's nice for the overall size of the car. More roomy than a Civic I believe but slightly less head room. :)

I'm 6'2" or so and I'm not pressed for room, but, in all fairness, I'm not very wide either so I dunno how the car stacks up as far as uh...sideways space. :p

EDIT: That's all assuming you mean the Evo VII

ShokaiShimizu Jul 11, 2002 01:17 AM

Yea of course...

Yea, I am referring to he VII (or whatever the hell they decide to send this way)...lol

Jeremy

ChrisEVO Jul 11, 2002 12:15 PM

The ride is kinda harsh but you get used to it. The car is suitable for everyday use because if you keep it under 2500rpm the car drives like a normal 4 banger, same for fuel economy.

3171 Jul 11, 2002 01:24 PM

if they fit the same seats as the JDM E7, the fit is a bit tight if you are bigger that 5'9", 180 pounds. otherwise the interior is the same as other 4-door mid-size sedans (slightly more spacious than a BMW 3).

yes, you can drive it everyday.

fuel consumption is terrible. plus the fact that the tank is small, you will need to visit the gas station every 150+miles. oil changes are every 5,000 miles and you will spend all your money on upgrades.

however, you will not regret living in debt or selling an organ to get and keep the car

diyath Jul 11, 2002 01:40 PM

>Is this car a suitable everyday car giving it's extensive race mods?
Depends on the mods. If you have put a racing clutch you will most likely stall the car in traffic. I still have the standard clutch and with boost off, can drive the car comfortably in traffic. :thumbup:

>Is this car's fuel economy suitable for everyday usage?
No! Extremely costly. Mine does only 4-5km per litre of high octane. What do you expect from a 320bhp beast anyways. :crap:

>Is it at all spacious?
Absolutely.. VI, VII both have enough leg room and space to accomodate 5 grown ups. :headbang:

Obviously it all depends on which part of the world you live in. In my country this HAS to be a second car (Traffic, Cost of living, gas prices).

3171 Jul 11, 2002 01:45 PM

Diyath,

I get slightly better gas milage than you, but only if I run less than 1.0 bar boost. On the track, I get 2.5-3km/l.

With respect to the racing clutch, you may stall the car initilly but after a while you get used to it and shoudl have no problems. Then again, i drive the evo daily as a necessity, my other car is even more impractical

tanders Jul 16, 2002 11:25 AM

I would say that the Evo7 is a good everyday car. :headbang: :thumbup:

It's spacious than the 4, 5, & 6. I agree with ChrisEVO, the ride is kinda harsh coz of the sport-tweaked suspension, giving the car a stiff but stable ride. If you live in a country where the roads are terrible, like in my country, this could be a disadvantage but you'll get used to it. :)

For the Fuel economy, I think it's just the same as the other 2-liter cars out there. The gas just seems to run out quickly because the Evo7 has a small gas tank. :)

3171 Jul 16, 2002 11:31 AM

tanders,

what kind of fuel mileage are you getting? there is no way you can compare it to a normal 2 litre car, unless of course you shift at 2500rpm

tanders Jul 17, 2002 10:34 AM

My car is averaging about 2.5-3.0 miles per liter. Convert that to Kilometers, that should give you 4 to 4.8 km/liter. That is for street/city driving (with occasional fast acceleration using 0.8-1.0 bar of boost at half throttle) on a 97+ octane fuel.

WRC4ever Jul 17, 2002 10:46 AM

Oh **** ! 11 mi/gal !!!! And that's not even pushing it that much?
I'll have to tune down my MoTec to NO boost and try to get 20mi/gal or some'n ;)

tanders Jul 17, 2002 10:56 AM

Actually doing a 5 kms/liter is ok here in the Philippines. It really depends on the roads you are travelling. If you live in a big city with big long roads like the L.A. expressways, doing 5 kms/liter is bad but if you live in a crowded and busy intersections with little room to run and stop once in a while due to traffic, then that's pretty ok. Most 2 liter cars here run 5 kms/liter, using probably the lowest octane possible in the Philippines, which is 93.

3171 Jul 17, 2002 11:01 AM

tanders,

my evo runs 10-15% worse mileage than my previous car (E36 M3), how does yours compare? seeing as you also have an M3

tanders Jul 17, 2002 12:02 PM

3171: My M3 is running slightly better than the Evo. My M3 is doing about 5-6 kms/liter running on 95 octane fuel.

trev555 Jul 17, 2002 01:47 PM

Interior space is excellent.

Reliable enough to be a daily driver.

Suspension is hard and road noise is higher (on my Evo 4) so passengers that don't think like you will complain.

These cars EAT fuel. Forget any thoughts of good fuel economy.

It's a relatively expensive car to run but the rewards are worth it. :headbang: