EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   So I got rear ended tonight (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/603668-so-i-got-rear-ended-tonight.html)

qiksilver Mar 20, 2012 09:25 PM

So I got rear ended tonight

1 Attachment(s)
An old guy rear ended an SUV that was behind me at a stop light and pushed it into my Evo. As you can see my trunk and rear bumper are all jacked up.

My question to everyone is what have your experiences been with body shops repairing your Evo? I would like to get my oem bumper replaced with a JDM rear and my taillights replaced with Evo 7 taillights. Any input would be appreciated.

Attachment 337422

jdlewh Mar 20, 2012 09:34 PM

I don't have any experience with my Evo in a body shop but my girly hit a deer in her Cobalt SS and took it to CarStar. They did a fantastic job on the repair.

On a side note why can't a mini accident like that happen to my Evo... I wouldn't mind a free JDM bumper courtesy of a bad driver and a little fender bender.:lol:

superkizuna Mar 20, 2012 09:50 PM

I do..... The wifey was sailing down along a seemingly empty no.New York street and bambi jumped out in front of the drivers side. The shop took like 1 month to get it back. Because its not your fault your insurance will buy your parts. Ask the mechanic to get the parts u would like after the insurance guy leaves. He will do it if its under the estimate and it will be because OEM is a pocket rape.

sujinX Mar 20, 2012 10:35 PM

go to a reputable one, hopefully the payout for the damage covers all the things u want. which it looks like it will IF they go based on oem parts. I've read about people only getting paid for used junk yard parts or certifit parts. theres a thread about an accident that the insurance did that to him.

BLK REX Mar 21, 2012 07:18 PM

Body shops are in the business of restoring cars. Thats what you pay your insurance for.

Ask in your regional forums for recommendations. When you visit a shop, check out the cars theyre delivering to customers. See if you can figure out why they were there.

KJS Mar 21, 2012 07:45 PM

wouldn't mind this happening to me for free JDM tails and bumper :P, do what superkizana said, it'll me MUCH cheaper than OEM

lanberg Mar 21, 2012 08:56 PM

ya, if its under insurance, you can have the body shop get thet jdm rear instead of the oem and then pay the difference, and if the oem is more, you will probably get it for free!

Hardware Mar 22, 2012 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by superkizuna (Post 10048550)
I do..... The wifey was sailing down along a seemingly empty no.New York street and bambi jumped out in front of the drivers side. The shop took like 1 month to get it back. Because its not your fault your insurance will buy your parts. Ask the mechanic to get the parts u would like after the insurance guy leaves. He will do it if its under the estimate and it will be because OEM is a pocket rape.

OP sorry to hear about this.

USDM tails at Mitsubishiparts.net are $145 a piece. I don't see you getting JDM tails that cheap.

BLK REX Mar 22, 2012 07:19 AM

Insurance will pay out less than that, actually, since they'll typically order used/ (LKQ - Like Kind and Quality) parts.

qiksilver Mar 22, 2012 07:28 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will be calling the other guy's insurance today to get the process started. Hopefully I can come out of this with a new JDM rear end.

Evo_Jr Mar 22, 2012 07:28 AM

I believe you do have the right to request OEM parts thou. I know that's what my insurance stated. Not sure if it varys by state/insurance, etc

xXANCHORMONXx Mar 22, 2012 07:33 AM

^^Idk what insurance you have but no used parts are acceptable...

2 choices negotiate with the body shop and have them get the bumper or have your insurance pay youout and then buy your parts..

Xenon84 Mar 22, 2012 07:34 AM

Sorry to hear bout the ride.... with my previous car I just told my mech that I wanted something different than oem after I trashed my front bumpe, he qouted insurance the oem replacememt price and then took that and I paid the different for an upgraded front kit. Just a thought.

BLK REX Mar 22, 2012 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Evo_Jr (Post 10051329)
I believe you do have the right to request OEM parts thou. I know that's what my insurance stated. Not sure if it varys by state/insurance, etc

Depends on the insurance company. You can request new parts but that may or may not be fulfilled.

Their only obligation is to restore the vehicle to how it was immediately before the incident.

And even on new parts, their cost is at wholesale or even below.

cool_as_crap Mar 22, 2012 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Evo_Jr (Post 10051329)

I think it varies by state.
In CA, you have the right to choose your body shop, and whichever you choose, the insurance pays the cost of that body shop or that body shop's estimate minus a fee if you take cash. The parts are always new and painted at the shop.