EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   quick ? about hood vent (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/608999-quick-about-hood-vent.html)

tnhunter2 Apr 25, 2012 06:19 PM

quick ? about hood vent

i was cleaning the evo today, and caught myself thinking about removing the vent in the hood, not the mesh part ( cant have rocks flying in there ), but the metal part below. Has anyone done this and what are the pros and cons about removing it?

gsrboi80 Apr 25, 2012 06:25 PM

Been discussed plenty but yes many of us have not run one without issue

sujinX Apr 25, 2012 08:43 PM

weight advantage.

i think the only con well not really but could be a con, is that its designed to have the hot air pulled out of the bay via the flow of air over the vent. with it gone, the atm air now can flows inward.

not tested, just speculating.

akeric Apr 25, 2012 09:30 PM

If you want maximum performance keep it, if you don't then get rid of it, won't hurt anything.

The purpose of that vent is to allow air to be sucked out by the air flowing over the hood when the car is in motion. When you have the undertray and the hood vent it can help your intercooler and radiator move air more effectively.

USCGSAM Apr 25, 2012 09:40 PM

if you remove it and want to sell it i'll pick it up, my car didn't have one when i bought it and i want one now. sick of having my manifold rained on and etc....pm me if interested

Thore Apr 25, 2012 10:19 PM

I took mine off for probably a year now. I put it back on recently after getting tired of cleaning the engine bay. Other than that, the car has been through snow and Oregon rain without any issues.

I'd leave it on but that is my own personal opinion. Gives the car a cleaner look.

Evolved Monkey Apr 25, 2012 10:54 PM

So in summary:

Pros: helps airflow through the engine bay to dissipate heat, keeps engine from being rained/snow/hailed on, cleaner look, less crap getting in engine bay.

Cons: adds less than half a pound to the hood

rick1024 Apr 25, 2012 11:03 PM

where can i get the ralliart one?

Blue91lx Apr 26, 2012 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by tnhunter2 (Post 10125063)
i was cleaning the evo today, and caught myself thinking about removing the vent in the hood, not the mesh part ( cant have rocks flying in there ), but the metal part below. Has anyone done this and what are the pros and cons about removing it?

OP, if you're getting rid of it, I'll take it off your hands. Shoot me a PM. {thumbup}

tnhunter2 Apr 26, 2012 08:59 AM

After reading a few posts on it, I'll keep it on. I was totally not thinking of the cleaning issues. I'll be driving it a ton in the snow, so I'll leave it on. Thanks for the input guys!

vortico Apr 28, 2012 08:00 PM

If your not a fan of the look you can always use some paint stripper on it. Its aluminum so it looks pretty nice (almost identical to ralliart piece just no logo). =)

TonyPajamaz Apr 28, 2012 08:12 PM

I would keep it in, Cooler engine bay temps is never a bad thing!

greencow Apr 28, 2012 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by sujinX (Post 10125331)
weight advantage.

i think the only con well not really but could be a con, is that its designed to have the hot air pulled out of the bay via the flow of air over the vent. with it gone, the atm air now can flows inward.

not tested, just speculating.

Haha, you're kidding right? That thing is like paper, weights almost nothing.

9!'clipseDOHC Apr 28, 2012 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by USCGSAM (Post 10125450)
if you remove it and want to sell it i'll pick it up, my car didn't have one when i bought it and i want one now. sick of having my manifold rained on and etc....pm me if interested

Same here, if you or anyone else has one that you removed or aren't using, pm me. I just bought mine and it didn't have the fins/vent in question. I don't know if it related, but the paint on my valve cover is a little bubbled.

dastallion951 Apr 29, 2012 11:09 AM

ive ran no hood vent on my carbon fiber hood for past year, the oem designed one was different then my seibon style hood. The vent on the cf hood actually covers up the hole negating the effects of pulling the hot temp air out. So i pulled mine off ran it drove it, day night rain shine.... never been an issue. Definitely worth it if you live in a hot summer climate, like here in cali.