EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   AMS in chicago (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/631991-ams-chicago.html)

zenoise Oct 9, 2012 01:02 PM

AMS in chicago

Has anyone else fel that the AMS in west chicago has kinda thrown their chin up when it comes to evos? It seems like they only care about gtrs and hiigh priced cars?
They started with evos but it seems like they got to big for them now. Has anyone else noticed this???
Sorry AMS i dont mean to bash but this is a forum.

abazaba410 Oct 9, 2012 01:12 PM

Yeah i got that feeling 2 years ago when I took my Evo X there.

Kracka Oct 9, 2012 01:19 PM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...inted-ams.html

AutoMotoSports Oct 9, 2012 02:03 PM

It's ok, we don't see it as bashing. We welcome honest opinions. Its true we have become much more selective on what we work on out of necessity. We outline the reasons in the link Kracka posted above. It's nothing personal, we just need to make sure we are being as efficient as we can be for our current customers.

I would ask that if you have further questions and or comments that you refer to the other thread though as I think most of your questions will be answered there.

Eric

Seanc_wa Oct 9, 2012 03:04 PM

they did the same thing to a group buy on custom KA24DE headers to i think 15 people on ka-t.org. the evo X came out and it took them over 7 months to deliver. and thats why i wont order from them. loyalty and integrity are important in this community. seems they care about profits more than us.

Seanc_wa Oct 9, 2012 03:12 PM

here is the thread. and yes i was involved.

http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic...er=asc&start=0

Vtecdc5 Oct 9, 2012 03:14 PM

wow, never really had work done by them but when I went over to grab parts they were very nice and friendly. I have a friend working there and he said he has never been happier, sucks to see comments like this posted

Rohit Oct 9, 2012 03:19 PM

I don't understand the hate - as a business why wouldn't you do what is best for the company? Given you can only do x amount of work at a time, you'd be stupid (from an objective perspective) to not focus on the bigger budget/income builds at the sake of nostalgia. That's simply how the world works - how many of the people that post here would be happy to spend the rest of their lives without a payrise just to show loyalty to wherever they work now?

Boltz. Oct 9, 2012 03:48 PM

If I owned a shop, I wouldn't be focusing on Evo's anymore. As they get older and continue to drop in value, the average owner becomes younger, cheaper and less educated. There are exceptions, but that is the rule.

It's a dead platform - but even still there are still plenty of Evo specific shops and still people making parts for them. Get over it.

AMS has done a lot for the Evo community, just because they make better money elsewhere doesn't mean we need to turn our backs on them.

zenoise Oct 9, 2012 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Boltz. (Post 10444839)
If I owned a shop, I wouldn't be focusing on Evo's anymore. As they get older and continue to drop in value, the average owner becomes younger, cheaper and less educated. There are exceptions, but that is the rule.

It's a dead platform - but even still there are still plenty of Evo specific shops and still people making parts for them. Get over it.

AMS has done a lot for the Evo community, just because they make better money elsewhere doesn't mean we need to turn our backs on

them.

Their wasnt any disresprect boltz i was just asking if anyone else has noticed this...
So try to stay on topic cause i was never bashing them. Just didnt know if it was just my first experience with them and others have better experience. Btw import enthusiasts basically survive on "dead platforms" (supra, 300zx, eclipse)cause the new ones besides the gtr have been going antituner. Rx8s etc...

Boltz. Oct 9, 2012 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by zenoise (Post 10444907)
Their wasnt any disresprect boltz i was just asking if anyone else has noticed this...
So try to stay on topic cause i was never bashing them. Just didnt know if it was just my first experience with them and others have better experience. Btw import enthusiasts basically survive on older platforms cause the new ones besides the gtr have been going antituner.

No disrespect back your way either.

AMS is insanely technically advanced and capable. We were lucky to have them focusing on this platform while they did but now they are on to bigger and better things. Think about how they dominate; drag car, ta1, top shop challenge, etc.

Cream always rises to the top.

NewEnglandRT Oct 9, 2012 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by zenoise (Post 10444907)
So try to stay on topic cause i was never bashing them. Just didnt know if it was just my first experience with them and others have better experience. Btw import enthusiasts basically survive on "dead platforms" (supra, 300zx, eclipse)cause the new ones besides the gtr have been going antituner. Rx8s etc...

There are a number of tuning shops that thrive on very specific platforms. However, as the profit margins went down they became fewer and further between. There used to be at least one or two DSM, subsequently EVO tuners in most major cities. Now there just isn't enough money in it to support that many operations. AMS is staying on the cutting edge of tuning and I'm sure if you went to them with a big budged EVO tune they'd be happy to do it, and I'm sure they're still happy to supply the parts that their years of tuning helped develop.

Over time you will see fewer and fewer EVO tuners, and the ones that survive will be pretty kick ass. It's part of the aftermarket business cycle.

wizzo 8 Oct 9, 2012 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Boltz. (Post 10444839)

AMS has done a lot for the Evo community, just because they make better money elsewhere doesn't mean we need to turn our backs on them.

I totally agree. With AMS being local I will still go there if I need something. There customer service is very good. Especially Andrews

tsidrift1 Oct 9, 2012 05:57 PM

Been up there a couple of times. Shop is amazing. I own some AMS parts, but they are used parts I have gotten off the forums.

I wont buy new from them, I feel they are outrageous in price, or I just tend to find better deals on lightly used parts.

I do feel, as a business, they will go to what makes more money, its better for them. The avg GTR guy drops his car off at AMS now and in a month picks it up and writes them a check for 15k. They are making money.

However, I personally wont do business with them because they tend to turn the other way on the car that put them on the map IMO.

Anyways, there are plenty of other shops in the Chi-town area to go to nowadays. Boostin is where I would go if I lived up there. Devin still has the passion for dsms even. It will be awhile, if ever, when he turns his cheek towards evo owners. :)

Evoixjohn Oct 9, 2012 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by wizzo 8 (Post 10445046)
I totally agree. With AMS being local I will still go there if I need something. There customer service is very good. Especially Andrews

:beer: Big Ups to Andrew