EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   I need to pass smog, please help. (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/650879-i-need-pass-smog-please-help.html)

juanpeezie Mar 19, 2013 09:23 PM

I need to pass smog, please help.

Hello everybody, I own a 2006 evo and it has greddy ti-c comp turbo back exhaust. Unfortunately I do not have the stock parts to swap it out. I am trying to spend the least amount of money to try to fix this problem. If anybody is familiar with this exhaust system, is there a way that i could buy a down pipe and catalytic converter that can attach with the other half of the Greddy system and would allow me to pass?
If not any advice would be highly appreciate it. Thank you :)

RSGuy Mar 19, 2013 09:28 PM

that greddy cat back should just bolt up to a stock cat
if the greddy downpipe doesnt bolt to the stock cat, then you can get a ebay knockoff for $80 and use that for smogging purposes. Good luck

Fred

adriano_917 Mar 19, 2013 09:30 PM

Do you have the CEL on ? I just noticed youre on Cali, good luck!

blowngasket Mar 20, 2013 05:50 AM

They Visual inspect there still?

aamoedo Mar 20, 2013 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by blowngasket (Post 10718228)
They Visual inspect there still?

I've found that given how cramped engine bays are, most people peek for a cat and that's it.

SilverShadow03 Mar 20, 2013 08:49 AM

I passed with an oem cat. no problem. the cheapest route would be to rent/borrow a complete stock exhaust from a local or friend or just put the cat on if it is compatible with you aftermarket exhaust.

blowngasket Mar 20, 2013 08:54 AM

here all they do is OBD it and your done, the guy was looking at my HKS hi power exhaust and was prolly thinking How the F**K did this dude pass. but here no visual inspection due to time constrants.

aamoedo Mar 20, 2013 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by SilverShadow03 (Post 10718496)
I passed with an oem cat. no problem. the cheapest route would be to rent/borrow a complete stock exhaust from a local or friend or just put the cat on if it is compatible with you aftermarket exhaust.

Or buy the rally cat test pipe. Cars pass the sniffer with test pipes all the time.

mr06 Mar 20, 2013 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by aamoedo (Post 10718530)
Or buy the rally cat test pipe. Cars pass the sniffer with test pipes all the time.

Something is wrong here, it seems you are using race cat and test pipe interchangeably. One uses a catalyst, the other doesn't. I don't think I would try to pass a sniffer test with a test pipe, not just because of the sniffer test but also because of the visual as well.

SilverShadow03 Mar 20, 2013 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by aamoedo (Post 10718530)

There is no way our cars will pass a sniffer test with a test pipe on there....I had a HFC and failed miserably (gross polluter numbers!) then put my oem cat on and passed with flying colors.

You must be mistaken or are not wording your statement correctly.

juanpeezie Mar 20, 2013 10:44 AM

thanks for al the replys. i appreciate it. it looks like i need to get my hands on a cat. how do you guys feel about high flow cats? are there any you recommend? i have been looking at "pace setter" and "berk technology". If not what is the best way to get my hands on a stock cat. thanks so much for the help, u guys have saved me.{thumbup}

SilverShadow03 Mar 20, 2013 10:58 AM

Don't wast your time on a HFC for smog purposes. Go ahead and use a HFC once you pass smog. I would get a hold of an OEM CAT and use it for smog purposes only....then swap back to your original setup.

Like I previously said, I FAILED miserably with a HFC. Albeit NOT a new one but still failed miserably.

I'm in the Bay Area too. I am about to remove my Evo 8 Cat and store it until I need to pass smog again. I had to smog it in August '12 and have been lazy in swapping back to my 3" tbe PLUS I've enjoyed the quieter exhaust note! LOL

If you want to work something out, let me know I'll rent it to you for what I paid for it and I would refund you ALL your money once you return it.

I'm assuming evo 8/9 cats are interchangeable?

What is your time frame for getting it smogged again?

juanpeezie Mar 20, 2013 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by SilverShadow03 (Post 10718770)
Don't wast your time on a HFC for smog purposes. Go ahead and use a HFC once you pass smog. I would get a hold of an OEM CAT and use it for smog purposes only....then swap back to your original setup.

Like I previously said, I FAILED miserably with a HFC. Albeit NOT a new one but still failed miserably.

I'm in the Bay Area too. I am about to remove my Evo 8 Cat and store it until I need to pass smog again. I had to smog it in August '12 and have been lazy in swapping back to my 3" tbe PLUS I've enjoyed the quieter exhaust note! LOL

If you want to work something out, let me know I'll rent it to you for what I paid for it and I would refund you ALL your money once you return it.

I'm assuming evo 8/9 cats are interchangeable?

What is your time frame for getting it smogged again?

ideally i would need to smog this week. I appreciate the offer but it would be nice not to have to swap back. would you be interested in selling me your cat? or if you know where i can find some? i am hoping i can make a permanent change so i wont have to worry about dealing with this again next time i have to smog. but if it comes to it i will take your offer which was very generous {thumbup}

SilverShadow03 Mar 20, 2013 12:13 PM

No worries...I'll be holding on to my OEM CAT for this very reason, LOL.

I'll keep an eye out for you in case I see any CATs for sale...I am on here daily.

GL!

RSGuy Mar 20, 2013 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by blowngasket (Post 10718504)
here all they do is OBD it and your done, the guy was looking at my HKS hi power exhaust and was prolly thinking How the F**K did this dude pass. but here no visual inspection due to time constrants.

In cali, which probably has the toughest inspections in the country, an exhaust won't fail you. Just because they see a muffler doesn't mean there is no cat...
I pass cali smog with a helix cat-back and megan dp all the time