EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Ecu question??? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/666665-ecu-question.html)

OPENA(671) Aug 9, 2013 05:43 AM

Ecu question???

When I bought the car, It had a aftermarket ecu. I bought an stock evo viii ecu. So my question is. Is it ok to just switch and plug in the stock ecu?

Any ideas help. Thanks.

gpfury86 Aug 9, 2013 05:52 AM

Need more info, what ecu was in it? What map sensor is on the car? A lot of times other ecu's have different sensors ie. air intake temp, wide bands, oil pressure and temp, among many other sensors that the stock ecu won't be able to recognize.

OPENA(671) Aug 9, 2013 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by gpfury86 (Post 10916230)
Need more info, what ecu was in it? What map sensor is on the car? A lot of times other ecu's have different sensors ie. air intake temp, wide bands, oil pressure and temp, among many other sensors that the stock ecu won't be able to recognize.

The current ecu is an apexi power fc. The only sensor on it is an apexi safc2. I'm planning on taking that out too. Besides that, everything is stock. Hope that's the info you needed.

gpfury86 Aug 9, 2013 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by OPENA(671) (Post 10916871)
The current ecu is an apexi power fc. The only sensor on it is an apexi safc2. I'm planning on taking that out too. Besides that, everything is stock. Hope that's the info you needed.

It should be fine if its a plug and play box, I'd just hook the stock ecu up, load a tune, and see what she does.

OPENA(671) Aug 9, 2013 07:21 PM

Cool. I'll try it out. Thanks.

misterevo8 Aug 10, 2013 07:39 AM

depends on your mods on the car. what if it is an ecu tuned specifically for the set up. be careful.

OPENA(671) Aug 10, 2013 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by misterevo8 (Post 10917383)
depends on your mods on the car. what if it is an ecu tuned specifically for the set up. be careful.

Hmmm.... Yeah. I'm taking that into consideration. The car has some basic bolt ons, nothing extreme. The previous owner didn't really tune with the ecu.

What's the worse thing that could happen?

misterevo8 Aug 10, 2013 02:45 PM

oh, you will be fine with basic bolt ons. i do suggest however, once you get the stocker ecu on it, get it tuned for optimal performance and reliability.

OPENA(671) Aug 10, 2013 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by misterevo8 (Post 10917680)
oh, you will be fine with basic bolt ons. i do suggest however, once you get the stocker ecu on it, get it tuned for optimal performance and reliability.

Oh. Ok. Thanks for the advice. Had me thinking there for a moment.

OPENA(671) Aug 10, 2013 04:41 PM

I switched my ecu, now it won't start!!! What's could be wrong?

gpfury86 Aug 10, 2013 05:46 PM

Did you load a tune into the stock ecu that's compatible with your car/setup, the injector scaling many things could be wrong to cause it not to run. BTW by my earlier statement I didn't mean to start the car and go floor it, i just meant to get the car started and idling, the ecu will need to be tuned for boost most likely unless it's a bone stock car, which with a stand alone I highly doubt it is.