EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Question/Concern regarding brake pads. (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/679687-question-concern-regarding-brake-pads.html)

Syringe Jan 6, 2014 08:07 PM

Question/Concern regarding brake pads.

Ok.. I'll do my best to explain the situation, looking for a little insight/assistance.

I swapped the pads on my car shortly after I bought it (<1 year), I don't know what was on there before, I purchased the car used and did not notice a brand or anything on the pads when I swapped them.. but that's irrelevant.

I swapped them to Autozone's Duralast Gold (the metallic, not ceramic) and they were just fine, then I had my calipers coated, swapped the calipers (& pads) - after I did that they had an obnoxious SCREECH at low speed gentle braking.

Note: The city had also put some surfacing crap on my street that left little rocks, so when I swapped them to the new calipers I noticed there were some gouges in the pads.. didn't think anything of it until the screech.

SO! I took the pads to autozone (lifetime warranty as long as they arent metal to metal) and got a new set, swapped them out over the weekend.. and AGAIN the screeching is there.

My thoughts... Did I possibly glaze the pads? I have not jumped on the brakes hard enough that (from my experience with motorcycles) would cause glazing in.. 30 minutes of driving.
Might be the rotors? - But I never had any issues with it before.

Hope this is enough detail, any help would be MUCH appreciated.

2006 Evo 9 MR

Shortbus115 Jan 7, 2014 05:24 AM

Did you have the rotors turned?

Biggiesacks Jan 7, 2014 09:16 AM

Did you bed in the pads?

Sev Jan 7, 2014 09:20 AM

+1 on bedding them in properly.

Syringe Jan 7, 2014 11:47 AM

I did not have the rotors turned.

I will re-look into bedding them.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Jush Jan 7, 2014 06:48 PM

Turn your stereo up, that'll make it everybody elses problem.

But seriously just go for a hard drive. that will bed the center of the pad in and do some light braking in traffic or something and that will sort the outside of the pad.

Bhsj13 Jan 8, 2014 03:40 AM

honestly, i would not buy from autozone. You should get some stoptech's man.

MRolla Jan 8, 2014 05:55 PM

You buy cheap pads from auto zone and expect not to get noise from the pad. You bought metallic pad which will make noise no matter what you do. Its a harder compound then ceramic pads. All auto zone pad make noise trust me I get cars in everyday with customer complaints about they just did the brake and they make noise

Jimmy Javelin Jan 8, 2014 06:26 PM

If bedding and rotating doesn't work, id look into buying new shims or cleaning them/lube. Seems the bottom line is somehow, the issue is the caliper grabbing the rotor. Shims are supposed to reduce vibration/friction (someone correct me if im wrong)

Syringe Jan 9, 2014 07:53 AM

I was just looking for a quick swap at the time, I might look into getting a different pad in the near future if I cant get it to go away.

Originally Posted by MRolla (Post 11077156)
You buy cheap pads from auto zone and expect not to get noise from the pad. You bought metallic pad which will make noise no matter what you do. Its a harder compound then ceramic pads. All auto zone pad make noise trust me I get cars in everyday with customer complaints about they just did the brake and they make noise

I could understand if there was some noise, but this is like nails on a chalk board amplified 10x

spiderseth Jan 9, 2014 08:12 AM

for the most part always good to turn the rotors when changing the pads, and like they say you get what you pay for spend a little bit extra you wont be upset.

12secDD Jan 9, 2014 04:22 PM

Buy quality brake pads that should be on your car. Little to no noise...

MRolla Jan 9, 2014 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Syringe (Post 11077612)
I was just looking for a quick swap at the time, I might look into getting a different pad in the near future if I cant get it to go away.

I could understand if there was some noise, but this is like nails on a chalk board amplified 10x

Yup that's normal noise for cheap pads sound like metal on metal ever time you hit the brakes

Bart671 Jan 9, 2014 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Syringe (Post 11077612)

I loved the screeching noise Hawks made on my VIII. Made me feel like I was a rally car driver. Consider yourself lucky.

GTijoejoe Jan 10, 2014 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Syringe (Post 11074846)
O....then I had my calipers coated...

What does this exactly mean, powdecoated? Repainted?

This is likely the cause, the clearances inside the caliper are very important for the pad abutement, did they replace the steel abutement? did they 'coat' over it? (that would be a mistake)