EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   I'm stranded, evo died while driving cranks but wont start (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/689397-im-stranded-evo-died-while-driving-cranks-but-wont-start.html)

cdone Apr 24, 2014 06:02 AM

I'm stranded, evo died while driving cranks but wont start

Ok new this forums good morning guys. I've used the search button and ive found partial answer. But I want to be more clear on my situation. Ok I just got back from deploy yesterday I go to Vegas to buy 03 evo 8mr. Initial problem was the car was very tricky to start.that told me I have to turn the key forward, wait few seconds press clutch then push the key in towards the steering wheel hard before turning to the start position. It worked but cranked over slow. Now four hrs later I stop get gas, started back up by slow crank again, driving down the highway then all of a sudden it losses power, I tried gearing down to see iff I could pop out back nope didn't work. It even shot a spark or flame out the back. Pulled over checked fuses under hood smelled for gas out the exhaust, and check to see if the fpr still held pressure, all was good. Car will now just crank and crank but no turn over. Is my cam angle, crank sensor or both. It timing belt, car has 110,029. Please help as I'm stuck 20hrs from home

DSMolition Apr 24, 2014 06:09 AM

We’ll have you thought of the gas you put in, seemed to happen right after you fueled it up. I do not know what to tell you if you don’t have any tools to start checking for spark/fuel. You will need to get it to a shop to determine if it is fuel or spark or timing related. MAKE SURE YOU GET IT TOWED ON A FLATBED NO DOLLYS OR SUCH IT WILL WRECK YOUR DRIVETRAIN Sorry man that sucks.

EatSleepBoost Apr 24, 2014 06:10 AM

The engine shouldn't crank slow. Especially after a four hour ride that alternator should have charged the battery unless it had a bad or multiple bad cells and doesn't accept the charge. However you say now that you are stopped and the engine is off it still cranks. Does it crank slow or a good solid crank. Too slow of a crank and the car will never start. When you say you lost power do you mean battery power or like engine power? Were your lights flickering like an electrical problem or just the more you applied the gas you were not going anywhere like a loss of fuel pressure. Do you have a code reader? I would do a quick scan for codes.

llDemonll Apr 24, 2014 07:44 AM

I wouldn't have bought the car if there were "gimmicks" like that.

The most important factor is that I don't believe the MR's came to the USA until 2005-2006 model years, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

haka Apr 24, 2014 08:19 AM

^ correct the mr first showed up in 05.

antij0sh Apr 24, 2014 08:37 AM

Is it cranking strong now or what ? You said it cranked slow earlier, sounds like it needs a battery at least to address that problem, I could see a gas smell if you lost ignition system voltage during operation, due to a bad battery.

slowsrt4:( Apr 24, 2014 09:20 AM

sounds like it might have an e85 tune and the dealership didn't know.

EatSleepBoost Apr 24, 2014 11:20 AM

^ That actually sounds spot on since it happened after he got gas. What gas did u get and what is it tuned for

Sil'vr-Boi6 Apr 24, 2014 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by slowsrt4:( (Post 11188528)
sounds like it might have an e85 tune and the dealership didn't know.

+1, you probablly put 91 in it..... also check for blown fuse specifically: Engine Control Fuse # 8. GL

DSMolition Apr 25, 2014 09:45 AM

It would still start run and drive if there was e85 in it. Just not very well.

Earthen Apr 25, 2014 02:07 PM

Sorry to hear man...I also agree, never would of bought a car with an issue like that.

I will have to say that a slow crank, flame out the exhaust and only turns you should check your plugs and also check the injectors to make sure everything is connected right and not soaked in gas.

cdone Apr 26, 2014 10:48 AM

Sorry im late guys. Problem was fuse on the ignition. I have coil on plugs. Thank you everyone