EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   ***HELP!! Grinding Noise while Cruising*** (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/703465-help-grinding-noise-while-cruising.html)

blueprint Nov 18, 2014 02:25 PM

***HELP!! Grinding Noise while Cruising***

Hey guys, i've been getting this grinding noise while cruising on the highway that has been getting progressively worse. It's quite audible driving from 40-60mph on the highway. When i step on the gas it goes away but when i cruise its very audible. My suspicion is it could be the Wheel Bearings but im not quite sure.

The sound is also audible in neutral while coming to a stop. Depressing the clutch does not affect the noise neither does pumping the brakes.

Anybody have any clues on what it could be??

blueprint Nov 19, 2014 10:24 PM

Anybody?

cwyteboi Nov 22, 2014 04:02 PM

Typically you can hear and notice bad hub bearings at low speeds and especially when turning, because more load is being applied laterally when turning.

Since it is a cruising issue I would at least first look at the carrier bearing on the drive shaft. But at this point, it's just a guess. Good luck bp!

wacboyjulian Nov 22, 2014 09:27 PM

I just replaced my front and rear driver side wheel bearing because I could hear road noise while I was turning to the right. Can you hear any noise while turning?

Tuxevo Nov 23, 2014 04:28 AM

Sounds like a dying transfer case.

blueprint Nov 23, 2014 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by wacboyjulian (Post 11346410)
I just replaced my front and rear driver side wheel bearing because I could hear road noise while I was turning to the right. Can you hear any noise while turning?

I dont hear anything while turning.... Only when cruising or going towards a stop in neutral. The sound disappears when the car is under load.

blueprint Nov 23, 2014 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tuxevo (Post 11346452)
Sounds like a dying transfer case.

Worse case scenario but i havent ruled it out.

Jsiebert Nov 23, 2014 09:42 AM

tcase

Roadrunr Nov 23, 2014 09:50 AM

Sorry to say, TRANSFER CASE. It will sound like it is coming from the rear, but it will be the TC :mad:

Don

blueprint Nov 23, 2014 02:01 PM

Ya it does sound like its coming from the rear... The transfer case has over 123k miles on it... Guess its time for a rebuild.

Roadrunr Nov 23, 2014 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by blueprint (Post 11346651)
Ya it does sound like its coming from the rear... The transfer case has over 123k miles on it... Guess its time for a rebuild.

100% sure it is your transfer case. I would send it to Sheptrans. They have treated me very good.

Good Luck, Don

PS I would recommend Amzoil Severe Gear 190 in cooler climates and 250 weight in warmer climates.
Do not use Any of the Redline Shockproof oils in your TC. It cost me a fresh TC in 14 miles.

blueprint Nov 24, 2014 09:24 AM

Thanks for the help!

Evo__Lee Mar 27, 2017 07:12 PM

I know this thread is super old , but what ended up being the culprit to this metal scrapping like noise? I think I have the similar issue its just that there is no "Whine" and the moment you hit the throttle giving it any kind of load it goes away instantly but when cruising such noise comes back from time to time depending on certain speeds too.
Its just not the typical transfer case whine symptoms that gets louder as you increase speeds, because mine isnt doing that at all.

barneyb Mar 27, 2017 11:29 PM

delete