EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   No start issue, not sure where to look anymore (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/722906-no-start-issue-not-sure-where-look-anymore.html)

tsidrift1 Dec 19, 2015 07:47 AM

No start issue, not sure where to look anymore

So I have had this no start issue all year. Random no starts. I've tried everything I can think of. I did the ignition switch mod posted on here, nothing, two starters, nothing. I've got power at the starter. There's power at tHe solenoid when the key is turned.

When the key is turned, I get the fuel pump whine and the click of the solenoid, but the starter motor won't turn. If I get under the car and jump the starter with a screwdriver, by touching the solenoid terminal to the power, the starter spins the motor as it should. After I do that, the car will start right up from inside once. Once I turn it off and try to restart, no start, just pump wine and solenoid click. Jump the starter so it spins again, turn key, fires every time once.

Checked all grounds, moved some to different spots, I cant seem to get it to start every time. Battery is new as well.

Biggiesacks Dec 19, 2015 11:14 AM

measure voltage drop between the starter solenoid and the ignition switch. For my issues I ended up just replacing the ignition switch as trying to get the original one working consistently wasn't happening.

barneyb Dec 19, 2015 10:07 PM

Possible causes

burnt magnetic switch
short in the armature
worn out brushes
worn down commutator

Since you can jump the solenoid and make it go the magnetic switch would be my best guess.

tsidrift1 Dec 20, 2015 06:44 AM

I think I have it fixed. I traced my solenoid wire back to my mil spec plug. There was about a 5" section where I had extended it. This wire was a little bit smaller than the original wire. I didn't think the 5" of smaller gauge would affect it, like it did. I replaced that small extension wire with a gauge that matches, and so far it's fired about 20 times in a row which it hadn't been able to do all year. So I am crossing my fingers haha.

Then I took it out for a spin, car is cruising at 10.0 afr with some stuttering from trying to burn so much fuel. Possibly a bad o2 sensor, just replaced my wideband o2...lol. even when the car sits, it cost me money haha

tsidrift1 Dec 24, 2015 10:20 AM

So I thought I had it fixed....go out to the garage and it's doing it again. All you hear is a click and the pump whine...it's smll things like this that will tick me off to the point of parting it out lol

4RETECH Dec 26, 2015 05:02 AM

Did you change the ignition switch?
It's only like $25.

Mine went out. It's very common, internal. Just pull the cover and two screws to remove.

I also tried to trace it all down, what got me was I had voltage at starter. And wiring homed out good.

Good luck

fafaforza Dec 26, 2015 08:08 AM

On mine the fault was the frayed spade wire coming off the battery into the starter.

You could take the starter out and apply 12v. If it spins every time, the fault must be in the wiring.

tsidrift1 Dec 26, 2015 01:49 PM

I have swapped the ignition switch out with a buddies that's known to work, and I got the same thing.

As for the wiring, Ive checked all the wiring too, all looks good. I havnt gotten a new starter relay, I suppose I could order one of those, I tested it out of the car and it seems to click everytime power is put to it.

And the starter is good as well. This is the 2nd starter Ive put in. Used oem one that I bench tested.