EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Possibly Picking up a 05 Evo 8, but have a question (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/737158-possibly-picking-up-05-evo-8-but-have-question.html)

Rob_STI_PNW Feb 7, 2017 04:36 PM

Possibly Picking up a 05 Evo 8, but have a question

I am going to check out this super low mileage 05 Evo 8.5 this Friday, was told it was a MR that was converted to a 5 speed?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/5984452198.html

Last 8 of the VIN: 5U053858, if you need full vin let me know, not sure if I am allowed to post?

I have gotten mixed results when calling the parts department at the dealers, both giving me both part numbers for both 5 and 6 speed trannys :-/

So, Ill check the roof with a magnet, cause I think it would be a hassle and expensive to convert steel to alum?

So a few things that made me question if it was an MR is that the center console doesnt say 'MR', neither does the trunk, the Ebrake handle is not CF , and it doesnt have the tripe gauges.

It does have power options, so it's not a RS that is for sure.

RS and the MR the only ones that came with a aluminum roof? Ill check the engine stamp when I see it this Friday, I think the MR has a different stamp vs the GSR/RS/ETC ( I have a list of them)

WA registration doesnt say whether or not it is a MR or not, just that it is a 'Lancer'

Im pretty sure it is an MR, if it has the headlights, bilsteins, and roof, I think that would be way too much money and hassle to 'convert to a MR' right?

Any insight between now and then would be great. Thanks!

MinusPrevious Feb 7, 2017 05:19 PM

Dont think its an MR based on the picture no. 6. The alum roof has 2 distinctive roof ridges & I dont see them

Heres a VIN decoder so you can determine the model

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...e0f29fdc25.jpg

Rob_STI_PNW Feb 7, 2017 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious (Post 11708615)
Dont think its an MR based on the picture no. 6. The alum roof has 2 distinctive roof ridges & I dont see them

Heres a VIN decoder so you can determine the model

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...e0f29fdc25.jpg

Thanks
I have that same chart, but it says that the GSR and MR both have the 'H8' in the Vin

Full vin is
JA3AH86D15U053858

llDemonll Feb 7, 2017 08:50 PM

I can guarantee that car isn't an MR. Gauges missing, cheap-o gauge installed in it's place, no fog light switch, rubber pedals and not the metal ones on the MR, SE wheels, CF vortex diffuser, evo 9 tail lights, missing CF shift know (and the 6-speed) and e-brake handle

call english racing with the license plate, they'll tell you if it was ever tuned

Save yourself the time though, that car 100% isn't worth it for the money. if the mileage is real, which is may be, it's still not a well-taken-care-of car and i wouldn't pay more than 15 for it

Rob_STI_PNW Feb 7, 2017 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll (Post 11708675)
I can guarantee that car isn't an MR. Gauges missing, cheap-o gauge installed in it's place, no fog light switch, rubber pedals and not the metal ones on the MR, SE wheels, CF vortex diffuser, evo 9 tail lights, missing CF shift know (and the 6-speed) and e-brake handle

call english racing with the license plate, they'll tell you if it was ever tuned

Save yourself the time though, that car 100% isn't worth it for the money. if the mileage is real, which is may be, it's still not a well-taken-care-of car and i wouldn't pay more than 15 for it

I figured it wasnt, this gives me more negotiating

Why would you say its not well taken care of?

I believe ER did tune it though, Will from AW did the maintenance on it, said it was in good shape.

llDemonll Feb 8, 2017 07:24 AM

The biggest issue lies in the fact that it's way overpriced. it could be a great car, but you're paying (I think) 4-5k more than you should

i say it's not well taken care of because the guy couldn't even bother to wash it before trying to sell it. I trust Will though, so if they said it's a solid car then that's a good thing

but still, the price...

also, carfax/autocheck it if you're serious. im skeptical of the mileage

Rob_STI_PNW Feb 8, 2017 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by llDemonll (Post 11708795)
The biggest issue lies in the fact that it's way overpriced. it could be a great car, but you're paying (I think) 4-5k more than you should

i say it's not well taken care of because the guy couldn't even bother to wash it before trying to sell it. I trust Will though, so if they said it's a solid car then that's a good thing

but still, the price...

also, carfax/autocheck it if you're serious. im skeptical of the mileage

Ill check the carfax today, I am sure someone has a full month sub lol

Even if it was a GSR, it KBB under good condition private sale for 18,1, if this was MR then 21.1k

kaj Feb 8, 2017 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rob_STI_PNW (Post 11708843)
Ill check the carfax today, I am sure someone has a full month sub lol

Even if it was a GSR, it KBB under good condition private sale for 18,1, if this was MR then 21.1k

KBB is so far off on Evo market prices it isn't funny. NADA is a bit closer.

Rob_STI_PNW Feb 8, 2017 11:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by kaj (Post 11708889)
KBB is so far off on Evo market prices it isn't funny. NADA is a bit closer.

CArfax came back with 3 accidents that the guy didnt both telling me about
Rearended twice
3rd one hit the side

Mileage seems legit

Still not a good feeling about it

Plus not a real MR

Guy said hes gonna do magnet test, take a pic of bilsteins and the headlights.

kaj Feb 8, 2017 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rob_STI_PNW (Post 11708897)
CArfax came back with 3 accidents that the guy didnt both telling me about
Rearended twice
3rd one hit the side

Mileage seems legit

Still not a good feeling about it

Plus not a real MR

Guy said hes gonna do magnet test, take a pic of bilsteins and the headlights.

Sounds like the seller either has no clue what he's talking about or he's trying to scam a sale. If he doesn't know what he's talking about and he doesn't know what he has, then he probably doesn't know enough about it to maintain it correctly.
Accident damage can be fixed. Not too big of a deal.
Either way.... even I have a bad feeling about this car LOL.

Rob_STI_PNW Feb 8, 2017 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by kaj (Post 11708899)
Sounds like the seller either has no clue what he's talking about or he's trying to scam a sale. If he doesn't know what he's talking about and he doesn't know what he has, then he probably doesn't know enough about it to maintain it correctly.
Accident damage can be fixed. Not too big of a deal.
Either way.... even I have a bad feeling about this car LOL.

Yeah for sure, dude sent me a video of him tapping the roof, saying that aluminum roofs sound different. Like dude, throw a magnet on that *****

He said he was gonna send me a pic of all of the other stuff.

Still, only thing it had going for it is recent maintenance, AW said it was good (would rather have on paper), and low mileage. I hate silver, but I helped my friend start a wrap company, so I get that stuff for cost and no labor.

I told the guy I am not interested, just too much not adding up and it chips away at everything tbh.

Gonna just shoot for a good condition 9, hopefully somewhat local. This long distance thing is a pain.

EDIT

I am ok with accidents as long as they were upfront, the kid was like, I dono why they listed the accident back in April, nothing happened.. lol

evostanman Feb 8, 2017 12:48 PM

stay away from this deal and keep looking.

igo4bmx Feb 8, 2017 12:59 PM

dude is lying to you.

step away from the car

Rob_STI_PNW Feb 8, 2017 01:07 PM

Way ahead lol, already told the guy I wasnt interested anymore

The search continues for a really good 05, or 06

Would you consider 90k 'too many miles'? I found a 06 up north that has that, want 22k for it at the dealer

kaj Feb 8, 2017 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rob_STI_PNW (Post 11708932)
Way ahead lol, already told the guy I wasnt interested anymore

The search continues for a really good 05, or 06

Would you consider 90k 'too many miles'? I found a 06 up north that has that, want 22k for it at the dealer

That would be 8k or so miles per year. Not bad, IMO. If the car is clean, I'd be willing to pay that, I think.
With these prices, I think it's time to sell mine. I was on the fence, but man.. prices be crazy. :lol: