EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   electric power steering pump convertion (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/740169-electric-power-steering-pump-convertion.html)

theblackbeast11 May 17, 2017 10:00 AM

electric power steering pump convertion

so i been tying to find some details on converting my power steering to electric i see that one options is the porsche pump that is a million dollars
and the other one i found is the
93179568 gm pump that is about 550 ish brand new

and some have said about a mr2 pump

what has everyone done what is the best option and why

does anyone have any links for a install on one ?
I Have looked and looked and can not find much worth a darn i knew there was a tread somewhere talking about all the diff pumps but i cant find it now.

lopillo_evo May 11, 2019 01:40 PM

Bringing this back from the dead. Damn t someone needs chime in on this I want to do it as well since the buschur kit is no longer sold.

Lumpy Sticks May 12, 2019 04:57 PM

If you like a really light feeling steering, this will work good for you. One of my cars has the same pump and the steering is super light. One finger no problem. My rack is 4 turn lock to lock so that may make it extra soft compared to an evos rack.

steven121 May 12, 2019 09:35 PM

Im trying to figure this out to, would be nice to heavily mod the car and not worry about the rpm’s dropping and the car dying when turning the wheel

heel2toe May 15, 2019 02:22 PM

^If you car is struggling to idle when you turn the wheel then something with the tune is amiss. Also there is a wire by the PS pump that sends a signal to know to raise the RPMs. I wonder if yours is perhaps disconnected, I think its a blue wire but don't hold me to that bc its a WAG.

steven121 May 15, 2019 06:06 PM

I have 270 cams not sure if thats part of it, but the blue wire is connected. Ill have to ask my tuner when he looks at the car

I have about 700 miles left for break in period

Originally Posted by heel2toe (Post 11872549)
^If you car is struggling to idle when you turn the wheel then something with the tune is amiss. Also there is a wire by the PS pump that sends a signal to know to raise the RPMs. I wonder if yours is perhaps disconnected, I think its a blue wire but don't hold me to that bc its a WAG.

heel2toe May 16, 2019 08:50 AM

Cams can make it a little tricky to dial in a smooth idle. But as a datapoint I've had HKS 272s then GSC S2s and now GSC R2s and my car has no issues idling.

V.8MR May 19, 2019 02:20 PM

I'm semi interested in doing an elec pump, putting it in the trunk and running lines to the rack. Have seen a few drift cars with this setup too. Can basically make your own kit...

Here's a guy who put elect PS in it GVR4

willitas34 Oct 29, 2019 08:36 PM

Did you ever convert to electric power steering or find more information on it. I’ve heard of some using a Toyota MR2 Electro-hydro pump to do the conversion but can’t seem to find the info anywhere anymore

Originally Posted by V.8MR (Post 11873030)
I'm semi interested in doing an elec pump, putting it in the trunk and running lines to the rack. Have seen a few drift cars with this setup too. Can basically make your own kit...

Here's a guy who put elect PS in it GVR4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1oOIeBMdyk

TEXAS_SPEC Nov 1, 2019 09:28 AM

Tried to google but found nothing. Anyone here done one? pics?

V.8MR Nov 3, 2019 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by willitas34 (Post 11891405)
Did you ever convert to electric power steering or find more information on it. I’ve heard of some using a Toyota MR2 Electro-hydro pump to do the conversion but can’t seem to find the info anywhere anymore

No its not high on my list as of now. But I believe Michael Puglisi of DMN racing is elect PS. Also UMS tuning I think. There some good info on the web about it. Pretty comon on a few different platforms.

nollij Nov 3, 2019 10:11 PM

astra mk5 TRW power steering pump. Can buy then from UK for <$150 shipped. Same as the porsche cup car pump.

I have ACD in the trunk and an aftermarket ECU so I re-purposed the fuel pump resistor/relay/ACD relay/ fuel injector resistor bracket to hold the power steering pump.

Abryant1985 Oct 22, 2021 01:54 PM

I've done this using a electric ps pump from a Volvo I mounted it where the windshield washer reservoir is and just connected the hoses and wired to battery and acc