EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Which Evo should I buy? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/745962-evo-should-i-buy.html)

Sam Lynx Jan 10, 2018 11:22 AM

Which Evo should I buy?

Sup guys need a suggestion.
I'm seeing two evo that I like and need your opinions on this. I'll post the links here so you can see them yourself.
Dogecoin donations will be given!
https://www.xlautogroup.com/used-Add...AH86F23U110986

http://www.lexusofmanhattan.com/used...0f275922d3.htm

Dakota Evo Jan 10, 2018 11:58 AM

100,000 miles is high

43,000 miles is pretty low but 21k for an 8 kind of high

Find an Evo 9 with around 60,000 miles around the 18k to 20k range

Butt Dyno Jan 10, 2018 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Lynx (Post 11797139)

INCLUDED OPTIONS
P235/45ZR17 YOKOHAMA ADVAN A-046 HIGH PERFORMANCE TIRES
Man, I hope not. Those must be dryrotted at this point.

Wanted EVO IX Jan 10, 2018 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dakota Evo (Post 11797149)
100,000 miles is high

That would be a flogged Evo 9 and maybe wreck history for that kind of price. Evo 9s with 60k and under people seem to want North of $22k and the exception is possible.

barneyb Jan 10, 2018 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno (Post 11797206)
Man, I hope not. Those must be dryrotted at this point.

I have a set on rims I took off last fall for snow tires. The tread is about gone but they might still run part of the next warm season. There's no cracking or other problems and I still have that sweet turn in but probably less traction due to old rubber. So, I'd advise they still might be good.

As for the 2003, some of them had bad transmissions from the factory. I have one of those cars. If that problem exists the car will vibrate at 60 mph in 5th gear and maybe throw a p0300.

DeeezNuuuts83 Jan 10, 2018 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dakota Evo (Post 11797149)
100,000 miles is high

100,000 miles isn't high when we're talking about what is now a 15 year-old car that has turned out to be pretty reliable. That's around 7,000 miles a year, really not a lot at all.

Same thing with the price. $21,000 is high for an VIII in general, but again, that one is again a 15 year-old car but with 43,000 miles. That's less than 3,000 miles a year. Extremely low mileage counts for something and should command more money than other examples with more common mileage for that age.

But that's the cliche answer, to find an Evo IX with low mileage and in a lower price range than the going rate for one with that kind of mileage. They're few and far in between unless you get lucky and find that rare example or are willing to scour the entire country and wait months and months for it to pop up. Most that fit that description are going to be some combination of modded, raced, abused or totaled. The guys with the Evo that you're describing either aren't planning on selling or want a lot of money for it.

Originally Posted by Wanted EVO IX (Post 11797228)
That would be a flogged Evo 9 and maybe wreck history for that kind of price. Evo 9s with 60k and under people seem to want North of $22k and the exception is possible.

Exactly. Low mileage and/or bone stock (or close to it) will command a premium. I have a bone stock Evo IX SE that I bought brand new 11 years ago, and every time I go to my local dealership for service, the GSM always asks me when I'm going to sell it to them. The last time I talked to him maybe a year or so ago, I remember him saying that he could sell it for $29,000-30,000 by the end of that same week.

Jonno99 Jan 11, 2018 02:12 AM

Have patience

Sam Lynx Jan 11, 2018 09:34 AM

So I ordered Lemon Squad inspection on it for the 43000 miles EVO 8.
Here is the report on it
"This looks to be a decent running and driving vehicle with some issues of note. The tires are getting low on tread. I would replace them. I found no signs of flood damage. There are a couple of scratches to the bottom part of the front bumper. There are minor misc scratches around the vehicle. Normal for mileage and too small to see in pics. The paint in general is in good condition, however, the film coat of the rear spoiler is peeling off. See photos. The underside shows areas of minor surface rust. The sunroof was not working properly. It does not close all the way continuously, the switch has to be depressed several times until closes. This will need further diagnosis and repairs. I only found two minor dings to the exterior. There is light wear to the seats. Normal for mileage. The interior trim shows normal wear consistent with age and mileage. The engine oil is dirty and should be changed. I found no issues on the test drive. The engine had plenty of power and there were no misfires or excessive smoking. The transmission shifted as designed with no harsh engagement or slipping. The steering was responsive and the suspension was firm and the vehicle handled well. There were no abnormal vibrations or odd noises. The brakes were firm with no pulsation felt. There were no leaks found to the underside of the vehicle. I hooked up my Scan Tool to the computer system and found no current or pending codes. All of the live data looked good with no issues reported. Overall a decent vehicle. See below and pictures for more info."

I think at this point is more of a which evo 8 I want. The cheaper with 100k miles or the bit expensive one with 43000 miles. I'm siding more with the lower mileage just because I can drive it longer.

DeeezNuuuts83 Jan 11, 2018 09:56 AM

Lower mileage is always a plus, when all other factors are equal. But don’t be overly worried about mileage though, as a lot of Evos have been very road-worthy for the long haul. 4RETECH has well over 400,000 miles on his Evo VIII, and he has over 400 whp.

But if you go with the lower mileage one of the two, see if there’s a way to look up its service history, since there’s a chance that it’s 60k service hasn’t been done yet. Even though the other one has higher mileage and is the same age, there’s a better chance that it at least has the service done.

TechExpress Jan 17, 2018 07:51 AM

If you must pick one or the other, I'd always go with the lower mileage one since they both appear to have a pretty clean history.
I think lower mileage cars tend to tickle my fancy, even though it is highly possible that the 43k mile evo was romped on the entire life while the 106k mile evo was carefully driven by a respectful owner.

evoguy4242 Jan 17, 2018 01:13 PM

JUST make sure there isn’t any underlying issues before you buy

Spoolin4g63 Jan 17, 2018 02:43 PM

I would be patient and keep looking.

If you buy one, I would go with the lower mileage one and take it to a dealer and have PPI performed.

Hcenteno21 Jan 21, 2018 08:28 PM

I'm seeing two evo that I like and need your opinions on this. I'll post the links here so you can see them yourself.

I have a 9 for sale... but165k miles! Bone stock.

Dingodile Jan 22, 2018 03:02 PM

Please don't stress the miles too much.

There are tons of high mileage evo's out there that will be cleaner, more reliable, and better taken care of than lower mileage ones!

BluEVOIX Jan 22, 2018 07:20 PM

Let me get this straight, you live in California according to your profile and your looking for rusted Evo from the Northeast/Midwest ? WHY ?

I only looked at the xlautogroup and automatically saw the rust forming on the driver side rear quarter or the big a$$ gap between front bumper and fender. I’m not going to waste time looking at the lexusofmanhattan site. If its a dealer stay away. Search private party as 99.9999% of dealer Evos were bought with issues/non reported crashes at dealer auctions and fixed to sell the crap to you.

If your really in the market for an Evo here is the best advise you can get other day try to look private party.

1. Look for an Evo never driven in Snow or Road Salt that means ZERO RUST top or bottom. So stick to non snow/salt states. If you must look at the salt belt states then it better be private part that the condition proves it never was driven in snow/salt.

2. Low mileage doesnt necessarily mean great condition. Unfortunately with the Evo too many people running dual Gauge Clusters one low mileage original and other to rank up the miles just to switch back and say “low mileage” . If they are not doing that , then what little mileage they put on , they did it without taking care of it and had issues they want to pass to someone else. Maybe even in bad accidents they never reported and fixed at their buddies shop calling it a “clean title” .

3. "Bone Stock aka never modified” - Lately it just means they returned it back to stock to sell to you. Also the stock parts they put back together they bought used at the forum or ebay with who knows what the real condition of it is or mileage....

4. With the Evo you get what you pay. There is a reason why some Evo’s are 10K and some 20-28K . Except dealers, they just mark up garbage they buy clean and wax the engine bay like it was well kept in pictures only. Very rarely someone with a good evo will go trade it in aka get screwed at a dealer because they grew out of it or wanted a change.

5. A lot of people buy Evo’s mess things up or realize they bought someone else's issues and turn around trying to sell to you. Some times its legit like life changes , family etc.. But you have to be careful not to be sold their crap lies.

Now you know the Evo truth of what is really out there. Happy hunting.