EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Evo 9 mr 6 speed (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/749746-evo-9-mr-6-speed.html)

eliruiz Jul 7, 2018 11:50 PM

Evo 9 mr 6 speed

Can you make big power on a evo 9 6speed. If you get the transmission redone???

llDemonll Jul 9, 2018 07:11 AM

define big power.

launches are really what kill it, and slamming 3/4th since those are the smallest gears (physically) and are usually the first to let go

butte Jul 9, 2018 08:36 AM

From what I've read, the problems with the 6 speed become apparent during track days where the trans temperatures get a lot hotter than they would on the five speed and fourth gear is usually the first to fail. I've had a 6 speed for 4 years from from 400whp and now to 600whp and I've had to replace the main shaft bearing but never had an issue with the gear assemblies.

eliruiz Jul 9, 2018 01:41 PM

Hmmm.... well ok this makes a lot of sense. I was curious cause I was just looking around and seeing why everyone changes the 6 speed to a 5 speed. I was curious thou is there no modification or something you can do to make the 6vspeed as strong at the 5 speed?

llDemonll Jul 10, 2018 07:17 AM

I have a 6-speed right now on loan from a friend. After driving this car, I would have purchased an MR if I could do it all over again years ago. The 6-speed drives SO much nicer than the 5-speed, and I never tracked my car or launched it or anything so the strength wasn't a concern.

kyoo Jul 10, 2018 08:00 AM

i've had both. depends on what you mean by big power, but you can get stronger gears that will help anyway

kaj Jul 10, 2018 05:15 PM

4th gear is physically smaller and there is about half a quart less fluid. Fourth tends to get hot and fail with torque numbers above 350.
I've used both and prefer the 6 because:
1. It shifts better
2. I prefer the gear ratios
3. I prefer the shifter location
The downsides are:
1. expensive as crap to rebuild (due to freight shipping cost)
2. Very little support.
3. Upgraded gear sets are big $$$
I have a broken 6 in my car now. I can't decide between tossing in the 5 I have or selling it and dealing with the 6 until I can afford to get it fixed.

6 > 5 x 1,000,000

eliruiz Jul 10, 2018 05:28 PM

Thanks every one I really appreciate it. I love all the feedback. Right now I'm looking at a evo 9 mr and was just curious on the 6 speed. If I should get it or not. Also to see if there is any support for it.

ronaldo9 Jul 10, 2018 05:30 PM

They make upgraded gears and synchros for the 6 speed but its not cheap. That being said I'm still rocking my 6 speed but don't plan on making big power. Keep the tq down and be religious with fluid changes and it should last a long time if you drive sensibly.

kyoo Jul 10, 2018 05:31 PM

gear ratios are kind of lame on the 6 speed i thought. i want a taller 3rd and 4th.. and 5th and 6th lol

TrendSetter Jul 12, 2018 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by kyoo (Post 11830261)
gear ratios are kind of lame on the 6 speed i thought. i want a taller 3rd and 4th.. and 5th and 6th lol

its a road race transmission so the ratios are really close. I completely agree though, i would love a longer 5th and 6th. my zx10 was the same way.

kaj Jul 12, 2018 10:35 AM

I'd actually like a shorter 5th.