EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   What is in higher demand? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/749786-what-higher-demand.html)

2006EvoIXer Jul 10, 2018 12:12 AM

What is in higher demand?

If you have a choice of stock evo 9 or a fresh build of your choice, which would you rather have? Stock, mild, or wild?

MinusPrevious Jul 10, 2018 07:18 AM

Don

Mixed emotions on this. As much as I like all the Mods, buying an unmolested EvO would be great & starting over again. Would likely not keep it stock

But buying a fully modded EvO (built motor, trans, front & rear end diffs) would be fun as well

But, whats in higher demand would likely be the stock "Unicorn" type EvO. More inherent value!

:beer:

kyoo Jul 10, 2018 07:59 AM

good question. i like stock but at the same time it would be nice if all the little standard **** was knocked out already

Biggiesacks Jul 10, 2018 08:02 AM

I think ideally most would want a bone stock, but the price people are asking for those is pretty high, so i think the demand for a more reasonably priced slightly modded evo puts them in higher demand.

2006EvoIXer Jul 10, 2018 09:16 AM

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm asking because I found a really nice evo 9 body with blown engine. I plan to restore it with stock engine. I'd love to build the engine before installing it but I don't see people paying for a build. I can fix this so many ways but I think stock brings me the most return. And yes, my wife will kill me when she sees a tow truck dropping this car off! :lol:

2006EvoIXer Jul 10, 2018 09:23 AM

My first plan was to build my K1 crank/Carrillo rods/Manley pistons motor and throw it in this new evo 9 and beef up tranny/TC/rear diff. Then I added up the cost with this car and realized there's no way I can keep it.

So now I'm thinking I'll keep my race engine for my original evo and rebuild this 2nd evo to sell. This 2nd evo has a better paint job and I REALLY want to keep it...but either this 2nd evo goes or my wife will go (I already know before she says it!) :lol:

2006EvoIXer Jul 10, 2018 09:34 AM

I forgot to mention that this 2nd evo doesn't have any rust and has a clean title.

heel2toe Jul 10, 2018 09:50 AM

It seems you already have your answer but figured I too would chime in. If your intent is to purchase this evo to flip it do not build a new motor. Instead find a good OEM longblock drop it in and call it a day. Not only will the motor be far less expensive to source but it should also fetch more money over a built motor. I mean the rotating assembly you mentioned is like 3k alone at least, not even including machining costs.

If this chassis you are looking at is as clean as you say, have you considered keeping that one instead and selling yours? Parts can be replaced but when it comes to finding a clean shell that is something that you cant exactly replicate. Sure you can cut out and repair but once again at what cost?

2006EvoIXer Jul 10, 2018 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by heel2toe (Post 11830181)
It seems you already have your answer but figured I too would chime in. If your intent is to purchase this evo to flip it do not build a new motor. Instead find a good OEM longblock drop it in and call it a day. Not only will the motor be far less expensive to source but it should also fetch more money over a built motor. I mean the rotating assembly you mentioned is like 3k alone at least, not even including machining costs.

If this chassis you are looking at is as clean as you say, have you considered keeping that one instead and selling yours? Parts can be replaced but when it comes to finding a clean shell that is something that you cant exactly replicate. Sure you can cut out and repair but once again at what cost?

That's exactly why I'm struggling with this. My evo was bought brand new from dealer but after 5 years of being garaged, I started filling up garage and left my car in driveway. That killed my roof clear coat. I want to build this 2nd evo to keep and sell my original evo but my wife won't like me selling our first evo (and I feel like I'm abandoning my baby too:lol:). My evo has 61k miles and this has 85k. I want to keep both but my wallet has been bled dry with my engine build.
And I do have a low mile longblock coming, but it just feels wrong to install it with oem rods.

Biggiesacks Jul 10, 2018 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer (Post 11830182)
That's exactly why I'm struggling with this. My evo was bought brand new from dealer but after 5 years of being garaged, I started filling up garage and left my car in driveway. That killed my roof clear coat. I want to build this 2nd evo to keep and sell my original evo but my wife won't like me selling our first evo (and I feel like I'm abandoning my baby too:lol:). My evo has 61k miles and this has 85k. I want to keep both but my wallet has been bled dry with my engine build.
And I do have a low mile longblock coming, but it just feels wrong to install it with oem rods.

If your the original owner of yours keep it. That makes it worth more especially as it ages.

2006EvoIXer Jul 10, 2018 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks (Post 11830187)
If your the original owner of yours keep it. That makes it worth more especially as it ages.

I am.

MinusPrevious Jul 10, 2018 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks (Post 11830187)
That makes it worth more especially as it ages.

Yes, Don is aging, if that is what you meant:D

2006EvoIXer Jul 10, 2018 10:58 AM

I'll do a complete check on engine to make sure it's healthy. Then install and change all the fluids. I'll even throw in O2 housing, FMIC, and exhaust. I have my oem injectors freshly cleaned.

2006EvoIXer Jul 10, 2018 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious (Post 11830191)
Yes, Don is aging, if that is what you meant:D

:lol:

MinusPrevious Jul 10, 2018 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer (Post 11830194)
:lol:

Ive got more age than you, so i win, I think :crap: