EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   should I buy a salvage evo 8 that needs a head gasket? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/751083-should-i-buy-salvage-evo-8-needs-head-gasket.html)

Jdmvisha Sep 30, 2018 09:42 AM

should I buy a salvage evo 8 that needs a head gasket?

Hi i just joined the forum a while ago, and I wanted some professional opinion on the car I might purchase. It’s a 05 evo 8 with 105,000 miles, and it holds a salvage title. The car has not body damage prior to it’s front end accident. It was listed for 12,500, and after looking at the car i noticed it needed a Head gasket. The owner had told me some was wrong before looking at it. I’m personally not willing to pay 12,500 for the car so after talking to the owner I was able to bring him down to 8,500 after being told it has a break leak. I want to know if this is a good deal for a evo, the car isn’t stock it has some exterior, interior, and engine mods. I’d like to know if this is a good deal for a salvage evo that needs a head gasket. Thank you all for your time

MinusPrevious Sep 30, 2018 09:56 AM

Hey welcome!

How about posting a link to the for sale post? That would give us a bit more info

Certainly at $8500.00 that would be quite the bargain. If all that is needed is a head gasket? There are many other components to consider (T-Case, Rear end, Trans, bottom end, body corrosion, etc)

:beer:

Jdmvisha Sep 30, 2018 10:02 AM

Jdmvisha Sep 30, 2018 10:08 AM

It just needs a head gasket, and it has a brake leak.

MinusPrevious Sep 30, 2018 10:19 AM

Hey looks pretty cool. Has the period correct rear wing as well. I checked the Smog history w/no Referee issues & all Passes

I wish they would post up a few engine bay pics. (those pics sometimes tell stories)

Id grab it for $8500.00. Being a Calif car, corrosion is likely not an issue

Keep us posted!

Jdmvisha Sep 30, 2018 10:21 AM

Yea I checked the car out in person, and all it’s body lines where fine. The engine bay is actually really nice, and has no signs of leaks or anything.

kaj Sep 30, 2018 10:23 AM

Worth it, assuming that's all that is wrong.

barneyb Sep 30, 2018 11:13 AM

Perfect condition and those miles - 18,000
Salvage title - 9000
Possibly needs a new engine 4500

Jdmvisha Sep 30, 2018 12:22 PM

Someone’s listed a evo 8 with 115,000 miles that holds a salvage title for 16,000, and it needs nothing. The car I’m looking at shows all sign of a gead gasket replacement it smokes white fumes, under the oil cap it had the mixture of oil and water. The car runs and drives but smokes a lot.

kaj Sep 30, 2018 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jdmvisha (Post 11841498)
Someone’s listed a evo 8 with 115,000 miles that holds a salvage title for 16,000, and it needs nothing. The car I’m looking at shows all sign of a gead gasket replacement it smokes white fumes, under the oil cap it had the mixture of oil and water. The car runs and drives but smokes a lot.

You have to ask yourself why the head gasket died and what other damage could have been done.

Jdmvisha Sep 30, 2018 12:26 PM

@kaj that’s what I’m trying to figure out, I’m thinking of getting a prepurchase inspection by a shop called fftec.

LetsGetThisDone Sep 30, 2018 12:33 PM

Says it has a valve seal issue. Not a head gasket. With the salvage title plus engine issues, I wouldn't pay more than $5k.

Jdmvisha Sep 30, 2018 12:36 PM

I checked the car in person. Not a valve seal issue. It needs a head gasket.

kaj Sep 30, 2018 12:57 PM

Inspections are a great idea. I put my current Evo on a lift,.looked it over, drove it, and ran every test I could. Six years later ,no surprises and I ended up getting it for $3K less than asking.
Definitely good for peace of mind.

llDemonll Oct 1, 2018 08:36 AM

Have the owner fix the head gasket issue and tell him you're willing to pay $1500 more than his asking price.

Unless you want a money pit, don't buy a car that "just needs a head gasket". Chances are it's more than that. Especially if the brakes leak somewhere, and the front end was repaired with cheaper parts.

Skip it, spend the money on a better deal. You can find higher miles (100-140k) for the same 12k price range you're looking at that don't have issues if you look for long enough. This is also a salvage title which kills any resale value