EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Loud Howling/Whining/Wind Noise After WOT Pull in 4th or 5th Gear (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/751366-loud-howling-whining-wind-noise-after-wot-pull-4th-5th-gear.html)

ashinn90 Oct 15, 2018 06:58 PM

Loud Howling/Whining/Wind Noise After WOT Pull in 4th or 5th Gear

Hey everyone,

So unfortunately I'm away from the Evo due to work, so I won't be able to post a video. But, has anyone else experienced a loud whine or howl that sounds like bad wind noise after a WOT pull in higher gears? It generally seems to happen in either 4th or 5th around 100+ mph. It also seems to happen under the previously mentioned situations and braking somewhat hard to bring speeds back down. I didn't experience any noises like this when I took the Evo on 1/4 mile runs at the track, but seems to happen when I'm on the freeway/highway intermittently.

I've brushed it off as bad wind noise due to what's probably terrible weatherseals on these cars, but I'm curious if anyone else has first-hand experience of this.

Thanks

Project_Broke Oct 17, 2018 08:15 AM

Could just be drivetrain noise from slowing down faster than normal.

Could be tires.

I'm usually too focused to notice noises coming down from that speed, but mine does make a whine on decel.

Bee-Raddd Oct 24, 2018 12:50 PM

Highly likely to be crap/cheap tires.

They generally make a howling kinda noise at high speed. especially if they are directional tires.

If its more of a mechanical sound then it could be a diff or transfer case. Might pay to check oil levels and service them.

ashinn90 Oct 24, 2018 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Project_Broke (Post 11844595)
Could just be drivetrain noise from slowing down faster than normal.

Could be tires.

I'm usually too focused to notice noises coming down from that speed, but mine does make a whine on decel.

I know what you're saying about focusing, but that's interesting that you say you have a whine on decel. Does it happen all the time or is it intermittent?

ashinn90 Oct 24, 2018 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by bee-raddd (Post 11845639)
Highly likely to be crap/cheap tires.

They generally make a howling kinda noise at high speed. especially if they are directional tires.

If its more of a mechanical sound then it could be a diff or transfer case. Might pay to check oil levels and service them.

Now I've heard a rumor that tires from Costco, regardless of the brand are cheaper in quality, but I haven't seemingly had any issues with them. I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ at the stock wheel size on stock BBS's. And as Project_Broke mentioned, it generally happens when I brake hard and decel. Not necessarily a constant noise like tire noises.

Project_Broke Oct 29, 2018 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by ashinn90 (Post 11845685)
I know what you're saying about focusing, but that's interesting that you say you have a whine on decel. Does it happen all the time or is it intermittent?

Any time I'm running higher than 70 or so on Decel, it's most likely the rear diff.

I don't notice it anymore as I toasted my T-case on a drag launch and I hear that now {pcfreak}

Evo9_Dubai Nov 7, 2018 11:52 AM

Are you sure it is not from the driver side mirror? First time I heard it, it scared the crap out of me but little research on evom showed that the driver side mirror made some terrible wind noise at high speed and goes away as you slow down.

CaptainSquirts Nov 8, 2018 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by ashinn90 (Post 11845687)
Now I've heard a rumor that tires from Costco, regardless of the brand are cheaper in quality, but I haven't seemingly had any issues with them. I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ at the stock wheel size on stock BBS's. And as Project_Broke mentioned, it generally happens when I brake hard and decel. Not necessarily a constant noise like tire noises.

I'll call bull on Costco using cheaper quality stuff. Would be odd for Michellin and Bridgestone(tires costco sells) to use different methods and material just for Costco. Sounds very expensive and pointless for them to do that than just use what they normally use/do... If anything Costco usually has the best stuff!

Sharkbite2000 Nov 8, 2018 08:06 AM

Just an evo always making all kind of noises :)

Project_Broke Nov 8, 2018 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts (Post 11847867)
I'll call bull on Costco using cheaper quality stuff. Would be odd for Michellin and Bridgestone(tires costco sells) to use different methods and material just for Costco. Sounds very expensive and pointless for them to do that than just use what they normally use/do... If anything Costco usually has the best stuff!

Working in the car business, I can tell you our tires are different entirely from off the shelf tires by the same manufacturer and series, due to manufacturer expectations.

So it is not off the wall that they would have cheaper materials, just as we have more expensive ones.

FWIW I'm not arguing they ARE, I'm just arguing it's not impossible.

CaptainSquirts Nov 8, 2018 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Project_Broke (Post 11847898)
Working in the car business, I can tell you our tires are different entirely from off the shelf tires by the same manufacturer and series, due to manufacturer expectations.

So it is not off the wall that they would have cheaper materials, just as we have more expensive ones.

FWIW I'm not arguing they ARE, I'm just arguing it's not impossible.

So you're saying (sing the Costco one since it was mentioned) that a Pilot Super Sport tire from Tirerack can be different from Costco's? I would assume there would be a different "parts/serial number" for it if that was the case. I know there are different types of the same tires like Kumho v720 and Kumho v720 ACR(one viper uses). Also Pilot Super sport tires for regular and one for Buggati's that run for like 25k for the set are different from each other. But if stores sold the same tire without mentioning or noting anywhere it's different compared to the "regular" stuff, I can only imagine that's a big no no. But again I have no idea, just more of speaking my opinion.

Project_Broke Nov 9, 2018 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts (Post 11847941)
So you're saying (sing the Costco one since it was mentioned) that a Pilot Super Sport tire from Tirerack can be different from Costco's? I would assume there would be a different "parts/serial number" for it if that was the case. I know there are different types of the same tires like Kumho v720 and Kumho v720 ACR(one viper uses). Also Pilot Super sport tires for regular and one for Buggati's that run for like 25k for the set are different from each other. But if stores sold the same tire without mentioning or noting anywhere it's different compared to the "regular" stuff, I can only imagine that's a big no no. But again I have no idea, just more of speaking my opinion.

Yep, usually the part number differs, but the exact same model name is on the tire. The tires differ in belt and rubber compounds. We run into issues because people buy a tire somewhere else when one blows, and then the TPMS won't recognize it because it's ever so slightly different. You have to find the part number on the tire to tell the difference. Treads are even the same.

Like I said, no idea if Cosco or anyone but OEMs engage in this practice, but it exists.

Edit: To address your other question; We do advertise that our OE tires are different, even though the models are the same, and offer explanations for the price difference. I may have a brochure somewhere I can quote.

Project_Broke Nov 9, 2018 06:46 AM

It's the same practice several electronics and clothing manufacturers take part in.

The same TV's are that much cheaper somewhere else, because they are made cheaper.

The "outlet" clothing stores use cheaper materials on purpose.

ashinn90 Dec 22, 2018 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Evo9_Dubai (Post 11847741)
Are you sure it is not from the driver side mirror? First time I heard it, it scared the crap out of me but little research on evom showed that the driver side mirror made some terrible wind noise at high speed and goes away as you slow down.

Hmm i guess it could be that? I wasn't aware of this. . .I'll have to do a search. . .

And Sharkbite2000, you're right though lol

Stark_Tech Dec 30, 2018 02:51 AM

One thing you could try is to find a set of tires from another evo or similar that you can borrow and throw them on! Go see if it still does it with an entirely different set of tires. This is assuming you live near someone with the right wheels and tires you need to do this. I have several friends with evo's so this would be easy for me. Wish I could help you more.