EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   General Engine Management / Tuning Forum (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/general-engine-management-tuning-forum-129/)
-   -   Failed SMOG in CA *PLEASE HELP* (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/general-engine-management-tuning-forum/752527-failed-smog-ca-please-help.html)

evostanman Jan 4, 2019 02:53 PM

Failed SMOG in CA *PLEASE HELP*

Failed smog today due to "DATA FAIL OBDII"

I'm forced to see a ref for this. Do I have to convert back to stock (exhaust & intake & flash)

Mod list:
GSC S2
wally pump
open dump down pipe
resonated CAT
Tomei Cat back
FIC 1100
EBC
Tune
E85

Any input is much appreciated
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...22f350ade4.jpg

2006EvoIXer Jan 4, 2019 02:59 PM

Looks like it. Open O2 dump has to go and put your stock exhaust back. You will also need a tuner to fix your tune to pass smog.

evostanman Jan 4, 2019 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer (Post 11855211)
Looks like it. Open O2 dump has to go and put your stock exhaust back. You will also need a tuner to fix your tune to pass smog.

damn. I though my tune was ok for smog day. I'm also on cams so a stock re-flash will have me worried.

2006EvoIXer Jan 4, 2019 03:12 PM

Im not a tuner. I read there is a code (ID regional code?) on each ECU that needs to match what they have on record. Your tuner probably overwrote with another ECU code that isn't what's on record for your car. I'm not certain but would like to know for certain myself.

​​​​

MinusPrevious Jan 4, 2019 03:43 PM

What a PITA. Sorry you got flagged:crap: Im surprised you rolled in w/an open O2 dump, but it doest look like that was flagged?

If i ever get flagged, plan "M" goes into effect

Please keep us posted on how you move through this

:beer:

lv05evo Jan 4, 2019 03:50 PM

For the turbo charger / supercharger section it says not applicable. When I smogged my car I was told the "book" says my car should not have a turbo. Weird I wonder if that makes a difference.

zeRep85RA Jan 4, 2019 04:02 PM

People say that the state ref wants to see EVERYTHING stock..EVERYTHING

https://asktheref.org/About/Monitor-Readiness-Concerns

Referee Centers also reinspect vehicles that receive a "DATA CHECK FAIL" during a BAR-OIS inspection. A "DATA CHECK FAIL" occurs when data downloaded from the vehicle's OBD system during its last inspection is inappropriate for that vehicle. In order for the vehicle to receive a Smog Check certificate, the Referee must perform an inspection and verify the appropriateness of the data. Note that once the Referee issues a Smog Check certificate to your vehicle, it may again be inspected at other stations during the next inspection cycle. A Referee inspection appointment may be scheduled by calling (800) 622-7733.

z
E
R
E
p

zeRep85RA Jan 4, 2019 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious (Post 11855222)
Im surprised you rolled in w/an open O2 dump

Yeah

probably a "friendly" smog station that skips the visual inspection...

zeRep

Pal215 Jan 4, 2019 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by zeRep85RA (Post 11855225)
People say that the state ref wants to see EVERYTHING stock..EVERYTHING

https://asktheref.org/About/Monitor-Readiness-Concerns

Referee Centers also reinspect vehicles that receive a "DATA CHECK FAIL" during a BAR-OIS inspection. A "DATA CHECK FAIL" occurs when data downloaded from the vehicle's OBD system during its last inspection is inappropriate for that vehicle. In order for the vehicle to receive a Smog Check certificate, the Referee must perform an inspection and verify the appropriateness of the data. Note that once the Referee issues a Smog Check certificate to your vehicle, it may again be inspected at other stations during the next inspection cycle. A Referee inspection appointment may be scheduled by calling (800) 622-7733.

z
E
R
E
p

Correct, that's the experience that I had when I got reffed 8 years ago. They want to see EVERYTHING stock. Anything flashy in the slightest bit will have you sent home to return it back to stock. They even use a mirror under your car to check and see if there are any brushed aluminum or shiny parts down there as if you are carrying drugs. Rust and oxidation are your best friend here. They like seeing rust and oxidation. This "Visual inspection," as they like to call it, was actually a behavior passed down to the CA judicial branch from the Nazis back in WWII. Your evo can pass the emissions test with better ratings than many camrys out there, but it will still be failed by visual. I still don't understand the logic behind it....because it's NOT logical.

OP, Best of luck to you in your quest to make it pass. Remember, if they can SEE it, they will fail it. If your cams sound stock and produce passing emissions, they will NOT fail you because they won't know about them. They will not remove the valve cover to check this and most of them are not trained to measure cam shaft lobe differences between aftermarket and stock. Many cams don't have markings that give it away either.

Lumpy Sticks Jan 4, 2019 04:40 PM

CA strikes again. Such a horrible state to live in. My biggest concern would be the cams. The s2 cams do not idle smooth at all. I would imagine that the state refs know what aftermarket cams sound like. Even with stock exhaust, I'm sure you can hear them lope. Good luck with this OP!

2006EvoIXer Jan 4, 2019 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks (Post 11855234)
CA strikes again. Such a horrible state to live in. My biggest concern would be the cams. The s2 cams do not idle smooth at all. I would imagine that the state refs know what aftermarket cams sound like. Even with stock exhaust, I'm sure you can hear them lope. Good luck with this OP!

I know how to make a IX sound stock with S2 cams. Mine is smoooooth! Lol

wincitysupreme Jan 4, 2019 10:59 PM

Damn sorry to hear about your smog. I live in socal too but what my tuner was just flashed my ecu to a different rom and turned back on all my monitors and then it was good to go then I just had it reflashed back to my tune after the smog.

2006EvoIXer Jan 4, 2019 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by wincitysupreme (Post 11855266)
Damn sorry to hear about your smog. I live in socal too but what my tuner was just flashed my ecu to a different rom and turned back on all my monitors and then it was good to go then I just had it reflashed back to my tune after the smog.

There is a way to pass without the flashing back and forth nonsense.

iD33 Jan 5, 2019 12:01 AM

I'm confused, was there something in the OBD II check that triggered the fail? Like a PID turned off and the Smog check software picked up on it?

wincitysupreme Jan 5, 2019 11:05 PM

Yeah I know its a bit of a hassle. What do you do?