EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Nullify Fines For Loud Mufflers In California! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/752580-nullify-fines-loud-mufflers-california.html)

city Jan 7, 2019 03:13 PM

Nullify Fines For Loud Mufflers In California!

Being a car enthusiast & car builder isn't illegal. Please help out and sign the petition.

https://www.change.org/p/nullify-fin...-in-california

iD33 Jan 9, 2019 05:24 PM

For context, California Assembly Bill AB 1824 changed the wording of the exhaust law specifically as follows:

"(4) Existing law provides that whenever any person is arrested for certain offenses, including, among other things, an infraction involving vehicle equipment, the arresting officer is required to permit the arrested person to execute a notice, prepared by the officer in triplicate, containing a promise to correct the violation and to deliver proof of correction to the issuing agency, unless the arresting officer finds that a disqualifying condition exists.

Existing law requires every motor vehicle subject to registration to be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and prohibits a muffler or exhaust system from being equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device. Existing law further prohibits the modification of an exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner that will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle exceeds existing noise limits.

This bill would include, among those conditions that are disqualifying, a violation of the above-described requirements related to mufflers and exhaust systems."

https://speedsociety.com/breaking-ca...n-correctable/

Wanted EVO IX Jan 9, 2019 05:48 PM

I’ve been seeing a lot of people bring up this topic on Facebook. Several are selling their cars because they don’t want to deal with CA laws and regs. Not sure what to believe with those posting their cars for sale for that reason... There has to be a solution to this. In my case I have a down pipe to a catalytic converter to an Invida exhaust. My car turns out 89 dbs at wide open throttle. I also don’t live in CA, but those cruiser motorcycles with the open pipes are often louder than the cars. Would this law be cracking down on them?

huzzle101 Jan 9, 2019 06:42 PM

I have been seeing this on a couple youtubers, that sucks if thats the case.

Lumpy Sticks Jan 9, 2019 06:44 PM

Motorcycles can be loud because its "safer" for them. You may not see them coming but you will hear them instead. At least that's what I have been told. My car isn't registered in CA so it doesnt matter to me but I run the RRE Steath exhaust so it's not like it would matter anyways. Shoot, besides visually, it would even pass CA smog. CA sucks for car enthusiasts.

boostedwrx Jan 9, 2019 07:03 PM

Lol. California, is anyone surprised.

MinusPrevious Jan 9, 2019 07:21 PM

Dont think its going to be a bigger issue than what we have today. If im not mistaken, a Cop can already Ref you if he suspects your emissions system has been modified.

This issue will die down like all the other laws on the books.

But for sure, we are in a bad state of affairs (hate the state)

2006EvoIXer Jan 9, 2019 09:04 PM

Cops can stick you with $1,000 automatic fine if he/she feels you modified it to make it louder (so this is any cop who sees too much bling and don't like how you look). Not correctable and you have to go to ref.
As you all know, I've gotten harassed end of November. I know my oem spoiler got him tailing me, so I'm now wingless. I'm considering painting my carbon fiber to match my car color. I'm also looking at throwing my stock exhaust on to not deal with cocky cops. It's not worth my time.
I'll probably be at Fontana more often since I need to test turbos, so it will be a lot more hassle. I will go with a bigger turbo to keep back pressure down since I'll probably be driving around with stock exhaust.

huzzle101 Jan 9, 2019 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious (Post 11855994)
Dont think its going to be a bigger issue than what we have today. If im not mistaken, a Cop can already Ref you if he suspects your emissions system has been modified.

This issue will die down like all the other laws on the books.

But for sure, we are in a bad state of affairs (hate the state)

I Have seen videos were they actually have a task force to handle these, so they are taking it pretty serious. Plus the 1000 dollar fine.

iD33 Jan 9, 2019 10:25 PM

Not sure what to believe yet but it seems this is the video which got folks talking. Varex muffler here I come. :banghead:

MinusPrevious Jan 10, 2019 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by huzzle101 (Post 11856009)
I Have seen videos were they actually have a task force to handle these, so they are taking it pretty serious. Plus the 1000 dollar fine.

Might be the same thing as the rolling smog stations. Aint going to last!

Be great if law enforc concentrates on the real criminals here in this lovely state

2006EvoIXer Jan 10, 2019 06:51 AM

Sorry double posted

2006EvoIXer Jan 10, 2019 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious (Post 11856034)
Might be the same thing as the rolling smog stations. Aint going to last!

Be great if law enforc concentrates on the real criminals here in this lovely state

That's exactly why I've lost respect for law enforcement. Instead of fully going after the criminals that break the law, they always come up with something stupid instead. Who thought ticketing loud mufflers will solve the illegal street takeovers? Do they know a stock exhaust RWD can do donuts just as easily as modded exhaust RWD? Are cops really that dumb? We already know that some have no clue AWD wouldn't be doing donuts. Do they just hire anyone to enforce the law? Tell me something: Would you hire a chef to build a bridge?

MinusPrevious Jan 10, 2019 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer (Post 11856040)
That's exactly why I've lost respect for law enforcement. Instead of fully going after the criminals that break the law, they always come up with something stupid instead. Who thought ticketing loud mufflers will solve the illegal street takeovers? Do they know a stock exhaust RWD can do donuts just as easily as modded exhaust RWD? Are cops really that dumb? We already know that some have no clue AWD wouldn't be doing donuts. Do they just hire anyone to engorce the law? Tell me something: Would you hire a chef to build a bridge?

Don

This hype on this new law wont last long. But its just another thorn in the car enthusiasts side to worry about

Biggiesacks Jan 10, 2019 08:13 AM

Correct me if im wrong, but the only changes to the law are that the officer no longer has the option to mark the citation as correctable. They always could have opted not to mark that option, so its not any new power they have, its just they have less options now when citing it. DB levels remain the same. The 1000 dollar fine being tossed around is if they suspect you have tampered with the emissions and send you to the ref, which is a different thing.