EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   If I end up keeping the evo..... (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/752661-if-i-end-up-keeping-evo.html)

NJ_evoIXgsr Jan 12, 2019 03:51 PM

If I end up keeping the evo.....

So this year I decide if I need the features of new cars or do I go with option A.5.

If I keep the evo (paid off and mechanically fine), I will need to nitpick everything to be happy.

I have no problems disclosing the status of my vehicle.

a) There are a few rust spots, one in engine bay near the hood prop and 1 on drivers side door. I don't know what can be done to fix these. Even an auto body spot I am cool with doesn't like dealing with rust because it just comes back.
b) Front bumper is chipped and spots of peel. I would love to go with a voltex front end but that is almost 1400 before paint, without canards (which I don't want anyway) and that's just the front bumper.
c) Definitely need a powder coat/repaint on - front cusco powerbar and calipers all around
d) New wheels - preference Advan RS 18 x 9
e) Current recaro seats need reupholster and fix as one side of the driver side ripped up from the side.
e1) I may just go with Braum seats. Looks good. Some good reviews on quality and durability but feels like a down grade. What are your opinions on Braum seats?
f) Pick up Fortune Auto 500s - Just to upgrade.
g) reclear wing

Say after all said and done without further power related upgrades. I end up spending 7-10k

Would it be worth just spending that 10K + trade in value on a new car? What would you do? I had a company car and daily for the past few years but will need a new daily or do I fix the evo and daily it? Sick of it sitting in my garage not being used but I also dont want to daily a 14 year old vehicle that cost a good amount to maintain as a daily driven evo. I have put on 34k in almost 6 years this upcoming March.

Cars that would take its place:

B8.5 Audi S4
2015+ Subaru WRX STI - I know I know!
2014 Evo X - Never really thought much of the X. Hence buying an evo 8 and an evo 9 in the past 10+ years so bottom of the list.

Never really looked at anything else so any thoughts on a 4door sports luxury AWD to be used all year round in NJ seasons.

NJ_evoIXgsr Jan 13, 2019 06:52 PM

Damn...

So no one has ever thought of purchasing the Braum seats?
No one has decided to move on to a B8.5 S4 or 2015+ STI?
Anyone move from EVO8/9 to EVO X have regrets or think it's a good move 5 years later? Which trim level X and what options are a must?

No one has a paid off EVO that is contemplating on trading her in for something NEWER?

Voltex or Varis front end?

huzzle101 Jan 13, 2019 07:56 PM

Just got my IX and will never sell it, i say if you can manage keep it as a collectors item, the value will continue to climb IMO.

I don't fancy subarus, if i get another car it would be a Evo X or an M2. Love audis too.

Voltex...

BeyondLimitsEvo Jan 14, 2019 06:46 AM

The B8.5 S4 is definitely an awesome car. I had a 2014 that just went back due to lease ending. Personally I wouldn’t own one because I’m not rich and would be willing to spend $1100 on new front brake pads (yes that’s actually what the dealer quoted me once when I was in for a free maintenance). Luckily I’m good with mechanical stuff and declined the offer, but still didn’t feel like eventually having to fix things after the warranty was expired. My advice is keep the evo and get something else to daily like an awd small suv or mid size pickup. Gradually over time do the small things to the evo and enjoy it when the weather is nice

19DB794 Jan 14, 2019 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So I was in the same boat as you in a way. I owned my Evo for 10 years and it was always garaged and barely driven. I ended up selling it privately and moved onto an Audi SQ5. I think my Evo had 53k miles when I sold it.

Although it's not a B8.5 S4 they do share the same motor and have a lot of similarities. For a newer car, the interior isn't as high tech as the newer generation but it's a massive upgrade over the Evo interior. I've never owned a luxury car and I must say it's nice to finally drive around comfortably. The aftermarket for the S4 is pretty good too if your looking to upgrade. The supercharged 3.0T in these vehicles are extremely reliable but just like anything else, requires maintenance. If your mechanically inclined, then maintenance will be that much cheaper.

I missed my Evo for the 1st 2-3 months or so after I sold it. I just hope whoever owns it now cares for it as well as I did. The person who bought it from me literally posted it for sale again a month later.

Here's a picture of my SQ5:

Attachment 322311

slocho Jan 14, 2019 06:36 PM

I only considered a subaru before getting an evo. I have never wanted anything german because of the price to repair them and difficulty or working on them (only my opinion, other poeple may love working on them).

I have not wanted to sell me evo because i love driving it and it has been reliable. Another factor is owning a somewhat rare car. There are only 2 evo 8s in my town.

If i were to sell my evo, it would be because i no longer enjoyed driving it and wanted something different.

At the end of the day, you can only purchase a car you can afford. Would i love to have a giant wherehouse full of rare and exotic cars? Sure, but i cant afford them.

Having said that, at the very least, give yourself a chance to drive the cars you are considering and see if you enjoy driving then, and of course feel confortable in them.

Good look in your search!

Evo Arcana Jan 18, 2019 06:32 PM

Kind of in the same boat as you. My IX sits so much and I have a 2015 GTI which is the DD. It's so much nicer inside, newer tech and much easier to get in and out of the driveway...also much quieter. I keep toying around with idea of selling the Evo and buying an older Cayman S, 228i Msport or Miata RF but then I drive it again and love it so much. I also see that it is holding its value pretty well which gives me pause on selling.
  • Maybe check out the Evo X MR. It has a great dual clutch and probably the most grown up of Evos.
  • Is Golf R an option for you? I know it's FWD biased Haldex system but a really nice interior and pretty quick (doesn't handle like an Evo though)
  • Mercedes GLA45 AMG (with body kit!), these can be had for high 20K range now; marketed as a CUV but it's really a hot hatch with a 2L 355hp engine
Best of luck. Driving as many options as you can before buying. :beer:

Jonno99 Jan 18, 2019 08:38 PM

The evo is a tinkerers car, its a great platform to build on and play with, once you're though tinkering its time to give it to another tinkerer, yeh i could own a focus RS and go as fast and DD it but then I'd have nothing to do in my spare time except house work for the misses and I'd rather be in the garage tinkering with the Evo ;)

Pal215 Jan 18, 2019 11:45 PM

I decided to just add the missing luxuries to the evo. It wasn't that hard, but that's just opinion.

DRAGHICI Jan 19, 2019 12:55 AM

I replaced my DD EVO X with a medium size pickup truck and never looked back!!
A pickup truck is like a Swiss Army Knife
i kept the EVO too :-)2018 Chevy Colorado 2.8 Turbo Diesel averaging 25mpg :-))

buying anything big now is no problem.

Gtimportfanatic Jan 19, 2019 04:34 AM

personally i'd never get rid of my evo, i just have way too much time and effort into it and it has always been a milestone car for me especially the evo 9, plus i got a one owner example who i am friends with the original owner of my car, works perfect.

i would say get into something comfortable as a new daily, German anything is awesome when functioning.
Braum seats are dope, alot are FIA certed and the prices are good... actually restoring my civic right now and that's the direction i'm headed for seats
little biased here but i prefer BC DS coilovers over anything in the market at that pricepoint.