EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Can anyone give an opinion on these evo 9 RS (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/753352-can-anyone-give-opinion-these-evo-9-rs.html)

Evolevos Feb 28, 2019 11:38 PM

Can anyone give an opinion on these evo 9 RS

So long story short I had a evo 8 I loved drunk driver hit me and totaled it got an Evo X I was not a fan of it and the damn car gave me multiple headaches moved onto a nice sti hatch and my wife’s car just died so she said how about I look for another evo 8/9 since she knows how much I loved and miss my old dirty silver beast....

mind you you I don’t care about power windows or any of that crap the car will be driven 30ish miles a week as I only live 3 miles from work I’ll post the link for the car below thank you for the input I really want a 9 over an 8 this seems to be the nicest one in my price range with pretty low miles on it well taken care of...

https://www.mminvestmentcars.com/veh...204353c43aa2c4

Mind you you I know English does great work so I’ll be double checking to make sure they did tune it and I like that it’s an RS PS I’m only like 45 mins from English racing so that helps to

barneyb Mar 1, 2019 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Evolevos (Post 11862765)
So long story short I had a evo 8 I loved drunk driver hit me and totaled it got an Evo X I was not a fan of it and the damn car gave me multiple headaches moved onto a nice sti hatch and my wife’s car just died so she said how about I look for another evo 8/9 since she knows how much I loved and miss my old dirty silver beast....

mind you you I don’t care about power windows or any of that crap the car will be driven 30ish miles a week as I only live 3 miles from work I’ll post the link for the car below thank you for the input I really want a 9 over an 8 this seems to be the nicest one in my price range with pretty low miles on it well taken care of...

Mind you you I know English does great work so I’ll be double checking to make sure they did tune it and I like that it’s an RS PS I’m only like 45 mins from English racing so that helps to

Since you are a previous owner of an Evo you know how the car should drive. So, drive it and have a mechanic check it out.

whtrice Mar 1, 2019 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Evolevos (Post 11862765)

Would be interested in what power levels the previous owner took it to as well as what kind of "duty" the car saw..... drag/track/daily...etc.

Is block still stock?

MinusPrevious Mar 1, 2019 11:53 AM

Looks pretty cool. Its def an RS (i own one as well). Dont like they pinned the OEM hood. Its got an Ebay front lip (ive got the same one). You can tell the front bumper cover has been on/off many times (typical)

25K is on the steep side & thats due to a dealer car (a lot of markup on their side). i bet they picked up that RS for under $20K. Wouldnt pay anymore than $20-21K

Id want to do a compression check & leak down & have a peek at the undercarriage. The tires suggest its been driven in the wet (corrosion check needed)

Evolevos Mar 1, 2019 01:37 PM

Thanks for the the replies guys it kbbs at 26ish k hoping I can talk them down a few grand on it hoping to as long as I don’t see any corrosion on it I know it’s from the northwest since I was able to call English racing and knkwbit was tuned there 2 years ago they had it on file still I’ve been looking for a good Evo IX and i hate the hood pins also but I’m willing to look for a new hood for it if I can

MinusPrevious Mar 1, 2019 01:40 PM

Yeah, keep us posted for sure. Be great to get you into an RS

We have a RS thread for ya, after you buy!
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ry-thread.html

Evolevos Mar 1, 2019 04:10 PM

So just a update for you guys i got to go look at it the car is fully built bottom and top end about 4 months ago from English racing with all the paperwork and reciepts and records the guy lost his job and his job and couldn’t afford to keep it but there’s about 8 grand in motor work done it drives fantastic so now I’m going to work on getting them down on price

LetsGetThisDone Mar 1, 2019 05:22 PM

Overpriced. 84k miles and they want $25k... lolz. Even with the built motor, that usually hurts resale unless your buying a fully prepared car with all the fixins. That thing looks basically stock unless its high an FP stock appearing turbo in there. Also the where the driver front fender and front bumper meet, something isn't right, they don't line up. No undertray, missing manifold heat shield, and I'm pretty sure there is something hanging down underneath the car, and its on snow tires, so it'll need tires once its back to summer in Oregon. You can find better evo's to spend $25k on.

Tuxevo Mar 1, 2019 11:16 PM

It has the motor from an 8, or at least the the valve cover of an 8. I'd check to see if they swapped to an 8 head. If I recall correctly, the valve covers aren't interchangeable. The hanging piece appears to be the harness for the oil temp sensor, but whow cares because the oil temp gauge is gone.
All in all it looks okay, but there are definitely questions I'd want answered before I bought it.

cficare68 Mar 2, 2019 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tuxevo (Post 11862895)
It has the motor from an 8, or at least the the valve cover of an 8. I'd check to see if they swapped to an 8 head. If I recall correctly, the valve covers aren't interchangeable. The hanging piece appears to be the harness for the oil temp sensor, but whow cares because the oil temp gauge is gone.
All in all it looks okay, but there are definitely questions I'd want answered before I bought it.

Can't put an 8 valve cover on a 9 head.... It has an 8 spark plug cover but that doesn't mean that it has an 8 head. I can't tell really well but it looks like that there is a cam angle sensor on the intake cam. If so the head would be a 9 head. But I can't see a good picture to see if it has a MIVec cam gear though.

Evolevos Mar 2, 2019 05:36 AM

I’m going to go look at it again today after work last night when I drove it it was already to dark to get a good look at everything but I could tell there was nothing hanging under it I thought that to but I couldn’t Find anything and now that I look at the pictures is it speed density tuned I don’t see a MAF on it maybe I’m missing it somewhere in the pictures lol

Evolevos Mar 2, 2019 07:05 AM

So what’s the best way to tell if it has an 8 swap into it or if it does have mivec I can’t really find a clear cut answer on google for that

MinusPrevious Mar 2, 2019 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Evolevos (Post 11862916)
So what’s the best way to tell if it has an 8 swap into it or if it does have mivec I can’t really find a clear cut answer on google for that

Its does look like an 8 motor. But here is a pic of the MIVEC intake cam gear. If this RS has this gear then its likely a MIVEC motor but i doubt that it has. Since the cam gear cover is off this will be easy to tell
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...35b044d9ce.jpg

Evolevos Mar 2, 2019 08:22 AM

Awesome thanks for the picture man they have all the paperwork from English racing on the motor so I am going to look over all of it since they did it just 4 months ago right no I’m leaning 60% no 40% yes I’m there going to need to come down on the price for sure if it’s an evo 8 engine and I can nit pick the cosmetics on it with them to get them down more if I can get them down on it a few grand I’ll get it and make it kind of a project side car for me I just want a 9 for the body style the only other 9 close by is 36k out of my price range...
and a evo 8 for 18k which isn’t bad and it’s really nice except it has 172k miles on it.
Yes the evo is that expensive in the PNW

cficare68 Mar 2, 2019 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Evolevos (Post 11862923)
Awesome thanks for the picture man they have all the paperwork from English racing on the motor so I am going to look over all of it since they did it just 4 months ago right no I’m leaning 60% no 40% yes I’m there going to need to come down on the price for sure if it’s an evo 8 engine and I can nit pick the cosmetics on it with them to get them down more if I can get them down on it a few grand I’ll get it and make it kind of a project side car for me I just want a 9 for the body style the only other 9 close by is 36k out of my price range...
and a evo 8 for 18k which isn’t bad and it’s really nice except it has 172k miles on it.
Yes the evo is that expensive in the PNW

Yeah I feel you're pain there. I'm in Idaho and when they come up they are pricey here as well. The MIVec cam gear is one way to tell. Also like is mention before check on the driver side of the head. A 9 head will have cam angle sensor on both the intake and exhaust cams. Where the 8 head will only have one on the exhaust side. Those would be the easier two ways to determine what head is in the car.