EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Flex fuel setups (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/765507-flex-fuel-setups.html)

BrunoBoy650 Sep 29, 2023 12:37 AM

Flex fuel setups

Anyone running a flex fuel setup without an ethanol gauge? I’m looking to run it to the ecu if possible and not have a bunch of gauges in my car.

schuhie Sep 29, 2023 06:44 AM

In order to do flex fuel, you need to convert the frequency signal from the GM sensor to a 0-5v analog signal so the ECU can determine what to do with it on the MAF pin(I think thats what all the patches use).
You basically need a convertor box(FiTronic used to make these but i don't know if they are still around and even when they were, you could only get them through specific tuners) or a gauge that does it like the innovate one.

One thing that I debated doing for mine before I ended up with the FiTronic setup was making my own convertor but its kind of a pain and it needs to be super reliable obviously.

My suggestion would be to use the innovate gauge and just mount it in the glove box or something so its out of the way and hidden.

BrunoBoy650 Sep 29, 2023 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by schuhie (Post 11972883)
In order to do flex fuel, you need to convert the frequency signal from the GM sensor to a 0-5v analog signal so the ECU can determine what to do with it on the MAF pin(I think thats what all the patches use).
You basically need a convertor box(FiTronic used to make these but i don't know if they are still around and even when they were, you could only get them through specific tuners) or a gauge that does it like the innovate one.

One thing that I debated doing for mine before I ended up with the FiTronic setup was making my own convertor but its kind of a pain and it needs to be super reliable obviously.

My suggestion would be to use the innovate gauge and just mount it in the glove box or something so its out of the way and hidden.

do you mean something like this? https://www.p3cars.com/gauge-accesso...ltage-adaptor/

schuhie Sep 29, 2023 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by BrunoBoy650 (Post 11972894)

That is definitely the sort of thing I was thinking about but I am unsure that would work? You'd have to verify it against the innovate setup to make sure the 0-5v matches between the 2. Based on a real quick read of the PDF, it does seem likely that would work.

Cali is a mess for mods, my suggestion is move lol. But in all seriousness, I get it. More flash = more problems.

BrunoBoy650 Sep 29, 2023 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by schuhie (Post 11972901)
That is definitely the sort of thing I was thinking about but I am unsure that would work? You'd have to verify it against the innovate setup to make sure the 0-5v matches between the 2. Based on a real quick read of the PDF, it does seem likely that would work.

Cali is a mess for mods, my suggestion is move lol. But in all seriousness, I get it. More flash = more problems.

Yea, I’m Widebody as well with a Voltex wing 😂. Thanks for answering my question.

schuhie Oct 2, 2023 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by BrunoBoy650 (Post 11972918)
Yea, I’m Widebody as well with a Voltex wing 😂. Thanks for answering my question.

Well then does a little gauge in the glovebox really matter lol.
No problem, glad I could try and help out.

BrunoBoy650 Oct 2, 2023 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by schuhie (Post 11972948)
Well then does a little gauge in the glovebox really matter lol.
No problem, glad I could try and help out.

lol you’re right. This is what P3 emailed me back. I assume it does work?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...1b92d168f.jpeg

schuhie Oct 2, 2023 09:51 AM

It seems like it will yea. You'd want to make sure when you wire it up the %'s match up but it seems like it should. That's a good find.

BrunoBoy650 Oct 3, 2023 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by schuhie (Post 11972954)
It seems like it will yea. You'd want to make sure when you wire it up the %'s match up but it seems like it should. That's a good find.

yea thanks! Just another option for people that need to stay incognito.

CurseDSM Oct 3, 2023 03:25 PM

Ic7 and call it a day lol. Put the guage right on the main cluster and no one will ever no different

schuhie Oct 4, 2023 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by CurseDSM (Post 11972988)
Ic7 and call it a day lol. Put the guage right on the main cluster and no one will ever no different

Leave us stock ECU people alone lol.

CurseDSM Oct 4, 2023 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by schuhie (Post 11972996)
Leave us stock ECU people alone lol.

Hey now I can't help it you are behind the times :p

schuhie Oct 4, 2023 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by CurseDSM (Post 11972998)
Hey now I can't help it you are behind the times :p

Maybe one day I'll do to a Haltech. I just don't have a reason to do it right now other than ease of troubleshooting. The Haltech being able to tell me when sensors are failing and **** would be nice.
I guess the safety features would be kind of nice too but mine is a street car, I can keep on eye on it well enough.

CurseDSM Oct 4, 2023 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by schuhie (Post 11973000)
Maybe one day I'll do to a Haltech. I just don't have a reason to do it right now other than ease of troubleshooting. The Haltech being able to tell me when sensors are failing and **** would be nice.
I guess the safety features would be kind of nice too but mine is a street car, I can keep on eye on it well enough.

Mines a slow ass street car as well. And yes it's nice to have 10x the data u need to help diagnose problems in the system

Evo11V Nov 7, 2023 09:33 AM

Look at my build in the signature.... getting ready to throw a G35-900 and new ETS turbokit on it as well love the flex fuel :D