Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

"How To" Intall Nology Hotwire In 17 Easy Steps!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2004, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up "How To" Intall Nology Hotwire In 17 Easy Steps!!

I installed them on my evo...good improvement...i saw the "how to" in a magazine..it helped me..and hope it'll help u!... mod..make this sticky if you can..!

1. Not only do the Nology HotWires work better than the stock units, they are also numbered for easy hookup.

2. The engine that comes in Mitsubishi EVO is marvel of engineering, but it can still use an upgrade.

3A-B. A few screws are all it takes to remove the factory spark plug cover.

4. The stock setup has two coils powering four spark plugs. It does this by being directly attached to one plug, with a lead wire going to the second plug.

5. There is a lead wire connecting the engine management system to the two coils. These are pulled, but they should also be marked so that the correct leads will be connected later.

6. With that, the plug lead/coils are removed from the engine.

7. With the relocation of coils, the leads need to be removed from the loom so that more lead is exposed.

8A-B. When the additional lead wire is exposed, it needs to be protected with electrical tape. It is run beneath the intake tube in roughly the area where the new coil mount will go.

9. The loom bracket is affixed to the cover.

10. The stock plug boot is pulled off of the coil.

11A-B. The coils are then attenched to the new Nology bracket. Note that they are inverted when attached.

12A-B. The Nolgy bracket is attached to the back edge of the valve cover. The stock engine management leads are connected.

13. The HotWires are connected to the coils and run to their respective plugs.

14A-B. The ground leads are connected in pairs to the valve cover.

15. A set of Nol0gy wire separators was used to keep the HotWires tangle-free.

16A-B. That quickly, the HotWires are in place and ready to deliver the maximum amount of spark that the EVO can generate.

17. All that is left to do is to install the cover and hit the road.

Now your done installing, you can enjoy spark 300 times more powerful than normal. The result is faster, more complete combustion and more HORSEPOWER. Nology Hotwire is 100% SMOG LEGAL!!

Last edited by J8dailo; Nov 16, 2004 at 09:56 AM.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 11:35 AM

Great thread!! A couple questions...Does the wire kit comes with the bracket and where did you buy this and how much?
Old Dec 25, 2004, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Very nice how-to, but do you actually feel a difference with these installed now?
Old Dec 25, 2004, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sleet
Very nice how-to, but do you actually feel a difference with these installed now?
I think alot of times when we buy parts for our car, we want to feel something because of the price we paid. It's psychological. Unless we have #'s to back up the feeling. Now as for Nology, I had those on my Civic and I didn't feel anything at all. In fact, they only lasted a year and one of the wires shorted. Out of curiosity I stripped the rest of the wires and I didn't see any capacitor. It was just another type of grounding wire.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good write up....I've never used Nology on my Evo, but I can tell you that they were a waste on my eclipse. I felt no difference, although I still have them on the car and have had no problems
Old Dec 25, 2004, 03:26 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well nology is there to provide hotter sparks more consistantly, so you don't get a misfire.

It's really not a performance mod. It'll only help if you have more fuel and air delievery.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

I don't like to be negative about vendor products, BUT in this case, I would STRONGLY recommend AGAINST this setup. It is a pretty HUGE step down from stock in terms of ignition performance. When I saw the thread show up in the new posts listing, I expected it to be satire with the final step involving the trashcan.

When I saw it was a serious thread, I was horrified...

Sorry, I just want to want to try to help prevent the community from supporting products that are garbage. The EVO community needs to strongly support vendors and products that ARE worth the money. In this case however, the product is far worse than stock, and not worth the money.

I have worked on a half dozen EVOs with this setup in the last month, and had major problems with misfires at higher than stock boost levels. In every case, putting the ignition back to stock completely solved the problem...

Leave the ignition completely stock, stock coilpacks, stock wires, UNTIL you have a constant problem with misfiring at higher boost, then and only then should you be looking at an ignition upgrade, and it won't include reusing the stock coilpacks.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blak94GSX
I don't like to be negative about vendor products, BUT in this case, I would STRONGLY recommend AGAINST this setup. It is a pretty HUGE step down from stock in terms of ignition performance. When I saw the thread show up in the new posts listing, I expected it to be satire with the final step involving the trashcan.

When I saw it was a serious thread, I was horrified...

Sorry, I just want to want to try to help prevent the community from supporting products that are garbage. The EVO community needs to strongly support vendors and products that ARE worth the money. In this case however, the product is far worse than stock, and not worth the money.

I have worked on a half dozen EVOs with this setup in the last month, and had major problems with misfires at higher than stock boost levels. In every case, putting the ignition back to stock completely solved the problem...

Leave the ignition completely stock, stock coilpacks, stock wires, UNTIL you have a constant problem with misfiring at higher boost, then and only then should you be looking at an ignition upgrade, and it won't include reusing the stock coilpacks.
I know this is old,but how about the Osuno(hotwires) Evo? doesnt he hold the full chassis best lap time at Tsukuba circuit?
Old Sep 5, 2013, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

running this nology setup about 6 yrs now with 25 lbs boost and no issues.

not sure about the issues that blak94gsk referring to