Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How To: In-Car Valve Spring and Retainer Install

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2015, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 07:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This how-to was very useful detailing the steps of this process. Here are my experiences from my GSC 5041 valve spring and OEM valve seal install on an Evo IX:

I used the Euroexport valve spring compressor that comes with the magnetic screwdriver and valve stem seal tool. The Evomoto cam install is wrong, I needed a 27mm wrench to hold the cam.

I didn't use air or rope to hold the valves up. The service manual states to set the piston at TDC and that worked perfectly. I used a rod through the spark plug hole to confirm 1 & 4, then 2 & 3 were at TDC. The valve dropped a few mm but there was plenty of room to compress the spring and use the magnetic screwdriver to remove and reinstall the keepers. I used a little petroleum jelly on the keepers when I reinstalled them so they'd stick to the valve stem. The GSC 5041 springs are a little longer than the stock ones so it takes a little longer to position the Euroexport compressor properly. If you start compressing the spring and the retainer hits the valve then stop, uncompress the spring, and reposition the tool.

The valve seals were on the guides tight and some of the valves have tight access for needle-nose pliers. Valve seal pliers would have made removal easier. Installation of the new seals was easy with a little assembly lube in the new seal, press it on the valve stem down to where it meets the guide. Place the installation tool onto the valve seal and lightly tap it on until it's seated. Watch the installation tool and you'll see it lowering with each tap and the sound will change noticeably once it's seated.

The exhaust cam gear bolt was a PITA for me. 1/2" ratchet: Nope. 5' breaker bar: Nope. 1/2" impact gun: Nope. I pulled the damn cam out with the gear still attached and put it in my vice. 5' Breaker bar w/ cam in vice: Whole workbench moves. I finally took the whole cam w/ gear to the shop I use and his 1000 ft/lbs impact spun it off.