Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How to swap auto transmission to manual transmission on my Evo-7 GT-A??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi GCustoms, did you get the manual conversion of the Airtrek finished? I'm 90% through my conversion, the car is running but I'm trying to get the auto speedo working with the speed sensor on my Evo 4 gearbox.

Have you got the speedo working ok? It looks like the wiring is different on the Airtrek ECU compared to the GTA - pin 80 for VSS is black yellow on the GTA but looks like blue / yellow on the Airtrek...

Cheers
Old May 6, 2014, 02:35 AM

For anyone doing an Airtrek manual conversion (may work for GTA manual conversion too?) and having fun getting their speedo going with a 5 speed box with speed sensor, you need to do the following:-

- Connect (tee in don't chop it completely) the signal wire (either pin 1 or 3 on the speed sensor TBC) through to the blue/white wire (terminal or pin 46 from memory) on the left plug on back of speedo. There is not much free wiring in the back behind the speedo to wiggle round so it's a tricky job.

- connect pin 2 (middle) to ground and the other pin from above (1 or 3) should be 12v with ignition on.

- to confirm you have the wiring correct the signal wire reads around 9-10volts with a meter (I thought it was meant to only be 5v) when ignition is on but plug is not connected to VSS.

I'll try to confirm which pin is which above as it you get those 2 around the wrong way it can kill the speed sensor

Tip - don't chop and try and re-use any of the now "unused" auto input or output shaft sensor wiring for any of the above connections... just run a new wire through the firewall for the signal right to the back of the speedo wiring.

Big thanks to QCustoms in Palmerston North NZ for helping me get it going after 3 months of no speedo!

Last edited by russellc2; May 6, 2014 at 02:39 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by tabrezk
ok guys the speedo all sorted, manual speedo works fine, the only thing different in the gta dash wiring is it has a 12v pin missing which feeds power to the speed sensor. all happy happy now.
Hi @tabrezk; , do you mind me asking what you did to get it working?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Se7ve
Hi @tabrezk; , do you mind me asking what you did to get it working?
Actually, are you using the GTA ECU with GTA clocks or manual ECU with GTA clocks???

I have a manual ECU with GTA clocks and cannot get it to work... (the speedo)
Old Nov 26, 2019, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by russellc2
Hi GCustoms, did you get the manual conversion of the Airtrek finished? I'm 90% through my conversion, the car is running but I'm trying to get the auto speedo working with the speed sensor on my Evo 4 gearbox.

Have you got the speedo working ok? It looks like the wiring is different on the Airtrek ECU compared to the GTA - pin 80 for VSS is black yellow on the GTA but looks like blue / yellow on the Airtrek...

Cheers
heya bud can u tell exactly what I'll need for a airtrek manual conversion please... gearbox axels case. Etc...