Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How To: HVAC Double Din Mod

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2010, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stevoooo
where are these available?
Originally Posted by 4g63girl
Can we see some install pictures? I was actually staring at my dash the other day thinking this would work! But I thought it would look retarded with the controls tilted down, not up... but then I was driving another evo with the triple lower gauge pod... and they are tilted up... Not sure if you could manipulate them enough to fit properly, but it's an idea.

This is the piece I'm talking about:
http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co..._lower_pod.htm
I used to build these bezels and sold them via ebay or by order. I'm no longer building them, but I have the necessary parts to build 1 more. What I'll do is fabricate this last one and take pics of the process. I'll then create a "How To" on the way I build them, but once I'm done with it, I'll list it at ebay. I have a full time job working shifts, and these past few weeks have been 16 hour shifts, so bear with me.

It'll take me at least a week, assuming it's not raining and my 16 hour shifts are over. I'll show the whole process, from cutting to paint and polish. If you have the time, the weather and the tools, you should be done in no time. I do all of this by hand... No machines, no molds, just a dremmel, some bondo, sanding paper and paint.

The "Orbital Kit", which was the original 2 DIN kit for Lancers and EVOs, was sold for $295 plus shipping. Now, take into consideration that they build them in ABS plastic. By using ABS with molds, they were able to reproduce many at a time. In my case, I bought the factory parts needed from the dealer ($45 at the most) and built the bezel from scratch. The cons: takes longer time to build and the most I did was 3 at a time. The pros: fitment, fitment, fitment.

If you have seen the "Orbital" kits throughout the web, you've probably noticed some insane gaps between the bezel and the OEM dash. Obviously, on their website and vendor posts they look awesome, but I've seen many that needed some tweaking to get a proper fit. Since I use factory parts, you can be sure that the part will align properly with dash, leaving no gaps.

When I finish the part, I'll list it at ebay for $125 plus $12 for shipping within the US. For the 2 DIN radio bezel, click here: http://japanparts.com/db/partslist.p...ey=180-042-001. These people ship fast, but be sure to click on "How To Order" before proceeding so that you understand how they work.

As for the HVAC decals, no trimming will be necessary with my bezel, but if you want to have other options, check out this site: www.caribbeancustomdesigns.com. They'll build them to your taste.

And some more pics:

You might see some bumps or rough parts on the bezel. This was my "mold". This was my practice part to take measurements and check on fitment before I started selling them.

Anyways... Just give about a week or two and I'll provide an update.

Last edited by cyanide; Aug 25, 2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subscribed
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:36 AM

theres a how-to on relocating the hvac to the bottom, theres a metal bracket you need to cut to make a hole for the cable to pass through, you'll know which one to cut when you're down there. after buying the jdm bezel, you need to drill new holes to lower the headunit down a bit, i would say... 1/4 inch or so, just measure twice and drill once.

oh i also got a double din trim plate from scoche for a honda civic to fill in the gap

Last edited by DE31; Aug 25, 2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DE31
theres a how-to on relocating the hvac to the bottom, theres a metal bracket you need to cut to make a hole for the cable to pass through, you'll know which one to cut when you're down there. after buying the jdm bezel, you need to drill new holes to lower the headunit down a bit, i would say... 1/4 inch or so, just measure twice and drill once.

oh i also got a double din trim plate from scoche for a honda civic to fill in the gap
No need to drill holes for the headunit. You just need to relocate the radio mounts in the holes where the HVAC controls used to be:

Using these:

2 DIN headunits come with various holes for using the OEM mounts:

By doing it this way, no drilling or measuring is required. Just put the OEM munts on the 2 DIN unit and the 2 DIN Bezel from JapanParts.com will fall in place and centered with the unit.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

subscribed
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:51 AM

interesting, did not know that, well luckily for me i didnt drill the headunit itself, just new holes in the mounting brackets
Old Aug 26, 2010, 01:51 AM
Evolved Member

Nice write up!!
Old Aug 26, 2010, 02:08 AM

subscribed
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Ok... I'm done with making another one, so I guess I'll post my process as well. Now, should I add it here, or would you guys want a new thread? Let me know.

Attached Thumbnails How To: HVAC Double Din Mod-dsc_0370.jpg  

Last edited by cyanide; Aug 31, 2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Tell us your process. Are you putting this on eBay?
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dolfandrus
Tell us your process. Are you putting this on eBay?
I just got home from work. I've decided to start a new thread, so I'll get into that once I've settled. I should have it ready by tonight, so I'll post the link in this thread.

This one was built for someone and I'm waiting for his payment. He's mailing in his OEM dash parts so that I send him this one and start building a new one.

As of now, there's a guy asking me for the next one, but I have no concrete answer about him buying or not. If this goes through, and this guy mails in his OEM dash parts, I'll build another one and so on. If you want one just let me know. I'll see what I can do.

It takes me about a week for the whole process because I have a full time job working shifts and the wifey needs attention as well, so I work on it during my free time.

You'll see the whole process in new thread.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

OK. Here's the new thread link. Enjoy!
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post8634646
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

when we do this do we need the metal brackets? or just the face piece for the lower part? how are the controls held in place?
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by burner67
when we do this do we need the metal brackets? or just the face piece for the lower part? how are the controls held in place?

The fatory radio mounts can be used for the 2 din unit and the HVAC controls are held in place with the lower HVAC bezel alone. That way you'll know the controls align well with the bezel.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

i want 1

Quick Reply: How To: HVAC Double Din Mod