Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How-To: EGR Removal VIII/IX (and charcoal/EVAP canister)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I purchased a car with this delete done and since I live in Ma, I will unfortunately have to reinstall the egr system to get a sticker. I'm wondering if anyone could list all the parts I'll need to order to complete the reinstall seeing as how they didnt come with the car. The evap system under the car was fortunately left untouched. It would be even better if someone wanted to sell me thew system as well...
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by K.Bullet
I purchased a car with this delete done and since I live in Ma, I will unfortunately have to reinstall the egr system to get a sticker. I'm wondering if anyone could list all the parts I'll need to order to complete the reinstall seeing as how they didnt come with the car. The evap system under the car was fortunately left untouched. It would be even better if someone wanted to sell me thew system as well...
I have the Evap canister I could sell you but, not the egr valve. I have the line bracket for the egr though
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

I have all the EGR and Evap stuff if you want it. I just removed all the stuff off the intake manifold, I haven't made my way back to the Evap stuff in the rear of the car.

Something to clarify since I haven't looked under there yet. Is it basically one tube from the fuel tank that vents gas into the Evap system? If I want to remove the most stuff from the car (for cleanliness and weight) do I simply put a check valve in this rubber line coming from the fuel tank, or is it more in depth?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
I have all the EGR and Evap stuff if you want it. I just removed all the stuff off the intake manifold, I haven't made my way back to the Evap stuff in the rear of the car.

Something to clarify since I haven't looked under there yet. Is it basically one tube from the fuel tank that vents gas into the Evap system? If I want to remove the most stuff from the car (for cleanliness and weight) do I simply put a check valve in this rubber line coming from the fuel tank, or is it more in depth?
Same question, is the picture in the OP the good/preferred method or the old one?
Edit:
Here is what I did, following the new method to remove the charcoal canister. I connected the two hoses (4 & 12) with a barrel that I cut off the stock charcoal canister(shown in figure 2) and capped off the bottom nipple of part 15 with a 3/8 cap(could not find a 12 mm one that it says to get in the instructions) and put the part 15 assembly back into the stock location, but rotated so the hoses have less bends.
I also disconnected the solenoid and tucked the plug up under the bumper.
Name:  2013-02-03122256_zpsc5c39c7b.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  65.7 KB

Name:  2013-02-03123110_zps8125aa0e.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  78.0 KB

Last edited by rich3389; Feb 3, 2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^Nice visual, thanks!
Old Feb 9, 2013, 08:30 PM

Has anyone heard of the Vacuum Control Soleniod going out on a 2.0 ls lancer?? I ran a smoke test and smoke was pooring out of mine. Should this be happening??? Its the orangey red valve located on the pasenger side just above the fuel pressure regualtor.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:40 AM

I just got my Evo a couple of weeks ago. It has 68k miles on it. After driving it about 2k miles, the service engine soon light came on. I used my buddies reader and it shot a code saying that the egr is not sufficiently working. I do plan to do the delete soon rather than replacing my egr. How long would I have to do this before is can harm the car? I am not worried about emissions (I live in FL). I was planning to wait until I purchased a few more mods so I can have the car tuned all at once...But I will have this done sooner if it can harm my car.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:19 AM

I dont personally think it will "harm" your car per say. I just feel like if the system isnt funtioning properly it doesnt return the gasses back into the manifold. which is why your CEL is on. I would try to do it asap though.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by rich3389
Same question, is the picture in the OP the good/preferred method or the old one?
Edit:
Here is what I did, following the new method to remove the charcoal canister. I connected the two hoses (4 & 12) with a barrel that I cut off the stock charcoal canister(shown in figure 2) and capped off the bottom nipple of part 15 with a 3/8 cap(could not find a 12 mm one that it says to get in the instructions) and put the part 15 assembly back into the stock location, but rotated so the hoses have less bends.
I also disconnected the solenoid and tucked the plug up under the bumper.

why did you cap the breather for the gas tank off? when i did that my gas tank would build up so much pressure the car would have trouble starting after a bit and i would have to open the gas cap to release pressure.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by IFuXwiTuZ
why did you cap the breather for the gas tank off? when i did that my gas tank would build up so much pressure the car would have trouble starting after a bit and i would have to open the gas cap to release pressure.
The gas tank is not capped off... The white plastic piece that the hose runs to vents up into the chassis... The bottom port is capped so dirt doesn't enter the system, but it still vents in the chassis. This is done exactly as the new preferred method instructions describe.

Last edited by rich3389; Feb 13, 2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by IFuXwiTuZ
I dont personally think it will "harm" your car per say. I just feel like if the system isnt funtioning properly it doesnt return the gasses back into the manifold. which is why your CEL is on. I would try to do it asap though.
Thanks for the feedback. Will be getting the car tuned soon, so will have it done then.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 03:36 AM
Evolved Member

ok i have a question that i havent seen in this thread. if i tap the head can i leave the egr/evap setup connected for visual emissions testing and also not throw a code? would i still need to get everything turned off in the ecu? i live in Pa and i think theres a visual test.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by evoxsi
ok i have a question that i havent seen in this thread. if i tap the head can i leave the egr/evap setup connected for visual emissions testing and also not throw a code? would i still need to get everything turned off in the ecu? i live in Pa and i think theres a visual test.
If you tap the head, like I did, and block the flow there, you won't be getting the combustion mixture the ECU is thinking its getting. So I would believe you have to disable otherwise your tune will be off. From different articles I read on the EGR, some indicate a cooling effect that allows for additional timing going so far as arguing an improvement in gas mileage. Whatever it is, if the ECU doesn't know that the exhaust isn't in fact getting there, its not best, or correct. You need to disable it even if you leave it for visual inspection.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 04:32 AM

Do you guys run the vent hose off the Valve cover back into the intake manifold or just cap off the port that goes into the intake manifold?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

well I changed to a VTA catch can with AN fittings, so I deleted the PCV and capped off the open vacuum source on the intake manifold

Quick Reply: How-To: EGR Removal VIII/IX (and charcoal/EVAP canister)