Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

How-To: EGR Removal VIII/IX (and charcoal/EVAP canister)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2010, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by evolancer04
Any specific brand you went with? I was thinking about the high temp locktite, but i was curious what you used since you have had no issues since you installed your plug.
it was high temp loctite.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoryder
cool, thanks
Old Jun 21, 2010, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
High temp loctite (PST 592) is only rated to 400 degrees. I doubt it is doing much after the first hour of starting the car.

Even a high-temp RTV is only rated to 650 degrees, intermittent:

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81409.../dp/B000HBIB80

If you're really worried about it leaking:

http://www.deaconindustries.com/products.html
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Deacon products sound Luke the business
Old Jun 21, 2010, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EGbeater
High temp loctite (PST 592) is only rated to 400 degrees. I doubt it is doing much after the first hour of starting the car.

Even a high-temp RTV is only rated to 650 degrees, intermittent:

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81409.../dp/B000HBIB80

If you're really worried about it leaking:

http://www.deaconindustries.com/products.html
looks like a good idea but to bad it is not sold to the general public
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:13 PM

Would it be possible/worth the effort to just buy a block plate between the EGR valve and the intake? If so, do I need to get a tune or anything to not throw a CEL or risk any lean/rich spots?

I drive my Evo mostly on highways so I bet it throws some serious amount of exhaust gases into my intake
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

^ best way to block egr is to plug the hole in the head. Putting a plate only allows you to remove the egr. THe exhaust gases still have a port to rich the intake manifold.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

^ best way to block egr is to plug the hole in the head. Putting a plate only allows you to remove the egr. THe exhaust gases still have a port to rich the intake manifold.
This isn't entirely true... with a plate where the EGR used to be, you can block off the gases from reaching IM plenum, because there's two sides of the port - one side where the gases come from the head, and another where those gases are routed to the plenum after the TB.

BUT, you'll still be unnecessarily heating up the bottom of the IM (the port runs under the #4 runner), and as you can see from the picture of my DIY blockoff plate and OEM gasket, the hot gases actually corroded/ate away the edge of the OEM gasket on the "hot" side after only a few thousand miles, because of the heat of the EGR gases getting bottled up there. So it's not a good idea to just install the plate:

Name:  blownoutEGRgasket2.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  67.4 KB

The right side of the gasket is the side of the EGR port the gases come to from the head; the left (undamaged) side is the outlet up the IM/throttle body area.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe you're right. But, you'll still be heating up the IM and defeating the real purpose. Plug and plate need to be done for proper egr disabling.

Originally Posted by EGbeater
This isn't entirely true... with a plate where the EGR used to be, you can block off the gases from reaching IM plenum, because there's two sides of the port - one side where the gases come from the head, and another where those gases are routed to the plenum after the TB.

BUT, you'll still be unnecessarily heating up the bottom of the IM (the port runs under the #4 runner), and as you can see from the picture of my DIY blockoff plate and OEM gasket, the hot gases actually corroded/ate away the edge of the OEM gasket on the "hot" side after only a few thousand miles, because of the heat of the EGR gases getting bottled up there. So it's not a good idea to just install the plate:

The right side of the gasket is the side of the EGR port the gases come to from the head; the left (undamaged) side is the outlet up the IM/throttle body area.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe you're right. But, you'll still be heating up the IM and defeating the real purpose. Plug and plate need to be done for proper egr disabling.
Agreed. I've since installed the 1/8" NPT allen-head plug in my head (conveniently, I melted a piston , so the head had to come off anyway).

Took me a while to find that hardware (all Home Depot had was a square-head 1/8" NPT plug, which I didn't see how to drive far enough into the EGR port)... eventually, I got a hold of them through a local Fastenal store (not the closest one to my house, but driving to a farther-away store was still way cheaper than ordering it through McMaster-Carr). They're only about 30 cents each at Fastenal, IIRC.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

I got my plug from Jegs
Old Jul 15, 2010, 04:36 PM

this is awesome Ill be doing this, this winter. after removing everything do you have to change the data in the computer or get tuned right of way
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just finishing up w/the EGR delete mod...will it be OK for me to drive the car 140 miles to AWD motorsports for a new tune?
Or will the car run like **** and have issues before the ECU is modified?

I removed all EGR components, charcoal canister, FPR solenoid, plugged hole in head and installed EGR block-off plate, Magnus IM heat barrier gasket, and had IM & EM ported by Buschur.

Just wondering if anyone knows if I can drive the car to the tuner before the ECU codes are modified to disable the EGR & FPR, etc or must the car be towed?

Thanks
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mchristian
Just finishing up w/the EGR delete mod...will it be OK for me to drive the car 140 miles to AWD motorsports for a new tune?
Or will the car run like **** and have issues before the ECU is modified?

I removed all EGR components, charcoal canister, FPR solenoid, plugged hole in head and installed EGR block-off plate, Magnus IM heat barrier gasket, and had IM & EM ported by Buschur.

Just wondering if anyone knows if I can drive the car to the tuner before the ECU codes are modified to disable the EGR & FPR, etc or must the car be towed?

Thanks
iv been driving mine with out the ecu mod just dont floor it, keep off boost if it needs a map
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks to everyone that has contributed on this topic...finished the mod and love the results!
I found that the hole in the head was easy to tap...
I used a slightly larger tap and plug than was suggested.
Here are the parts I used to do the job.

Quick Reply: How-To: EGR Removal VIII/IX (and charcoal/EVAP canister)